JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Home Depot recently changed their veterans policy.:( A Veteran must be retired or have a service connected disability. No more run of the mill veterans discounts. I wrote and complained, to no avail.

A friend says I'm not a veteran because I didn't serve 20 years and retire or serve in a shooting war. I guess overflying Soviet "trawlers" in the 80's doesn't count anything. Most of the time we even used all of our fingers when we waved at them. (I like to say I helped to protect the island of Oahu against Soviet invasion for three years during the 80's. :D )

If places offer a discount for those who are in fact retired from the armed services as opposed to those (like myself) who served (4 or 6 years) then great, I respect and appreciate that, but it should be called it a "retired veteran's discount" instead of simply a "veteran's discount".

In any case it certainly doesn't hurt to ask for it.

Yeah, if HD is going to specify within the ranks of Veterans (retired, service connected disabilities, left/right handed, favorite TV show) it would be informative to specify that in black and white on a dated sheet of paper somewhere, perhaps near the cash register, in order to preclude guesswork/contention about the policy du jour when it's time to show ID and pay.

BAMCIS, your friend who says you are not a Veteran is applying an erroneous interpretation. With few exceptions (entry-level release, OTH discharge, etc.), just about anyone who served is a Veteran.

BTW, I took photos of a Russky overflight of my carrier group on Christmas day decades ago. I'll look for the slide and scan it. But I seem to recall the small dot is the Bear and the tiny dots are the Tomcats. Perhaps you'd already exchanged greetings in ASL from your P3 by that point?

Either way, thank you for your service.

Home Depot recently changed their veterans policy.:( A Veteran must be retired or have a service connected disability. No more run of the mill veterans discounts. I wrote and complained, to no avail.

Not quite correct. Here is some information I found out there.

A more accurate bit of information it seems.
Also from what I was told, All Stores give the 10% discount with proof, such as the dd214 with a picture ID alongside or the Veterans card from the VA Medical etc. The website apparently does not offer it because they cannot verify the Vet status and they don't offer the discount to the fraudsters. :)
SO they still offer the 10% discount. They just verify that you are truly a vet.
Called them for the above info. and Got the info below at the website shown.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Home-Depot-No-Longer-Honors-all-Veterans/119632848120142

" ****UPDATE TO HOME DEPOT'S POLICY AT THE BOTTOM OF ARTICLE**** So we have been hearing that there seems to be a lot of confusion concerning Military discounts offered by Home Depot and Lowe's. Seems you ask two people and you will get two different answers to the question. So we did a little research and found out that […]

Okay guys, you have to help yourself. Lowes and Home Depot have a list of accepted cards at each register.
County and Veteran State credentials are not on there. Some stores may honor it and that is great!
Check the list and get the proper card. Not bubbleguming you guys out, but work the system in your favor.

I got my VA card from the VA hospital. You don't actually need to be using the VA for your medical. You just have to qualify for the card. All Veterans qualify for the card! And actually some benefits.

I have had my card for years now and have saved thousands of dollars by now! Its a good deal! I have rebuilt my kitchen, bought new appliances. Bought a UTV at Home Depot. All 10% off. Granite counter top was on sale, I got it plus the 10%! My wife wont go shopping without me…..LOL

Again, help yourself! Forget what they wont accept, get the card they will accept and start making "money".

Also, Lowes give me 10% every day on everything!

Home Depends on the store.

Get your VA ID card NOW.

THANK YOU Lowes and Home Depot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"

Last Edited:
You can take your DD214 in when you renew your drivers license and they will put Veteran on you Drivers License. It's what I use at Lowes. Home Depot in Medford said they will not accept Drivers License any longer. So it's now off the Lowes when supplies are needed!

Not quite correct. Here is some information I found out there.

A more accurate bit of information it seems.
Also from what I was told, All Stores give the 10% discount with proof, such as the dd214 with a picture ID alongside or the Veterans card from the VA Medical etc. The website apparently does not offer it because they cannot verify the Vet status and they don't offer the discount to the fraudsters. :)
SO they still offer the 10% discount. They just verify that you are truly a vet.
Called them for the above info. and Got the info below at the website shown.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Home-Depot-No-Longer-Honors-all-Veterans/119632848120142

" ****UPDATE TO HOME DEPOT'S POLICY AT THE BOTTOM OF ARTICLE**** So we have been hearing that there seems to be a lot of confusion concerning Military discounts offered by Home Depot and Lowe's. Seems you ask two people and you will get two different answers to the question. So we did a little research and found out that […]

Okay guys, you have to help yourself. Lowes and Home Depot have a list of accepted cards at each register.
County and Veteran State credentials are not on there. Some stores may honor it and that is great!
Check the list and get the proper card. Not bubbleguming you guys out, but work the system in your favor.

I got my VA card from the VA hospital. You don't actually need to be using the VA for your medical. You just have to qualify for the card. All Veterans qualify for the card! And actually some benefits.

I have had my card for years now and have saved thousands of dollars by now! Its a good deal! I have rebuilt my kitchen, bought new appliances. Bought a UTV at Home Depot. All 10% off. Granite counter top was on sale, I got it plus the 10%! My wife wont go shopping without me…..LOL

Again, help yourself! Forget what they wont accept, get the card they will accept and start making "money".

Also, Lowes give me 10% every day on everything!

Home Depends on the store.

Get your VA ID card NOW.

THANK YOU Lowes and Home Depot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"
I have a VA ID card and they won't accept that anymore. It's like I said, service connected disability or retired, I did leave out active, but I didn't think that needed to be pointed out.
I did help myself, that's what prompted me to get a VA medical ID card, and it worked for a couple of years. But not anymore. They've also severely restricted what is available to the 10% discount. I couldn't even get a discount on Veterans Day because home heating pellets do not qualify.
This is really an unfortunate policy shift for them. I'm guessin they think it will help the bottom line, but the run of the mill, nuthin special vets will be going to Lowes if they can. One last thing, I do not fault HD if they do not want to have a Veterans discount. They can set whichever business policies they choose. Just don't tells us that a person is only a veteran if that person has a service connected disabilty or spent a significant part of his life in the military. 1 year, 4 years, or 30 years, a medically discharged or honorably discharged Veteran is a Veteran

Good place to test this.
G1098Lt.jpg
Darn just shows an attachment. Thought site improvements would fix this.

I have a VA ID card and they won't accept that anymore. It's like I said, service connected disability or retired, I did leave out active, but I didn't think that needed to be pointed out.
I did help myself, that's what prompted me to get a VA medical ID card, and it worked for a couple of years. But not anymore. They've also severely restricted what is available to the 10% discount. I couldn't even get a discount on Veterans Day because home heating pellets do not qualify.
This is really an unfortunate policy shift for them. I'm guessin they think it will help the bottom line, but the run of the mill, nuthin special vets will be going to Lowes if they can. One last thing, I do not fault HD if they do not want to have a Veterans discount. They can set whichever business policies they choose. Just don't tells us that a person is only a veteran if that person has a service connected disabilty or spent a significant part of his life in the military. 1 year, 4 years, or 30 years, a medically discharged or honorably discharged Veteran is a Veteran

I just talked to them while getting some hardware today and they accepted it fine.
Also what they do for vets.

https://twitter.com/TeamDepot

http://www.homedepotfoundation.org/?&searchRedirect=veterans discount on merchandise&redAB=A&NCNI-5

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
Funny you all are talking about this today.
Today I saw a guy wearing this exact hat proudly. Of course many COLD WAR VETS saw combat while others were only "ON CALL" so to speak. There are many levels of sacrifice and contribution in the Armed Services but yes I feel if a business wants to reward only the ones listed I'm O.K. with it;

Current active duty or Reserved
Retired (20 years)
Service Disabled
Combat should be included (How easily do you prove that BTW?) but they usually are not.

My service doesn't include any of the above.

When I got my new DL a couple of years ago with VET on it, I started asking for discounts here and there with bigger purchases and it was either yes or no. No one asked to see my I.D. I wished I had started asking earlier! Now with the VET designation on the DLs companies are starting to tighten up the $tandards on who gets a discount or stopping them all together.
My ONLY BEEF is that they post it loud and clear at the registers who qualifies and what they require. I've been to the same businesses recently that one week it's yes and other weeks it's no or let me get my manager or some other BS.
It's kind of embarrassing to me, like I'm bragging about my service or something. I'm a low key guy in public and don't want some public discussion about this subject at the register while people are waiting in line behind me.
Make it clear and plain to see businesses!!!

BTW I liked the guy's hat. He should be proud!

G1098Lt-Large.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top