JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It was an honor to serve my country and my fellow citizens.

Recognition of one's personal deeds is far and away outshone by the achievements of the men and women who, as a whole, preserved our way of life over the generations.

Godspeed to our fallen comrades and to all veterans, Thank You For Your Service.

Very true...and they are both a lot of work and a lot of fun.

But...being a Army Veteran teaching in a Navy town is a bit like being back in a LRRP / LRSD unit...
Like I am a 100 miles behind "enemy" lines...:D

Just kidding for all you Navy Veterans out there...To me it don't matter what branch you served in or what your job was...I simply respect the fact that your served...:D
Andy
You should have told them "yes I am old, but not Captain America old...."

HEROES OF A GENERATION: OSS spy Martin Gelb, 100 years old.
It was 1944. Martin Gelb, an orthodox Jew from Brooklyn, was behind Nazi lines with a .45 and a Tommy gun.
"I was asked to do a lot of strange things, but you follow orders. It did get a little crazy," the 100-year-old OSS veteran from Hudson, N.H., told the Herald last week.
He was part of William "Wild Bill" Donovan's small crew of intelligence operatives working with the French resistance, hunting down German scientists and rounding up war criminals.
He was an expert radio operator who knew Morse code and International Morse code who slipped into France and Germany along with the D-Day invasion. He remained in Europe all the way through the Nuremberg trials. . . .
I was assigned to an advance radio group that would contact resistance fighters," he said. "Everything was secret. So secret."
He doesn't highlight that he was a Jew fighting against the perpetrators of the Holocaust, but he doesn't hide the fact that he was driven to succeed. He's partially blind but his mind is sharp. Martin Gelb is one of the Heroes of a Generation the Herald is chronicling.
But unlike other World War II veterans, his bravery remained top secret until records from the Office of Strategic Services — the precursor to the CIA — were declassified in 2008. He was recently awarded the OSS Congressional Gold Medal for his service. . . .
Gelb recalls a mission to capture a German engineer in Germany, only to lose him to the Russians who got there first. That "engineer," Gelb said, was involved with nuclear science. He had to shoot his way to safety using his Tommy gun that day.
He avoided snipers, was almost shot in the Battle of the Bulge, hauled German industrialists to the Nuremberg trials and said he once got into trouble with Gen. Omar Bradley — commander of the First Army — when he refused to leave an officer's mess hall because he had an enlisted man with him.
"Bradley asked me 'Who's your commanding officer?' And I said William Donovan."
"Wild Bill? I know Wild Bill," Bradley answered, Gelb said. And the general let the two men have lunch.

NINTCHDBPICT000538608655.jpg

Over Dover, 750k Poppies to honor the war dead

more photos at link

Sorry, couldn't resist lol. Cheers to all my fellow veterans.

View attachment 631190

And to all my Navy brethren who gave me many fine rides on their ships while I was in the Marines View attachment 631191

'Every man a Rifleman' is a very useful fantasy.

When the stuff starts flying through the air, you have a supply Lcpl eager to show that he is just as good as a grunt.

It's not until the gunfight continues into the next hour or the operation stretches into the second week, that you see the difference between a fully trained 0311 and a supply clerk who does the occasional ruck march and the annual rifle qual.

Many times the the shootout is won before the supply Lcpl hits the end of his physical and mental endurance. Often an additional 5 or 6 eager shooters has made the difference between winning and losing.

So some funny questions today at school ....
( We are actually having our Veterans Day Assembly on Tuesday the 12th )
I teach in a elementary school...so some of my answers are tailored to that age group....

I was asked :
What branch I served in...
( The Army )

What I did...
( I jumped out of planes and helicopters , checked things out that were on the map and looked for the bad guys...)
I am not going into just what a LRRP / LRSD Unit actually does with a group of elementary school students .

Why did you jump from planes and Helicopters....were they broken...? :eek: :D

Did you fight in any wars...?
( Yes , I have four combat tours )

Oh did you know my Grandpa...He was in the Army too...?

Was WW1 a tough war...?:eek: :D
Fun stuff.
Andy

I've been to some of them assemblies and it was a real positive experience. I will never forget one a few years back and not only were the students sharp and respectful they presented some very interesting questions so it showed that they looked further than what they had been fed by the MSM. What really impressed me was the history in that cafeteria at lunch time. Mr. Buckles, who was the last living WWI Veteran Navajo Code Talkers, Tuskeegee Airmen and some very highly decorated Veterans from WWII, Korea & Vietnam. I was a bomb loader on an aircraft carrier from '65-'69 and was just a just a kid off the farm from Crabtree Oregon doing his job. I felt extremely humble to be in the company of some of those folks. Bottom line, we all went where were sent and did our job well and now we are all just Veterans and durn proud of it. One group that gets ignored many times are the women who served and I have the utmost respect for them. We were wired in back in my day but every woman that has served over the years was a volunteer. They got some class for sure.

Operation Urgent Fury

Operation Allied Force

Last Edited:
Operation Restore Hope

Operation Desert Shield

Operation Desert Storm

Operation Enduring Freedom

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT