JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That was truly despicable! They should be charged criminally for failure to do their duty as medical people! They should never be able to work in any position where someone must rely upon them.

Unfortunately, I think this sort of thing is pretty common in nursing homes. You have a very tough and mentally taxing job that pays basically minimum wage. There are few that do it that really have empathy for those in their charge. There are good folks in these long term care places but I think there are more jaded and burnt out ones who simply don't care.

As far as the laughing goes... As an EMT I see people laughing all the time while people die. Its how many people cope and when your day to day life happens around dying people you become complacent and detached. Does that make it ok? No, of course not. But I have seen it first hand and know that the people laughing while we were doing CPR on a dying man were good people and meant no disrespect.

Is that the case here? it does not seem to be but from just the short clip its hard to have full context. There is a very real chance this person had episodes like this daily, maybe for years, as many of these people do. The last 1500 times the caregivers came to the room it was nothing, this time the patient dies. The care givers should give 100 percent each time they interact with the patient, however that is simply not the care you get from a jaded, burnt out minimum wage caregiver in a nursing home.

I am not trying to make excuses. Quite the contrary. I am saying I suspect this is probably pretty normal behavior for one of these types of places and why I personally would just as soon be dead as too confined to a bed in the care of uncaring folks.

Some of the toughest jobs pay the lowest...

Compelling to share a hopefully balancing perspective; the Portland VA have provided me with a great deal of compassion, support, and care.

College (saved my life).
Dental
Medical (Ortho, PC, & Surgical)
Perscriptions ( a bit too much :D)
Compensation
The IRIS network
Healthvet
Tough Love

I had to learn the system; but it has worked for me. This article is not representative of all VA facilities. Thank God

Experienced Personal Opinion ... Subjective ...

As a retired RN one of the big reasons I love NOT still being in the field is dealing with all the death. Death on a constant basis. Patients who slowly just die. Some easily, some go very hard into the night. Before I resigned my last job, dealing with it all became very difficult.

Same as being a fire fighter or EMT. Or Police. Or especially combat military. Geriatric care is particularly tough. The dying patient may have had specific required directions regarding emergency intervention during his last minutes of life. Depends. Legally binding usually.

I can understand some laughing. I can understand not giving invasive medical procedures to prolong the suffering. What I do understand now is that life is precious. We need to understand dying is just part of living. Nursing home employment sucks. Takes a special person.

Respectfully.

I acted as a caregiver for my Mary until she died. After an in-window air conditioner fell on her head and a doctor gave her Dilantin to act as an anti-convulsant that destroyed her transplanted kidney, I watched her life slowly ebb away. Trust me it isn't easy and I understand what they deal with.

Laughing at a dying veteran is NOT acceptable.

Unfortunately, I think this sort of thing is pretty common in nursing homes. You have a very tough and mentally taxing job that pays basically minimum wage. There are few that do it that really have empathy for those in their charge. There are good folks in these long term care places but I think there are more jaded and burnt out ones who simply don't care.

As far as the laughing goes... As an EMT I see people laughing all the time while people die. Its how many people cope and when your day to day life happens around dying people you become complacent and detached. Does that make it ok? No, of course not. But I have seen it first hand and know that the people laughing while we were doing CPR on a dying man were good people and meant no disrespect.

Is that the case here? it does not seem to be but from just the short clip its hard to have full context. There is a very real chance this person had episodes like this daily, maybe for years, as many of these people do. The last 1500 times the caregivers came to the room it was nothing, this time the patient dies. The care givers should give 100 percent each time they interact with the patient, however that is simply not the care you get from a jaded, burnt out minimum wage caregiver in a nursing home.

I am not trying to make excuses. Quite the contrary. I am saying I suspect this is probably pretty normal behavior for one of these types of places and why I personally would just as soon be dead as too confined to a bed in the care of uncaring folks.

I agree with what you're saying. I'll admit to saying stupid stuff at work. Like when a felon becomes a suspect in a shooting and I make an I-594 quip.

Lying on the stand is a whole other deal.

I fully agree. Without putting your self in the shoes of the, possibly, over-worked underpaid staff. A staff that may have been treated like crap by the administrators of the home. And, possibly, all manor of demeaning treatment, on a daily basis. This one time......
If after review of the employees behavior they find a consistent pattern of this kind of thing, then there should be appropriate punishment for those involved.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top