JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the market for a vest. It will be used for carbine classes and competition. I am tired of shoving mags in my pockets when I don't have space in comfortable places on my belt for more mag holsters. I don't need a super fancy modular molle vest and I don't need armor. Pretty much all I need is something that holds magazines that I can just throw on top of whatever I am wearing.

Right now I am thinking about this one:
BLACKHAWK! Urban Assault Vest - BLACKHAWK!

But this one also looks ok and claims it holds more rifle magazines (no dedicated pistol mag pouches though, but you could toss those in the big pockets on top):
<broken link removed>

Which would you prefer and do you have any other suggestions? If anyone has used these vests are they comfortable and are the magazine pouches easy and fast to use?

I am in the market for a vest. It will be used for carbine classes and competition. I am tired of shoving mags in my pockets when I don't have space in comfortable places on my belt for more mag holsters. I don't need a super fancy modular molle vest and I don't need armor. Pretty much all I need is something that holds magazines that I can just throw on top of whatever I am wearing.

Right now I am thinking about this one:
BLACKHAWK! Urban Assault Vest - BLACKHAWK!

But this one also looks ok and claims it holds more rifle magazines (no dedicated pistol mag pouches though, but you could toss those in the big pockets on top):
<broken link removed>

Which would you prefer and do you have any other suggestions? If anyone has used these vests are they comfortable and are the magazine pouches easy and fast to use?

I a have UTG (Leapers) that looks like the Blackhawk Omega Elite and I like it very much. It only cost $50 and has held up very well. I know it's made in China but the Blackhawk vests probably are too. Leapers (UTG) has a pretty good reputation when it comes to their vests. Check out these sellers. I have purchased a lot of stuff from them and they are excellent people to deal with. I think they are both the same company.:s0155:

OpticsPlanet.com - Binoculars, Sunglasses, Night Vision Goggles, Riflescopes, Flashlights, Telescopes, Rangefinders, Microscopes - Hunting, Outdoor, Science, & Military Gear

Tactical Store - Red Dot Sights, Riflescopes, Night Vision, Holsters, Tactical Gear, Binoculars, Rangefinders, Shooting Glasses, Spotting Scopes & more on Sale

I a have UTG (Leapers) that looks like the Blackhawk Omega Elite and I like it very much. It only cost $50 and has held up very well. I know it's made in China but the Blackhawk vests probably are too. Leapers (UTG) has a pretty good reputation when it comes to their vests. Check out these sellers. I have purchased a lot of stuff from them and they are excellent people to deal with. I think they are both the same company.:s0155:

OpticsPlanet.com - Binoculars, Sunglasses, Night Vision Goggles, Riflescopes, Flashlights, Telescopes, Rangefinders, Microscopes - Hunting, Outdoor, Science, & Military Gear

Tactical Store - Red Dot Sights, Riflescopes, Night Vision, Holsters, Tactical Gear, Binoculars, Rangefinders, Shooting Glasses, Spotting Scopes & more on Sale

Ehh, you think UTG will hold up in a carbine class? :( How much hard use have you put it through?

I have two vests, a 5.11 plate carrier ($15 on clearance) and a TacForce crossdraw ($45). Both are cheap, but I would rather put my money toward an Esstac or Eagle rig. Check out my youtube video on internet yardsales. You can pick up the nicer rigs from the guys that have put them to hard use.

I was looking at that one as well. Please let us know how it works for you.

I will, here is an extensive review of it:
Bravo Company - BCM 03 MSF Chest Harness [2009-08-01] - 03DESIGNGROUP

EDIT: ooo, this looks good too, cheap and simple
http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle_M4_Chest_Rig_LE_3_Mag_p/eag.563.htm
Darn, now I have to make a decision again. :|
EAG.563-3.jpg

I will, here is an extensive review of it:
Bravo Company - BCM 03 MSF Chest Harness [2009-08-01] - 03DESIGNGROUP

EDIT: ooo, this looks good too, cheap and simple
Eagle M4 Chest Rig, LE 3 Mag
Darn, now I have to make a decision again. :|

Those are good. You should also check out these. And there is also <broken link removed>. He is local and does good work. I bought one of his drop pouches and its stout and built well. Very similar to the maxpedition rollypoly dump pouches. Worth taking a look at. Not necessarily the cheapest, but with Shaddox you can get exactly what you want.

As for vests. I had a UTG tactical vest and some old surplus LBE's and i didn't care for either. I never got either to fit right and they were just not built well at all. I got a couple voodoo tactical drop leg shingles in a trade which are ok, but I would be a lot happier with a chest rig of some sort. Simple is better. I like the mini chest rigs for simplicity's sake. Just be sure to get a dump pouch to throw your empties, or you can just put full mags in there too if you want. There are many ways to skin this cat, and really the thing to do would be to find folks that have the various pieces of web gear you are looking for and ask opinions, maybe even try it out. Practical rifle at Tri county is a good place to go to see what people are running and what works and what doesn't.

I have this <broken link removed>

I would say its a great quality well built vest but if your looking for LBE or want armor its not the way to go.

shaddox tactical vest are nice, he made this one for me, with a 3-30rnd mag integrated pouch to the vest, so i'm always carrying 3 mags, then I bought about 5 double mag pouches from him, heres that one
View attachment 200503

Then I had Clay at Shaddox Tactical custom make a chest bib with a belly band that holds 4-30rnd AR-15 magazines, with molle so I can add a whole other set of mags on top of the 4, i'd already be wearing.
1282957333.jpg

The best vest that I ever used was actually a chest harness from HSGI...
Denali New Version

HSGI has shown me the most well-built load gear I have ever seen or used. Gene from HSGI offers unlimited modular options as well.

This, of course, seconded by the Israeli issue gear. Although great, isn't very modular. (This, though, is changing)
IDF switching to new vests as lesson from 2006 Lebanon War

Older variant...
ReasonsToJoinArmy_01.jpg

Lol, that one has WAY too much stuff on it. I'm looking for something more streamlined and lightweight. A few extra mags with a small molle area for maybe 1 or 2 extra pouches is perfect. I don't need to carry around my entire gun collection, hehe.

Lol, that one has WAY too much stuff on it. I'm looking for something more streamlined and lightweight. A few extra mags with a small molle area for maybe 1 or 2 extra pouches is perfect. I don't need to carry around my entire gun collection, hehe.

Ever thought about a drop leg harness instead of a vest?

Leg%20CP.jpg

I use leg harness all the time...it balances the weight on my other leg (since my other leg holds my pistol).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top