JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've tried drop leg platforms and I don't really care for them much. All that weight that moves around when you walk, feels kinda meh. I'd rather have stuff on my belt and chest.

I've tried drop leg platforms and I don't really care for them much. All that weight that moves around when you walk, feels kinda meh. I'd rather have stuff on my belt and chest.

lol

Then I'm not going to be too much help, I gave away my Blackhawk! Tac Vest to a friend of mine...I sew and customize a lot of my gear to talor to my needs.

You'd be surprised the versatility you can get with just a sewing machine and some 550 cord. Bags and vests that don't have MOLLE attachments, I make by sewing on stripped out 550 cord (meaning I take out the white nylon innards).

Heck, if you knew how to sew, why not just run down to WalMart, buy yourself a few yards of whatever material suits you and make your own vest? I talor my own slings and such now-a-days. I got tired of the military telling me I have to put my nametage here and rank there one week then telling me something completely different the next...I also sewed IR glint tape on virtually EVERYTHING...so I got into sewing my own gear.

If this doesn't float your boat, then I'd just jump on cheaperthandirt.com and buy yourself a Tacti-cool vest. One thing I must warn you with that UTG (Under The Gun) stuff is that the threading SUCKS. I've had to re-enforce all the threading on the UTG stuff so it wouldn't fail when I needed it.

If I were you I'd buy a plate carrier (without plates). They can be pretty concealed and you can change up your pouches where ever you want them. Buy quality, if you spend a couple hundred bucks on a class, dobyou want your $50 vest to fail and ruin it for you? Spend $150-200 and it will last you forever. MOLLE is great, since you can move everything around to exactly where you want it.

Do you have this or have you seen one in person? I am pushing 240 and am looking for a vest for bigger guys. Also looking for a modular as I am a lefty and would like to personalize it for that purpose.
its highly adjustable, its got a cummerbund, easy to personalize. ive seen it in person at the WAC show and its your best bet.
the only downfall i can see is you cant get it in multicam.

Unless you have armor for them plate carriers aren't your best option.
In my opinion, it's best to have that option..

Perhaps down the road you may want to add some soft armor or plates.

I found it. This is PERFECT for my needs.
BCM 03 MSF Chest Harness

It's funny how several people can have the same idea and get a similar result. I have a setup I put together from Tactical Tailor that BCM's version resembles closely.

I used my rig in a Larry Vickers's carbine class and several other times. It works well. In the cold months, it can be worn over jackets. During the warmer months, unlike a vest it is open and does not trap heat.

Several of the higher profile instructors (including Larry) mention that the heavier kits (i.e. plate carriers and load-bearing harnesses that carry more mags and gear) often end up being too much kit for the students. One has to keep in mind that there's a difference between a soldier/Marine who has trained and is conditioned to carry that much weight all day and someone going to a class who while in decent shape is not accustomed to walking around with his loadout. It can really wear on someone who is not used to it. -Even something light like the BCM setup with four loaded mags, water, rifle, and presumably pistol and pistol mags on the belt does wear on a person who is not used to the weight.

The BCM harness should be fine for a carbine class. One thing though- In the picture they have the mags facing to the center because it gives the picture symmetry. When you actually use it, you want all you mags facing the same direction because it makes reloads easier. You want to be able to grab the mags the same way each time. When they are set up in mirror fashion like they are in the picture, you have to alter your approach which makes it more awkward.

I used my rig in a Larry Vickers's carbine class and several other times. It works well. In the cold months, it can be worn over jackets. During the warmer months, unlike a vest it is open and does not trap heat.
That was my idea too since I plan on using it at practical rifle which goes on all-year round. Also, then if I decide to buy armor later I can just get a concealable rig and throw this on top.

The BCM harness should be fine for a carbine class. One thing though- In the picture they have the mags facing to the center because it gives the picture symmetry. When you actually use it, you want all you mags facing the same direction because it makes reloads easier. You want to be able to grab the mags the same way each time. When they are set up in mirror fashion like they are in the picture, you have to alter your approach which makes it more awkward.
Well of course... that should be common sense! :)

I've got a Blackhawk STRIKE vest and the only bubblegum I have about it is that it feels kinda small. I'm 6', 195lbs and I had to let the laces most of the way out for it to fit comfortably across the best. Stomach was fine, but it was really tight up top.

Once I got that right it was very comfortable, though.

If you're ever in Salem check out blackwater tactical. They are a vendor on here also. They have tons of different vests you can try on plus they are seriously the best customer service friendly people I have EVER dealt with at any store. Read their reviews and you will see this is a similar experience for everyone. Plus if they don't have th exact one you're looking for they are always happy to order stuff in for you.

If you're ever in Salem check out blackwater tactical. They are a vendor on here also. They have tons of different vests you can try on plus they are seriously the best customer service friendly people I have EVER dealt with at any store. Read their reviews and you will see this is a similar experience for everyone. Plus if they don't have th exact one you're looking for they are always happy to order stuff in for you.

Best post in this thread, and 100% accurate too. Jason and Nate are class acts and always get my business.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top