JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it was a honey badger, him and all his family would be dead and the honey badger would be bragging on here.

I just pictured it changing the screen name and all on here. Picture of its Honey Badger kids as the avatar. On here starting threads on how humans are bugs to squash out....soon they will take over all of our accounts.

Hell soon a Raccoon may be the one typing on here. Thing heard the hose last night when it walked through the yard and ran like a bat out of hell. The hose WORKS!! It does come back but at least I can keep it away from the dog until I find a way to trap it...or until I lose and am not longer the one typing here.

Be a man and eliminate it, christ almighty it isn't that hard.
If the animal has lost it's fear of people it is a potential threat to children and stupid adults. You can listen to bleeding hearts and keep trying to trap it and then what, let the dam thing loose someplace where it just finds its way back to people who feed it? Or you can sprout some hair on your balls and neutralize the threat.
Shat, there's probably a couple dozen people on this forum that would come to your house and do it for you as a favor.

If the animal has lost it's fear of people it is a potential threat to children and stupid adults. You can listen to bleeding hearts and keep trying to trap it and then what, let the dam thing loose someplace where it just finds its way back to people who feed it? Or you can sprout some hair on your balls and neutralize the threat.
Shat, there's probably a couple dozen people on this forum that would come to your house and do it for you as a favor.

Preach it, brother Reggie.

So you are saying killing a Raccoon makes me grow hair on my balls??!!! Should have said that so long ago. My wife will be so happy to see them come into their own!

Man I agree - while I do my best to 'commune' with nature there are some elements that just don't fit in the plan and raccoons are one of them. Heck I have deer on my property every day - they lay down with their fawns and nibble on the grass but present NO threat to humans or animals so they get a free pass. Racoons are very invasive, will become aggressive and demanding of food if fed only once by a person and will literally destroy a house if they get inside and are left alone. I had some friends that owned a vacation house in Crooked River Ranch several years ago and showed up one spring to move in and upon entry thought they had been burglarized. After looking over the mess they realized nothing was missing but the house was a disaster. They eventually discovered footprints and droppings which identified the perpetrators.

They are no fun but killing is not my first resort with even them. They suck and are invasive but I am not one to jump right to killing any animal. Call me what you will but I will kill for food and that is the only time I do. I do not even kill fish unless I am sure they are going to be eaten and I fish almost weekly at least.
I know I can kill it. I know how to kill it. I will avoid doing so unless I must. Plus this thread has been entertaining as hell so what is there to complain about here??!!

Not going to read the entire thread but suppressors work! Hopefully they are legal in Oregon ;)

Growing up we had (ok, I'll be politically correct) racoons. We used to toss old bread out and they would come right after dark. One time I put out a spaghetti pot full of water because everyone knows they wash their food (right) and one of them put weight on one side and flipped it over on top of like 3 of them. They were so freaked we didn't see them for a week!

Careful, a racoon's claws will rip a German Shepard to shreds....
Just shoot it and get it over with o_O

I am starting to like the Raccoon more than people. It comes in my lawn/thread and is annoying but it has never whined after reading through a thread nobody made it read.
Yep I started it and folks responded. Nobody had to yet many have. Nobody forced the guys who think it is not manly to trap it to stop by. Kill every Raccoon or animal you can to prove you have hairy balls. I just look at mine and am confident in them.
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!

I let a coyote go last year with a shot under its belly and the son of a butch came back and killed my wife's favorite chicken in our yard 2 days later. It was out by my chicken house last night. It will have to go.

Urban wildlife are booming in towns now, and simply some of them become problematic. They adapt very well. No different than some scumbag human coming and violating your security. The situation with my sons pup shows what could happen.

We live in a semi-rural area where we get all sorts of animals in our yard: deer, racoon, possum, skunk, squirrels, all manner of birds, and occasionally, wild turkeys and pheasant. I've seen coyotes in the neighborhood, but never in our yard. We even had a peacock once - but that was very likely and escaped pet. The only animals I actively kill at this point are the moles, because they are the only ones that are destructive. We don't have pets, so there is no worry about them harming one of them.

The worst, due to the smell, are the skunks, but we rarely ever see them since they only come out late at night. Same with the raccoon and possum. They keep their distance from us and none have done us any harm or damage, so we just let them go. Now if that were to change, I'd likely try the trapping route first. I'd prefer to reserve offing the animals for extreme circumstances only. Like if I caught one of these animals attacking a neighbor pet (which we've never seen or heard happen in our 15 years at this address), I wouldn't hesitate to step in to save the pet. But beyond that, we enjoy our wildlife and consider it a great benefit of living where we do.

Actually the thing I'd most like to see gone are the doggone neighbor's cats that treat my yard as their personal toilet. That bugs me far more than the wild animals. I'll never understand why people/families that seem to be unable to care for themselves have a need to populate their neighborhood with 3, 4, 5 or 6 cats, which they pretty much ignore :confused:

You have three options; live with it, kill it, or ask it nicely to move to a different neighborhood. So basically, you have two options because raccoons don't like moving.

Trapping is a waste of time, unless you're planning to kill it, because under Oregon law if you do trap it you have to let it go right where you trapped it or kill it.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/living_with/raccoon.asp

Relocation of raccoons is illegal in Oregon: Raccoons are protected under state law and relocation of these animals is illegal. Raccoons may be trapped with a permit from the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, but they must be released at the same site or euthanized.

Ray

I let a coyote go last year with a shot under its belly and the son of a butch came back and killed my wife's favorite chicken in our yard 2 days later. It was out by my chicken house last night. It will have to go.

Urban wildlife are booming in towns now, and simply some of them become problematic. They adapt very well. No different than some scumbag human coming and violating your security. The situation with my sons pup shows what could happen.

Yeah your situation makes me want to rid myself of it. Why? Because you give logical reasons to take it out....Not just "kill it" since it is exists.
I wanted to give it at least a few days to try and trap it. Legal or illegal I know it is more illegal to fire a gun or kill one in any way in a residential neighborhood...Especially one I just moved to. I do not want to give off a "redneck" first impression to my neighbors.
Trap will stay out and hopefully it is interested in fish heads more so than the other bait. Otherwise it does have to be eliminated. Animal control said "we will check it out" but I have yet to see them. Which was another reason for a delay as the neighbors know they are supposed to deal with it.
By this weekend if I have not seen or heard from them it will be eliminated. I honestly think the snare advice is the best as I can set a few around every path into the yard.
Those who desperately want to see them dead are a little odd to me. I carry, shoot, fish, and hunt but unless it is for food killing ANYTHING is not a first resort. If it is yours I am sorry for you intellectual limitations.

Lots of good advice has been given to me on here for rodent control. I installed my "scare crow" sprinkler and my dog tried to kill it as he was getting sprayed in every direction he went....I let him out last night and forgot the thing was on but at least I know it works well! That should make a major difference around the garden. @NoFlinch that was some damn good advice. I had never heard of a motion sensing sprinkler before but they are great!

... I carry, shoot, fish, and hunt but unless it is for food ...

Funny you should mention that... last year I went to the "11th Annual Wild Game-Seafood-Barbeque Cook-Off" in Slidell, LA ( http://www.nola.com/community/st-tammany/index.ssf/2014/09/slidell_mayor_freddy_drennan_w_1.html ) and one of the competitors actually had raccoon. He smoked it and put some kind of sauce on it. It looked stringy, but was tender and tasty. Since then, I've actually been meaning to cook one up myself, but just haven't got around to it yet.

Just to get you started ....... http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,raccoon,FF.html , bon appétit.

Ray

So hypothetically speaking, how "would" you kill it?

I was messing with the bow but I truly suck at that. I have a CO2 pellet pistol that is a lot quieter than anything else I have got to work with so likely that unless I snare it. In that case I will do it silently with my bat. Not something I want to do but I want to avoid getting noticed here at least for a while.
I like to be a quiet good neighbor and lots of the folks here are retired and always home. Any way I can avoid them even being aware would be good.

A suppressed 22 shooting subsonic ammo is incredibly quiet! How quiet is it you ask? The brass hitting the pavement makes more noise that the shot.
In the immortal word of Larry the Cable Guy... "GET'ER DONE!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top