JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of mistakes but the biggest take-away is to harden the home. I know that area and it's a rough area with ample crime. How in the world two people break in and are making noise in the home without alerting any occupants is insane.

Dogs. Locks. Alarms. Etc. A $500 investment would have prevented this loss.

Cannot fault the cops, other than perhaps to say cops might be a little too quick to shoot at times. Arrived to hear gunshots and a man emerge with a light and a gun and refused (apparently he couldn't hear) shouts to drop the gun.

Definitely one of those tragic scenarios.

I'm sure the homeowner was freaked out and if coos are busting in maybe he thought they were more badguys. Just a sad and horrific ending all around. Other than the BG being room temperature.

Hard on the LEOs, and really hard on that poor 11 year old.

An example of why we need the safe hearing act passed. If he'd had a suppressor equipe pistol when he put down the intruder he may have been able to hear the officers commands...

"Harper, who was 26, died after being shot twice in the chest by Black. An autopsy report found levels of marijuana and methamphetamine in his blood."

NOT a gateway drug. Rrrrright. Colorado. So, at least CO got it's tax money on the MJ sale.

Maybe, they should also legalize Meth too?

Aloha, Mark

Sounds like maybe keep a set of those good muffs that enhance normal sound but block gun shots by the bed.

That's exactly what I have next to my bed. Not only will they protect your hearing if you have to fire a gun indoors but they amplify sounds so you can hear things better than without them. It's a double advantage. Just make sure to check them from time to time to make sure the batteries aren't dead.

Electronic muffs are worth the investment, even just for chatting at the range or listening to your foot steps around the house. ;)

PS: my condolences to those that suffered.

Electronic muffs are worth the investment, even just for chatting at the range or listening to your foot steps around the house. ;)

PS: my condolences to those that suffered.
I have wanted to get a set of the muffs for years. Just never got around to doing it. Last night at work I bought a pair of the Howard Leight that will be here today. The more I kept thinks about those poor people. I am sure the LEO who shot him is going to have a tough time as will the kid who survived. Figure the muffs will sit right next to the bed at night for just something like this. Just another drug zombie. Breaks into a home and starts taking a shower, then attacks the poor kid. Wonderful world these drugs have brought us. At least there is one less zombie now.

"Harper, who was 26, died after being shot twice in the chest by Black. An autopsy report found levels of marijuana and methamphetamine in his blood."

NOT a gateway drug. Rrrrright. Colorado. So, at least CO got it's tax money on the MJ sale.

Maybe, they should also legalize Meth too?

Aloha, Mark
Meh, he probably took aspirin before he tried pot. We're probably not going to ban aspirin. Post hoc ergo propter hoc

That's exactly what I have next to my bed. Not only will they protect your hearing if you have to fire a gun indoors but they amplify sounds so you can hear things better than without them. It's a double advantage. Just make sure to check them from time to time to make sure the batteries aren't dead.
There are good quality ones that let you tell the direction the sound is coming from - not as well as without, but well enough for familiar surroundings.

I got my muffs today. Had a little time to play with them before I had to go to work and so far I like them. Walked around with them on a little and I could tell where sound was coming from. Turned up they really help pick up sound very well. When I went in the kitchen I could suddenly hear the fridge running even. Think these will be a good thing to have and they were only $35. Should have bought them years ago

I know not everyone is a fan of Rob Pincus, but he does a pretty good job of breaking down what happened.

Note that it does appear that the doorframe had been hardened but the bad guy hit the door with enough force to take it off its hinges. There was also a security screen on the door but it's unknown if that was in place at the time.

The homeowner who was shot is also reported to have hearing issues so it's likely that he was not able to hear the commands from the officer.

As Rob points out, the homeowner seemed relatively well prepared. He had gone through the trouble and thought process to harden his home, have a firearm and flashlight handy, etc. It seems like it may have been an oversight on the homeowners part not to think through the implications of his hearing condition.

It's very sad for all involved but there are some good lessons to take from this tragedy. Among them, it cannot be overstated that you must get the gun out of your hands after a shooting and before the police roll up.

However, this may not always be easy or possible if there is still an active threat. But understand the police are probably not going to know who is a good guy and who is a bad guy. And they will likely treat you as a threat until they can sort things out.

It's also worth mentioning that if you ever have to call in a situation like this, make sure you give the dispatcher a good description of yourself and any other good guys if you/they're armed.

As for electronic muffs, I always keep a set on the nightstand. They only take a second or two to put on and you can always skip them if there isn't enough time. Mine are good enough (MSA Sordins) that they amplify the low level noises like whispers and such. But there may be a downside to them in that you can't really operate a phone with them on. But you can always put the phone on "speaker."

Last Edited:
What a mess. I wonder why the homeowner didn't drop his weapon.
Indeed this is one of those situations that no one ever wants to be involved in. I would venture a guess that it was a condition known as 'auditory exclusion' - where the homeowner's mind, because of the enormity and stress of the situation, may have heard the commands, but simply did not process or recognize them. Since time and motion can seem to stop, the homeowner 'may' also have thought that the commands were directed toward the perp. He knew he was a good guy, and he knew the cops were the good guys, but simply didn't process the info. Also, a 'Nam vet. When was the last firefight he was in? Did that change him forever?

I know not everyone is a fan of Rob Pincus, but he does a pretty good job of breaking down what happened.

As for electronic muffs, I always keep a set on the nightstand. They only take a second or two to put on and you can always skip them if there isn't enough time. Mine are good enough (MSA Sordins) that they amplify the low level noises like whispers and such. But there may be a downside to them in that you can't really operate a phone with them on. But you can always put the phone on "speaker."

Another nice thing about the muffs I bought. They can use a 3.5mm cord to use with things like my phone, even came with a cord and different cords to hook these up are easy to get on places like Amazon.

I got my muffs today. Had a little time to play with them before I had to go to work and so far I like them. Walked around with them on a little and I could tell where sound was coming from. Turned up they really help pick up sound very well. When I went in the kitchen I could suddenly hear the fridge running even. Think these will be a good thing to have and they were only $35. Should have bought them years ago

I have kept a pair of amplified Howard Leight gun mufflers on my nightstand starting in October 2012. We have an alarm with the alarm horn in the attic a few keypads and they make a terrible screeching sound when the alarm goes off. Hopefully it will scare the intruder(s) away when it goes off.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top