JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Ruger Security Six....6" barrel in .357 mag. I received this from my grandma after my grand dad died in 2012. It is in about 90-95% condition with minor holster wear and only came with an old leather holster. She said he purchased it new between 1984-1986 (she's 92 and can't remember the exact year) I just pulled it out to look at it...and I cannot find a serial number ANYWHERE on it. It's in damn near perfect shape with factory bluing and nothing to indicate anything was "removed".

Any ideas? Is this normal?o_O

I have a Ruger Security Six....6" barrel in .357 mag. I received this from my grandma after my grand dad died in 2012. It is in about 90-95% condition with minor holster wear and only came with an old leather holster. She said he purchased it new between 1984-1986 (she's 92 and can't remember the exact year) I just pulled it out to look at it...and I cannot find a serial number ANYWHERE on it. It's in damn near perfect shape with factory bluing and nothing to indicate anything was "removed".

Any ideas? Is this normal?o_O
The serial number should be on the butt of the gun. If there are aftermarket grips on the gun, you may have to remove them to see it.

An outstanding revolver you've inherited Mpperales. It's a great shooting revolver and I doubt many folks have ever been able to wear one out!

The factory "large" wood stocks/grips have a cutout in the bottom where the serno is visible.

On ebay you can still buy the carry grips which were standard equipment on the Police Service Six, the Security Six's brother. Seems like Ruger produced a ton of these Walnut grips so they can be had for a song, unlike the S&W or Colt grips. Nice to have for a change-up once in awhile.

Enjoy!

The first couple of years that Ruger made these pistols (1972-3) they were a round butt grip frame and they don't make any aftermarket grips for them.
After that they went to a square frame grip and you can switch out the small wood grips for a more pleasant to shoot Pachmayr Decelerator rubber grips.

Wolff Springs makes a reduced trigger spring pack for these pistols and they're really easy to install. Just watch a YouTube on how to drop the trigger assembly and you will learn to appreciate Bill Rugers genius.

Last Edited:
My first gun was a gift from my grandfather. It was an Iver Johnson top break .38
Serial number was under the grips on that, too.
Not much experience with revolvers here so I'm guessing that's normal from the responses I see.

The first couple of years that Ruger made these pistols (1972-3) they were a round butt grip frame and they don't make any aftermarket grips for them.
After that they went to a square frame grip and you can switch out the small wood grips for a more pleasant to shoot Pachmayr Decelerator rubber grips.

Wolff Springs makes a reduced trigger spring pack for these pistols and they're really easy to install. Just watch a YouTube on how to drop the trigger assembly and you will learn to appreciate Bill Rugers genius.
I put Hogue grips on my SP101. They made a huge difference in shooting comfort. They look really nice too. And of course I got the spring kit.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top