JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
not according to the ATF. you can have an angled foregrip from MagPul are fine but I heard a true vertical grip is a no no on AR pistols. It's been covered many times over at AR15.com. that's how I know.

Yeah, I was right for once. I told a buddy today that was a big no-no. Thanks to the info the magpul angled front grip though. That thing looks pretty cool. I was not planning on any type of front grip but I might get one of those.

Yes, if the receiver was transferred as "other" and is over 26" long you can put a VFG on an AR pistol. This is a new ruling. It is no longer a "pistol" but a "firearm" when you install the VFG.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...OWVlZi00NjEzLTlhMzYtZTgxM2FiNzBkMGU3&hl=en_US

There is already a manufacturer selling them. They are also legal in CA.
<broken link removed>
That is extremely interesting. I think I just found my next AR build. I can build one for half what they are asking for those ones.

Yes, if the receiver was transferred as "other" and is over 26" long you can put a VFG on an AR pistol. This is a new ruling. It is no longer a "pistol" but a "firearm" when you install the VFG.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...OWVlZi00NjEzLTlhMzYtZTgxM2FiNzBkMGU3&hl=en_US

There is already a manufacturer selling them. They are also legal in CA.
<broken link removed>

Just an FYI, ATF letters are not considered "the law", just their interpretations of the law. As such they are not solid evidence in a court defense (ie, it is still possible to be found guilty for something an ATF letter says is fine). Although this is highly unlikely, I just wanted to point out to not put 100% faith in government bureaucracy.

Just an FYI, ATF letters are not considered "the law", just their interpretations of the law. As such they are not solid evidence in a court defense (ie, it is still possible to be found guilty for something an ATF letter says is fine). Although this is highly unlikely, I just wanted to point out to not put 100% faith in government bureaucracy.

DO YOU HAVE RECORD OF THAT HAPPENING. USUALLY IN SUCH A CASE A WRITTEN JUDGEMENT BY THE RULING BODY WOULD BE DEFENSE AGAINST CRIMINAL ACTION.

(Sorry about the caps)

The current controversy The SSAR15 Slide Fire Solution Bump Fire stock and their infamous ATF letter. 2-3 years ago people thought ATF would ban this for sure, still sold today.

He was asking for an example of the ATF writing a letter of approval and then someone having a problem even though there was a letter of approval. SO FAR, the ATF hasn't changed it's ruling, but that doesn't mean it won't still happen.

DO YOU HAVE RECORD OF THAT HAPPENING. USUALLY IN SUCH A CASE A WRITTEN JUDGEMENT BY THE RULING BODY WOULD BE DEFENSE AGAINST CRIMINAL ACTION.

(Sorry about the caps)

I don't know of any cases off the top of my head where this has happened, which is why I stated it was however unlikely. I just know that the only solid defense in courts is what is written in the law, not a further interpretation. Other evidence such as ATF letters and previous court judgements can help you in a court defense, but they in no means guarantee that you can't be found guilty.

I find it interesting that the defense of the "VFG + Pistol = AOW" formula revolves around the "designed to be fired with both hands and is thus does not meet the definition of a pistol".

Since the AFG is a Forward Grip, this would also fall under that same reasoning.

But then, it's the ATF. They don't have actual standards or clear definitions, but "interpretations" that change.

I find it interesting that the defense of the "VFG + Pistol = AOW" formula revolves around the "designed to be fired with both hands and is thus does not meet the definition of a pistol".

Since the AFG is a Forward Grip, this would also fall under that same reasoning.

But then, it's the ATF. They don't have actual standards or clear definitions, but "interpretations" that change.

Just think too that most pistols have some kind of shape, notch, spur or texture on the front of the trigger guard for placement of your second had indicating that it would be meant to be fired with 2 hands........

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top