Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Vertical front grip on AR pistol?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Jul 27, 2011.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Is it legal to put a vertical front grip on an AR pistol?

2. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

Not legal. Unless you register it as a AOW (any other weapon)

3. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

not according to the ATF. you can have an angled foregrip from MagPul are fine but I heard a true vertical grip is a no no on AR pistols. It's been covered many times over at AR15.com. that's how I know.

4. PlayboyPenguin

Yeah, I was right for once. I told a buddy today that was a big no-no. Thanks to the info the magpul angled front grip though. That thing looks pretty cool. I was not planning on any type of front grip but I might get one of those.

5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Not just an AR pistol but ANY pistol it is illegal end of story.

It is legal on an AOW or SBR/SBS.

6. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Wow. The angled front grip is nice. Surprised more people don't put them on the front of AR pistols then.

7. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

8. PlayboyPenguin

That is extremely interesting. I think I just found my next AR build. I can build one for half what they are asking for those ones.

9. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Just an FYI, ATF letters are not considered "the law", just their interpretations of the law. As such they are not solid evidence in a court defense (ie, it is still possible to be found guilty for something an ATF letter says is fine). Although this is highly unlikely, I just wanted to point out to not put 100% faith in government bureaucracy.

CAL30M1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. PlayboyPenguin

DO YOU HAVE RECORD OF THAT HAPPENING. USUALLY IN SUCH A CASE A WRITTEN JUDGEMENT BY THE RULING BODY WOULD BE DEFENSE AGAINST CRIMINAL ACTION.

(Sorry about the caps)

11. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

12. cyclesarge

Atkins Accelerator.

13. Reco

Reco Portland Oregon Active Member

The current controversy The SSAR15 Slide Fire Solution Bump Fire stock and their infamous ATF letter. 2-3 years ago people thought ATF would ban this for sure, still sold today.

14. cyclesarge

He was asking for an example of the ATF writing a letter of approval and then someone having a problem even though there was a letter of approval. SO FAR, the ATF hasn't changed it's ruling, but that doesn't mean it won't still happen.

15. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

I don't know of any cases off the top of my head where this has happened, which is why I stated it was however unlikely. I just know that the only solid defense in courts is what is written in the law, not a further interpretation. Other evidence such as ATF letters and previous court judgements can help you in a court defense, but they in no means guarantee that you can't be found guilty.

16. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I find it interesting that the defense of the "VFG + Pistol = AOW" formula revolves around the "designed to be fired with both hands and is thus does not meet the definition of a pistol".

Since the AFG is a Forward Grip, this would also fall under that same reasoning.

But then, it's the ATF. They don't have actual standards or clear definitions, but "interpretations" that change.

17. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Just think your AR pistol like regular pistols.

18. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Just think too that most pistols have some kind of shape, notch, spur or texture on the front of the trigger guard for placement of your second had indicating that it would be meant to be fired with 2 hands........

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Reco

Reco Portland Oregon Active Member

I don't see what the big deal would be .. lol wouldn't the ATF want a more stable safe accurate firing weapon?

20. cyclesarge

Yeah, and a machine gun would be a lot more stable and controllable than an AK being "bump fired".