JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This shotgun section was looking a little barren and unused, so figured I would start a build/suggestion thread here.

I just got a new Molot Vepr-12 about a week ago from a local gun dealer here in WA.

Plans are in the works to modify it significantly.

First on the list:
Reliability modifications.
This is a free to DIY mod to make the gun cycle cheap birdshot more reliably.
So will take out the bolt and carrier and sand the bottom of them to remove rough spots and smooth them out. will also sand off any rough spots on the hammer. This will reduce bolt/carrier drag and help prevent fail to ejects that are common with this shotgun when shooting winchester birdshot.

Second on the list:
The factory fixed stock is annoying and must be removed.
I plan on drilling out the pins in the receiver and completely removing the back plate from the gun, sanding inside the receiver as needed, and installing a rear plate stock adapter.
Then likely getting the M4 folding stock adapter to attach to the new rear plate, and a buffer tube and CTR stock probably.

Third:
Factory hard plastic grip sucks.
Likely replace with Hogue grip (-1 Russian part = less 922r bs to worry about)

Fourth:
Hand guard is junk and must be removed.
I'm thinking quad rail will be a nice replacement for it. (-2 Russian parts)
Of course going to add a forward grip. I'm torn through between another vertical grip, or one of the newer 45° grips.

Really gonna need to get my hands on a rifle with one to see how I like it before I commit to one.

Fifth:
Reliability + 922r crap.
Likely change to US-made gas puck for reliability with light loads and 922r BS. (-1 Russian part)

Sixth:
Muzzle brake!
Anyone who has ever ran a mag dump with 00 buck or slugs knows these things kick and are all over the place if you try to dump the mag... So a factory style muzzle brake is going on there to mitigate muzzle climb and drift. Keep it on target and less recoil. Muzzle device on shotguns do not count for 922r compliance so this could be the us made or Russian made one. Makes no difference.

lastly:
Magazines and optics:
Definitely going for the Russian 10rd mags for this shotgun
And I'm thinking EOTech optics because the iron sights definitely leave something to be desired.
It has been tempting to steal the EOTech off my AR-15 but I didn't want to mess with it since it is sighted in.

Maybe some day change out the fire control group as it is a 2 stage trigger with creep after stage 2 before it breaks and I like my 2 stage triggers to break without any creep when you pull past stage 1.

But with the above mods it will be 922r compliant as it has 14 Russian parts from the factory so only 4 need to be removed. Most do a grip and fire control group, but I don't like the hand guard so gas puck, grip, and hand guard will total 4 parts being removed.

Questions, comments, suggestions welcome. :)

Congrats! My advice is don't touch it until you've gone out with some 1300 FPS 1-1/8 ounce or better buckshot and fired it completely stock with a factory mag. No joke. If it cycles 100 percent, then move carefully with changes as you see fit.

That's my view. I once had 4 of them and they all did the job near 100 percent. Still have 2. Wonderful shotguns.

already fired a box of federal 00 buckshot through it. 100% cycled no issues with that ammo.

have another box of slugs that will go though it soon enough.

And plan on picking up some federal birdshot to see how that goes. From reviews I've seen the federal should cycle in it fine, but winchester tends to have FTE.

Though the winchester was not 100% FTE. maybe about 50% FTE. See how federal does soon enough.

These things are amazing. I'd pass on the Winchester stuff. Federal is good, Nobel sport also makes good ammo that is solid and inexpensive. Enjoy!

I did most of the above and beyond a bit too lol.

6ozw1kZ.jpg
EiLMKYv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing quite like going out, blasting a clay as it flys in the air and then blasting (or trying) to blast the 2 or more diverging pieces of clay as they fly with all of your remaining ammo:)

Shooting Vepr 12s at Twilight Zone.jpg

Sounds like you have a good idea as to the direction you are going. Saiga and Veprs can be highly enjoyable blasters!

9BA299AA-7C56-4210-9886-D4D17F9F3AE8.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads