Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Vehicle Shotgun Rack

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by badger54, Mar 5, 2012.

1. badger54

badger54 Spanaway WA Member

So I am thinking of installing a shotgun rack in my car for my car gun. I drive a Ford Focus which unfortunately does limit my options of where to put it. I am looking for something that is both easy to install and not visible to anyone outside of the car. I am leaning towards a trunk mount but I am also open to a roof mount if that is a viable option. I am getting the windows of my car tinted to make it harder for people to see into the car. If anyone has any suggestions of a model or type that works I would appreciate it. I am willing to drive if there is a company near by that will install one for me or I can buy one online if the installation is not too complex.

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

3. Ligito

Ligito Oregon Active Member

I don't think the cops check this very much but I wish they would.

4. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Focus with a gun rack? :bluelaugh:

5. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

Are you saying that this is illegal or something? It is NOT!

There is a company, Auto Additions, that upfits most police vehicles in OR and WA. They are based out of Salem,OR, but have a shop in Lacey. Give them a shot. I'd go with trunk mount. Unless you have a partition or a big car, interior mounts are h hard and very in the way. I do lots of business with Auto Additions, good companyand good employees.

6. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

Tint will go along ways.
    On my Subaru wagon I have %15 on my front windows and the rear hatch window. The sides and rear doors have %5.
    Seeing inside my car is tough.

I dont like the idea of angular metal objects dangling above my head while driving. My choice would be something like this:

rfloor.jpg

Mounted in front of the rear seats on the floor board.

My second choice would be something hanging behind the front seats:

49322.jpg

7. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Santa Cruz makes some nice racks/locks and it's what a lot of the cops use.
    Santa Cruz Gun Locks 934-B Overhead Rack
    You get extra cool points for putting it in a Focus! Plus if you do an overhead rack it'll give you a good excuse to tell the wife why you are installing a roll bar in the car.

8. badger54

Thanks for the info I will look into your suggestions. Thinking of having a gun and the mount shooting around the car in a collision is making me lean more towards the trunk mount.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

9. badger54

UPDATE: So after talking with some local installers I have ruled out an overhead rack due to the location of the side airbags in the car. I have ordered a trunk rack that looks like it will work in a Focus I will include pictures once it arrives and I get it installed. Its low end but it fits my budget for now. I will install a more high end rack when I am able to afford one.

10. dustoffmedic

dustoffmedic Willsonville Member

Why do you think the police need to check this.. What is your point . none that i can see

11. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

12. dustoffmedic

dustoffmedic Willsonville Member

I have placed a over head rifle rack in my suv , Holds 2 AR-15s. It faces side to side and does not move at all.. works well

13. kiester

kiester Near Salem Oregon Member

I think he was refering to window tinting

I purchsed a ex cop car mount off ebay for under $30.00, even has S&W logo for some reason. could be modified for trunk use.

14. beavernation

beavernation Canby Active Member

Easy there Redneck and Dustoff!!!.......I am sure the guy was referring to the window tinting!!!!!........lol.....

15. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter