JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1) Some points ignitions still have electronic control boxes for the ignitions. E.G., some vehicles with points were modified with electronic CDI boxes that used the points as a triggering system. Do not assume that just because the engine is of a certain era that it has points and/or doesn't have electronics in the ignition system.

2) Most points ignitions have a transformer (coil) and a condenser - both of which could be fried by EMP - especially the coil. Also, if your ignition system still works after EMP, it is quite possible you charging system may not and after a while the system voltage will drop enough that the ignition won't work anymore. Beyond that, maybe the starting system won't work either (although most starters can be "jumped" if you can reach the starter - I used to do this with a screwdriver).

3) Later year electronic ignitions may or may not be vulnerable to EMP - it depends on the system and the strength of the pulse. Early electronic ignition systems are more vulnerable as they had less shielding and less durable components. In some testing some cars kept running after being hit with EMP, others stopped but could be started again, yet others went into "limp mode".

Where an electronic device is located in relation to the EMP also makes a big difference - both distance and line of sight are factors. EMP is mostly line of sight - especially the strongest most damaging components - so if the electronics are behind a hill with relation to the origin of the EMP, the electronics are less vulnerable. Ditto if they are inside something like my shop where the walls are metal siding.

In short, not everything electronic will stop working if there is an EMP or a CME.

But the best bet is something like my flatbed truck which has a diesel engine that does not depend on electronics to run, and has a manual transmission so it can be push/pull/roll started.

I do have at least three vehicles - my AWD daily driver, a 4x4 diesel truck and a 4x4 small pickup. Not to mention two dirt bikes. They don't so much serve as backup vehicles, but they can be used as such. I just do not want to use my SUV to haul firewood/logs.

20191026_161254.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top