JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sometimes I wonder if an old GMC or Ford 1963 or so 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup might work. Slightly later if you want a crew cab. Breaker point battery coil ignition with the old fashioned distributer. Carburetor. Manual tranny of whatever preference. Divorced transfer case. Leaf spring suspension. Working ice cold cab A/C would be nice.

You could even slide in a smaller semi self contained 8 foot camper.

The only real world test for EMP would be to pop a huge EMP bomb 1000 miles over Omaha NB. Then we would know. All other testing is probably bogus. After all, such testing MAY be intended to prove survival ability. You test to failure then calculate the energy required. Consider what the USAF did testing the B52 for EMP survival ability.

My opinions only which are always suspect. Respectfully.

WHO RAY WHO RAY WHO RAY. We have blue skies today. How about that. 13 September, 2017, about 10:02 am. PDT. 42N, 123W. Kinda. :) :) :)

BTW - this:

View attachment 390706

Is not off-road. That is off-pavement.

This isn't off-road either:

View attachment 390707

It is still a road - I could drive up that with my car.

This is off-road:

View attachment 390708

View attachment 390709
View attachment 390710

Try carrying a passenger in those situations and you will be in for a lot of trouble

This is a jeep trail, which was the continuation of car driveable dirt road.

One in our group became stuck, a simple stuck, but still stuck.

IMG_0590.JPG

The lead vehicle could not go back to assist, the following vehicles couldn't continue down to assist, nor reverse, without themselves (& us) becoming stuck. Due to the grade, snow, and the trail being rock/boulder.

So this became an assisted self extrication (assistance being extra warm bodies and minds).

1st attempt was self winch with pulley to adjust position. Winch failed.

2nd attempt was rear winch without pulley to a boulder. Rear winch non functional.

Final attempt which worked. Hi-lift jack rear, stuff with rock. Go.

An hour to an an hour and a half if I recall correctly.

I think you want something old, with no computer crap on it. something that anyone who may know what they are doing can repair.

Something with class, but not so much that anyone else will covet it without real vehicle knowledge.

Plus something not too classy that it won't hurt too much to spray krylon all over it, and quickly, should you need to.

The maintenance you do before SHTF is probably more important. In properly maintained vehicles with synthetic oil you only change it at 10,000. I bet if you had to you could get 50,000 or more before you blew up the engine as long as you maintained your levels. Everything else should last that long easily.

20170711_163934.jpg 20170711_163947.jpg I have this toyota pickup ive been building as a SHTF/Safari rig.
85 regular cab frame, flatbed, dual battery setup, power inverter, tons off offroad light and under belly lights, 4:88 geared diffs with locker in the rear, high steer conversion, also power steering conversion, CB, lifted ? Inches, fits 37s with room, 1991 rear axle, ubolt flip kit, shocks relocated, the truck has been a project the entire time I have owned it since 2007. Still plan on a secondary fuel cell, more tool mounts, mounted tool box. Started life as a standard cab stock truck. And still need work to road read, although I have drove the truck and got an alignment. after the truck is finished I will start a offroad trailer
i dont plan on carrying many people and two seats will work for what truck will be used for in a Shtf scenario, as a Scout/recon rig. clearly a small vehicle there is no armor and wont be, its not a battle rig I might ad some kind of mount for a heavy gun or dual AK gattling mount but no blast shield. My goal in a SHTF scenario would be to lay low head for my local hills and returning from time to time to my home if needed. I wouldnt plan on roads for travel and would avoid highways altogether.
fuel wouldnt be an issue, gasification works fine.
I plan on swapping the motor from a 22R to either a dual fuel propane setup , so I can run gas or propane
. But truely I want to go diesel by swapping a om617 Mercedes Benz 300SD turbo inline 5 cylinder diesel motor using a adapter plate and running a W56 toyota transmission
The vehicle depends on what your plans are. . .
I have a 2001 diesel dodge but in SHTF scenario want a little faster vehicle that can go places other vehicles cant follow.

Some ideas ;)

10258836_785844264772795_2494598898544337582_o.jpg DSCF0662.jpg p1160080.jpg p1160857.jpg
95-2002 Kia Sportages converted to UTVs/buggies, some in Australia, and top one is apparently in the American South?
Other pics of military vehicles setups that one could do relatively easily. Maybe I ought get a 2nd vehicle, for daily driving duty and turn the Kia into one of these lol makes sense in the southwest or south, not much sense in the north wet. .. TanPaintKia_zps1b94bde2.gif probably a more realistic setup for the PNW.

8ab9aa66a1b04396358a899b25088f1d.jpg MercedesGD290NorwayPitarch (1).JPG 27b6de5aa092f0d6310544d44d5f8268--military-special-forces-sf.jpg

I own off-road capable vehicles and do a lot of my own work on them. I am a member is some of the car clubs and I would say that most of the ones you see driving around town with ALL that junk hanging all over the outside and on top are mostly for show. I would bet cash that most of them go offroad once per year if that much! Far too many of them are made to traverse instagram, not the OBCDR. I am into expedition vehicles and taking the family out in them is really fun. Groups like expedition portal and car specific groups can help keep you engaged with your vehicle.
My recommendation is to get something you will use on a semi-regular basis that you can hopefully feel passionate about. Use what you have is a great way to start for many. I saw an old chevy station wagon that was set up for expedition camping and seemed pretty functional. If you aren't into cars or camping I don't know that I would waste the time or money going too far down the rabbit hole. The need to get from place to place for many will be low or something you could barter for in a situation.
My thinking has always been to get something that does not draw a lot of attention, easy to work on, capable, and fuel efficient(ish). Sure a HEMMT looks SUPER badass but it gets 3-4MPG and no one has parts for them! Some of my recommendations would be a VW Bug(baja), older toyota pickup with canopy, Toyota Land Cruiser, or 4-runner. Then get the repair manuals and start doing your own maintenance on it. These rigs are all over the NW so spare parts are everywhere. They perform well with limited maintenance and go forever. All of these have active clubs you can join to learn skills and get out and experience some off-roading. A nice Dual sport bike could be a really great way to go too.
Getting out to the fringe there are some guys running SVO on diesel rigs, a way cool idea but I don't have the time. I also don't know that if a situation lasted long enough for all the stored fuel to go bad that we will need to drive around much. But in that unlikely scenario a SVO or methanol converted vehicle may be worth more Nuka Cola caps than you can count in a lifetime.

One setup for my Kia with a tupperware bin in back or a large cooler, if backseat is loaded up with people. Room enough for 4 people and 2-3 backpacks if primary driver and his woman consolidates their personal gear into the tire backpack. Bag is similar size to Large ALICE which could be mounted the same way. Having taken out the backseat, there is much more space to utilize for 2 people and their stuff.

20160827_122544.jpg 20160824_154949.jpg 20160827_122537.jpg 20160824_154958.jpg 20160827_123021.jpg 20160824_154945.jpg 20160827_123017.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top