Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Vehicle Holsters

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by PeglegJones, Jun 20, 2013.

1. PeglegJones

PeglegJones Ferndale,WA Member

Looking for holsters that would attach either to the front seat or somewhat under the front seat. I have no place for one between the seat and the console and for me waist band holsters don't work with seat belts.

Any suggestions?

2. Pirelli

Pirelli Oregon City Member

BlackHawk has there Serpa Quick disconnect system. i was kinda interested in the system, but have been unable to locate a store/dealer that has them in stock to get a real feel for the system.

3. Ruger SR5

Ruger SR5 Moxee, Wa Member

I wanted to get one for under my steering column, but the way I understand the Washington law is that it has to be un loaded and the mag has to be in a separate location

4. omenwolf

omenwolf Oregon Active Member

That is only if you do not have a Concealed weapons permit.

5. Nickb

Nickb Moxee Active Member

I always thought it had to be on your person if it's loaded, even with a concealed.

I have a holster bolted to the back of the cab in my wheelin rig. High bolstered seats and a double stack 1911 aren't real comfortable for hours.

6. Ruger SR5

I have a CPL, but I was told that the gun could only be loaded if it was on your person. Some one clarify on this?

7. brandon44

brandon44 John Day New Member

RCW 9.41.050 (2) (a)

A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

It appears that as long as you are within the vehicle, and have a cpl, you can keep it under the steering column.

8. Ruger SR5

That works for me.. Thanks

9. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

Gum creek holsters

10. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

I have one under the steering column as well.....works great.

11. spinfree

spinfree Vancouver Member

I was told by a WSP trooper that to be loaded it had to be on my person, I had it in the console while I was driving and informed the officer it's location. I think it ends up being a matter of interpretation by the officer.

12. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Read the state law, not hearing from cop/trooper.

13. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Just order it off Amazon. Its fairly cheap.
    I utilize the Blackhawk QD roto system and its held up very well.
    Car, backpack face plate, thigh rig for competition training, hip holster and even our bathroom (started as a joke now its a great place to set the pistol when I have to do my business)

.. Its proven to be pretty tough polymer to boot.

14. PeglegJones

PeglegJones Ferndale,WA Member

Reading the State law is fine bit the bottom line is the cop you're dealing with is going to apply that law based on his interpretation of all the vagaries in that law thanks to the legislature. Test him at your own risk. Read Dave Workman's write-up about WA gun laws.

15. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

Don't understand why people feel the need to make the laws more complex than they are.

If they'd intended for the statute to mandate having the gun on the licensed person only and at all times, then the second sentence makes no sense whatsoever and would not have been included. Of course the licensee would be in the vehicle with the weapon if the gun is in his pocket or on his belt.

Clearly (to me anyway) the legislature envisioned us using places such as center consoles as a carry method and that's why (ii) is there.

Maybe not a bad idea to carry a copy of the RCW with your insurance and registration.

16. gimpyhunter

gimpyhunter K-Falls Oregon Member

There was a recent appeals court ruling in an Oregon CC case. When stopped a driver didn't immediately tell the officer he was armed. The officer ticketed the driver. The appeals court said there is nothing in the law that mandates CC holders to notify an officer.

In most places, you need a CC to have a loaded gun in your car or on your person in public. It does not have to be on your person unless it specifically says so in the state law.

17. MrCaprioni

MrCaprioni Bend,Oregon Active Member

Tony617 and GlockDoc like this.