JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at Goodwill the other day and found a small backpack that was made to organize your picnic stuff (really?) So I bought it for $15. and re-purposed it to organize my road emergency kit. So here is all the stuff I was able to pack in it. I also adjusted my tool kit, contents below.

Emergency kit:

First aid lit w/ Quickclot
Lighter
Wiss Multi-cutters

Streamlight w/extra battery's
Forceps
Pen, marker, note pad
Sunblock lip balm
Gorilla tape
Purell antiseptic wipes
Nitril gloves
Emergency blanket
50 ft. Para cord
Leatherman Multi tool and large folder
3 ft. stretch bandage

12 Tie wraps
Israeli compression bandage
Hand towel
Filtered water bottle
Leather gloves
Glass breaker
Small fire extinguisher

Tool Kit:
Thermal work gloves
2) Adj. wrenches
Vice grips

Channel lock pliers
5 in. folder Knife
LED flashlight, extra battery's
2) flares
Hatchet
Electrical tape, 1" wide Gorilla tape
Small saw
Nut driver kit
Small tape measure - I had an extra
Carabiner's
Multi screwdriver

More para cord
Bungee cords
(Moved filtered water bottle to the emergency kit)

So, what would you add or change? Thanks for you input.

Road emergency kit.jpg Road Tool Kit.jpg

Last Edited:
This is excellent, and it looks like you set it up with thrift and function in mind. Good stuff! It would be interesting and useful to put together a visual reference of EDC, get-home kit, bug-out kit, etc.

The two items I would initially add would be: (1) short-handled shovel, GI entrenching tool, or similar and (2) a portable jump-starter like this one.

I will come up with some more suggestions later on, but what you have here is pretty good.

I might have missed it but did you include a tourniquet? I keep two in my truck first aid kit. I even have one in my hiking kit.
I also recommend that you carry a large fire extinguisher in your vehicle. Those small ones have very limited use.

Since this is aimed at car emergencies, I would suggest adding a couple pieces of 1x6 that would sandwich in the middle of the pack. These are great if you get stuck in mud or snow to help you get traction up out of a ditch or such. Being able to self rescue is the optimum outcome. In a worst case scenerio, they become kindling for a fire using the hatchet. Also cat litter or fine pea gravel can help with traction, but it might be harder to pack a sufficient quantity of it.

I am constantly reworking what I carry. I have a SUV with no trunk, so things tend to be in the way more if we end up with a full load of passengers. Had to give up on my big bag after the constant complaints from the family. I always carry a hat and a good pair of boots in case I am caught out in work attire, which is not very disaster friendly.

Last Edited:
Mighty nifty. I'm always ready for spaghetti myself. I like Goodwill. Sometimes I hop around town to different ones in search of something specific, and always leaving with something useful.

Stay safe out there!

STONER_63

I do have this folding trench tool I carried around when I use to go up in the Tillamook Burn, and any other forested area. It is stout steel constructed and I wouldn't want to pack it around in a pack. It weighs over two lbs. It stays in my Caravan. My normal ride is a Mazda 3 so I don't have too much room for 'stuff". I now live off of Social Security, so I DO scrounge around for MORE STUFF. Thanks for the input.

Fire Shovel.jpg

Last Edited:

[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][B][SIZE=4]STONER_63[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

I do have this folding trench tool I carried around when I use to go up in the Tillamook Burn, and any other forested area. It stays in my Caravan. My normal ride is a Mazda 3 so I don't have too much room for 'stuff". I now live off of Social Security, so I DO scrounge around for MORE STUFF. Thanks for the input.

View attachment 866347
Those are handy. I had a military issued one for a while before it was stolen. I have a one of those Rhino survival shovels now that stays in the backpack.

I'm surprised they still make that hatchet. It bounces OFF of wood no matter how you try to sharpen it. Get an Estwing if you want a hatchet and make sure it's properly sharp.

I supplemented a "Roadside Kit" by Bridgestone ($30 at Costco) with the following items listed on the spreadsheet. Creature comforts like a large tarp from Harbor Freight for $5 to lay down vs. road makes a difference. All items in a covered tub. Ya, the extinguisher is smaller, but better than nothing.

Car Kit Spreadsheet.jpg 20210420_103452_resized.jpg

I always appreciate these shares. Usually I find one item or more that I hadn't thought of.

Thanks to some observations some of you have made, I've made a few adjustments and additions. A battery powered jump starter is a good idea. However, I'm not budgeted for that right now so that will have to wait. Retired Guy suggested a tourniquet. This IS on the list and will be added soon. Gryghin mentioned a magnesium/ferrocerium fire starter. I do have these and are packed in my BOB. I agree with certaindeaf about the hatchet, I have a Gerber in with the BOB/camping stash. The only reason I put that old cheap ax in my tool bag was as an extrication tool. Racefan had a number of items I carry in my van. Below are listed two of best tourniquets listed on Amazon. Any thoughts on which one to get? Thank again, I think everyone benefits with these exchanges of ideas.

TP, TP TP, emergency kits need TP, if you have enough TP you can use it to build a fort for shelter when the fort is covered with a plastic tarp.:)

Paper towels are better than a flannel shirt pocket but I'd rather have TP.:s0001:

Regarding a tourniquet, you have paracord you have a tourniquet.;)

An entire roll of toilet paper.

Depending on what you are trying to be prepared for - a good set of bolt cutters.

When I've created kits like this in the past it has been categorized by:

1) Things my body needs regularly
2) Things my body needs if it is having a problem
3) Things my car needs
4) Things I would need if my car was stuck or having a problem
5) Things I would need if it were cold/hot
6) Things I would need if I didn't have my car.

I think from all the things I have included in the kit, a flat tire repair kit and the toilet paper are probably the most often used.

Last Edited:
An entire roll of toilet paper.

Depending on what you are trying to be prepared for - a good set of bolt cutters.

When I've created kits like this in the past it has been categorized by:

1) Things my body needs regularly
2) Things my body needs if it is having a problem
3) Things my car needs
4) Things I would need if my car was stuck or having a problem
5) Things I would need if it were cold/hot
6) Things I would need if I didn't have my car.

I think from all the things I have included in the kit, a flat tire repair kit and the toilet paper are probably the most often used.
I always have toilet paper in my vehicle now. Ever since that one time...

Wow, some great ideas here. I do have many of the items mentioned (Toyota Tundra), including hatchet, axe, saw and a Henry Survival Rifle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top