JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which vehicle mounted CB radio should I get?

• President Electronics BILL CB Radio

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Radioddity CB-27

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Midland 1001LWX

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • President Electronics ADAMS FCC CB Radio

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really I'm just going to listen in and use in emergencies only; which at that point licenses are irrelevant. I get it though.

You'll get 1000 hams for 1 you reach in CB. And they do tend to be helpful folks.

I know people are going to kick rocks at me for saying this,, c.b. is better than ham radio.
reasons: theres usually someone else with there c.b. radio on to talk to, where as hams are hit and miss.
Ham radios need to be programmed for each area you are going to drive to due to repeaters. other
than 146.520MHZ
although theres alot of knuckleheads on c.b they are usually more helpful about road conditions,
hazards up ahead, or other useful info than ham operaters who are for the most part sitting at home on their base stations, and not out travelling.

I reckon when things get bad there's gonna be folks on the airwaves on CB and HAM regardless so...

Again not going crazy with it. Just something I can communicate with on or off the roads if need be if I don't have cell signal and for emergencies and weather etc. Driving through tornado country probably good to have. Most folks I reckon are going to have CB of some sort and not HAM in their vehicles. The only ham I want is on my sandwiches.

Last Edited:
Just waiting for my 4' antenna and SWR meter to get delivered. Gonna install everything else otherwise. I'm pretty competent with electrical wiring but first time putting a CB in and I'm getting mixed information on whether to mount the ground to the body or to the negative terminal from the battery that I already have to an AUX fuse hub inside the cab.

I reckon either would be fine but figured I'd get your take on it and what your experiences are.

20210414_112353[1].jpg

Just waiting for my 4' antenna and SWR meter to get delivered. Gonna install everything else otherwise. I'm pretty competent with electrical wiring but first time putting a CB in and I'm getting mixed information on whether to mount the ground to the body or to the negative terminal from the battery that I already have to an AUX fuse hub inside the cab.

I reckon either would be fine but figured I'd get your take on it and what your experiences are.

View attachment 861919
If possible, run power directly to the positive terminal (fused, of course). Ground it anywhere on the body.

Obliged. I've read this is to reduce "static" on the radio?
it would help,keep power wires away from anything that could potentially cause static thru induction. also running your coax away from anything that will cause static is a good idea. Keep coax away from anything that could be potentially damaged by RF/ radio transmitter power. a good coax/antenna/low swr is the key to making a radio perform properly. make sure you dont smash your coax cable. it is designed for a certain rated resistance ( OHMs).. if you smash it the characteristics will change as well as risk of shorting it out.

Last Edited:
Install is finished. Just waiting for an SWR meter to tune it in better. I did pick up some traffic and radio checked and all is good so far. I'm around SE 92nd Ave and Powell so close to freeway so reckon I'd get someone.

I'll probably add a spring or beef up the mount more since I'm sure the fender sheetmetal will likely deform over time with all the movement. Or relocate the mount altogether to a sturdier base with less flex. Most likely near the rear passenger taillight. Just wanted to get it all set up and working and it does so now I can play around with antenna placement.

20210415_192550.jpg 20210415_192216.jpg

Last Edited:
A lot of knuckleheads is an understatement.
I've been thru a series of personal 'gotta have one/can't stand it' CB gear.
My first set up was (maker lost to history) IIRC a 26 channel radio shack model, 102" bumper mount whip on my 53 Caddy Sedan de Ville. Lots of earnest S&R types, looking for some kind of rescue/helping responder type. Although no real specs for such, .gov would send call letters/license to operate for $10.

That lasted a few years before I tired of the lackluster focus & gradually increasing traffic. I'd cycle thru about every 10 years with new gear & shorter satisfaction period.
First trip from PDX to Cape Cod 1978 using CB in our little 2-rig caravan. Added a new dimension to watching roadside wildlife, as my buddies were avid birders & did licensed falcon rehab.
Never did quite make it to ham set up.

Install is finished. Just waiting for an SWR meter to tune it in better. I did pick up some traffic and radio checked and all is good so far. I'm around SE 92nd Ave and Powell so close to freeway so reckon I'd get someone.

I'll probably add a spring or beef up the mount more since I'm sure the fender sheetmetal will likely deform over time with all the movement. Or relocate the mount altogether to a sturdier base with less flex.

View attachment 863121 View attachment 863122
Sweet set up. Your install looks solid. The spring will help take the tension off the mount when you hit branch or something. I use the same type of antenna mount on my Tahoe for my ham antenna. If I went with a whip like yours I would put a spring on it too . Without mounting on a quarter panel directly there's really not too many options for antennas on our vehicles.

I've been thru a series of personal 'gotta have one/can't stand it' CB gear.
My first set up was (maker lost to history) IIRC a 26 channel radio shack model, 102" bumper mount whip on my 53 Caddy Sedan de Ville. Lots of earnest S&R types, looking for some kind of rescue/helping responder type. Although no real specs for such, .gov would send call letters/license to operate for $10.

That lasted a few years before I tired of the lackluster focus & gradually increasing traffic. I'd cycle thru about every 10 years with new gear & shorter satisfaction period.
First trip from PDX to Cape Cod 1978 using CB in our little 2-rig caravan. Added a new dimension to watching roadside wildlife, as my buddies were avid birders & did licensed falcon rehab.
Never did quite make it to ham set up.
My dad had a 74 AMC Hornet that he let me throw my CB in to. I went straight to Radio Shack and got a 102' steel whip and mounted it to the rear bumper. Good times.

Last Edited:
Sweet set up. Your install looks solid. The spring will help take the tension off the mount when you hit branch or something. I use the same type of antenna mount on my Tahoe for my ham antenna. If I went with a whip like yours I would put a spring on it too . Without mounting on a quarter panel directly there's really not too many options for antennas on our vehicles.
Obliged. Took me all day but worth it to do right.

My dad had a 74 AMC Hornet that he let me throw my CB in to. I went straight to Radio Shack and got a 102' steel whip and mounted it to the rear bumper. Good times.
102' steel whip shoulda made a darned good tower to get out with surprised the thing didnt do wheelies with all that bumper weight.........

102' steel whip shoulda made a darned good tower to get out with surprised the thing didnt do wheelies with all that bumper weight.........
The 74 Hornet was a tank, lol. I learned to drive in it, three on the tree. I also had a 102" whip off the top of my Shakespeare Big Stick. That one was fiberglass. The steel 102 really didn't weigh that much. Both whips put out pretty well.

Back in the early/mid 70's during the crazy CB days, I ran two 102INCH steel whips on my pickup. The Midland radio performed double duty as a base station late at nite. The D104 mic overmodulated but nobody care except the near by truckers. LOL
Had a blast with that ole Midland. You cant go wrong with one.
Just my 2cents..:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads