JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thought I'd start this thread after reading another thread, and hoping that others will share cameras and observations too.

I've had this camera and micro SD card for over a year now. It works fine. Notes:
  • This camera cannot accommodate a MicroSD card larger than 32GB.
  • 1080p resolution is limited to 30 frames per second. 720p resolution can run at 60 frames per second. I run it at 720p at 60 frames. See actual video and incident below.
  • You may enable or disable audio capture.
  • No internal battery. It must get power from your vehicle's lighter socket to run. This works fine for me since my vehicle does not power the cigarette lighter when the vehicle is off (and hence the camera is not running).
  • The camera will automatically delete older videos to free up space. So if you have an incident then make a mental note to offload the videos from the MicroSD card soon after the incident.
Here is captured video from the camera. It is difficult to see/get a license plate at 720p resolution, but if I wasn't able to stop and had hit her then I would have tangible evidence that the other driver was at fault.

Camera:
Amazon.com: Black Box G1W-C Capacitor Model Dash Cam – Heat Resistant – Full HD 1080P H.264 2.7" LCD Car DVR Video Recorder – WDR 140° Wide Angle 4x Zoom Motion Detection Night Vision G-Sensor: Car Electronics

MicroSD card:
Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Grey/Red, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-032G-GN6MA): Computers & Accessories

I've had a dash cam in my car for about a year or so. Started with a Mini 0806 cam, but started having some serious issues with it.

Power connector in the window mount base wore out, so the camera would constantly reboot itself. I rerouted the wiring into the camera itself, but with the cold weather recently, it was taking 15 minutes for the camera to warm up enough to actually turn on...

I had a spare mobius action cam (cheap go pro kinda thing) that I wasn't using, so I swapped out its Lipo for a capacitor, and installed that instead. Works like a charm.

With how inexpensive it is to install a dash cam (I'm right around $100 for my setup, and some can be had for less), and how much legal trouble it has the potential to save you, in my opinion there's not much reason to not have one in this day and age.

I agree on the G2W. But after having the capacitor model for a number of years I would recommend against it. Get the standard battery model and you're good.
The argument I usually see for the capacitor model is that it handles cold/heat a little better, though I haven't really tested this much aside from the delayed start problem I had with the Mini0806.

What's your reasoning for going with the standard battery?

The argument I usually see for the capacitor model is that it handles cold/heat a little better, though I haven't really tested this much aside from the delayed start problem I had with the Mini0806.

What's your reasoning for going with the standard battery?
I prefer my camera to run when my car is off on the motion sensor and the capacitor model does not run at all once the car is off.

@mkwerx with my mentioned camera, a 32GB memory card, and running at 720p resolution at 60 frames per second... I'd estimate 2 hours, possibly 3 hours.

Again, the key thing is to remove the memory card after an incident so that any video may be preserved for the insurance company or the lawyers.

@mkwerx

Again, the key thing is to remove the memory card after an incident so that any video may be preserved for the insurance company or the lawyers.

Some cameras (like my old Mini0806) allow you to enable write-protection on the current recording at the push of a button (granted, it requires that you remember to push said button). I'd imagine some of the spendier cameras can likely detect when you've been in an accident and auto save it for you, so you don't have to worry about the files being overwritten.

You had it for a year and that's the best example you have to post o_O
I only go to Portland 5ish times a year and it seems I have crazy bubblegum happen almost each time :(

The ones they sell for semi trucks have 4 cameras. I've thought about getting that for my car but it seems excessive. It would have been nice a month or two when a semi truck going around the block at Amazon tried to run me over. No lights, doors wide open, etc. Probably only connected his air line to drive around the block.

Here are a couple from the dash cam in my M1009. One would think people would not do stupid stuff in front of a 5900# truck made long before anti-lock brakes, but one would be very wrong about that.

SETUP: The intersection has one left turn lane, one right turn lane, and one straight ahead lane. A parallel road is closed for construction so traffic is backed up at this intersection. Someone comes from the right turn only lane and jumps in at the last second requiring me to lock up the brakes.

SETUP: This is on a military base. The cop approaches the intersection at a high rate of speed with lights flashing but no siren. As he comes into view he flips the siren on which to me indicates he intends to disregard the stop sign.

@mkwerx with my mentioned camera, a 32GB memory card, and running at 720p resolution at 60 frames per second... I'd estimate 2 hours, possibly 3 hours.

60 fps is overkill, 30 is plenty, and will allow you to record more time before filling up the storage device.

When I buy one it must be motion activated. Because that is cool and if someone messes with my truck I know who to hunt down :D
Two things. If you want motion activation you will probably need to have it wired into the electrical system. If plugged into the cigarette lighter it will shut off when the power goes off. Into the elec system it will go black but kick on if the car if f*&*ed with. I ran the wire around the dash and down under my feet, but then I had Car Toys wire it in. In and out in 30 minutes.

Other thing is GPS. Sounds great but if you are in an accident and get sued the opposing lawyer could subpoena your info and prove that you usually drove fast, or reckless, or partied in your car, or... I wont buy one with it for that reason. Got it on my phone and in my car, its redundant.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top