JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a protein lover but I am going to experiment with some very low proteins days throughout the next few months. If you heavily restrict protein in your diet, what is the lowest you will go per day (as a % of total calories) and from what sources?

This guy seems to think near zero protein will promote longevity in your lifespan.

indian-word-for-bad-hunter-metal-signs-390409_200x.jpg

I am a protein lover but I am going to experiment with some very low proteins days throughout the next few months. If you heavily restrict protein in your diet, what is the lowest you will go per day (as a % of total calories) and from what sources?

This guy seems to think near zero protein will promote longevity in your lifespan.

Thats sounds cool and all, but we're in the midst of BBQ season! How's that gonna work?

I didnt watch it.

What is he peddling and how much does he stand to gain if you buy into it?....

Seeing that our species has been omnivores for as long as we have been around, i am sticking with that.
I personally believe that to much of anything can be detrimental to health, the same goes for to little. I prefer to eat moderately and lean towards healthier choices of protein.
That said, some veggies out there are basically "zero" foods. Celery is a great example. Then there are others that are super foods. Kale is one of them.
Choose wisely.

I didnt watch it.

What is he peddling and how much does he stand to gain if you buy into it?....

Seeing that our species has been omnivores for as long as we have been around, i am sticking with that.
I personally believe that to much of anything can be detrimental to health, the same goes for to little. I prefer to eat moderately and lean towards healthier choices of protein.
That said, some veggies out there are basically "zero" foods. Celery is a great example. Then there are others that are super foods. Kale is one of them.
Choose wisely.
He is selling the idea that extreme protein restriction 5% or less of total calories has significant health and weight loss benefits in the short term. It is supposedly mimics fasting but has muscle sparing effects. I am going to aim for 5% protein and try it for three days this weekend. I just went shopping at Freddys this morning and poured over a bazillion labels. It is very difficult to find food (even junk food) that has very little or no protein listed on the label. My calorie allowance for this weekend will be 1500 per day, which means I need to eat less than 20 grams of protein per day. I ate high protein this past weekend so this will be about as opposite as you can get. I had headaches each day with high protein diet and zero energy, I am hoping the high carb diet alleviates both of those problems and I lose more weight.

Other researchers are looking into this very low protein diet idea.

I am drinking the high carb koolaid for the next month or so. I have been doing some version of low carb during most of my dieting life. I am feeling extra low energy after this past weekend of doing high protein and I am not digging it. Lower energy levels should be expected in a calorie deficit but I am feeling super lazy now. Starting with a very low protein diet for this weekend I will continue eating high carb low fat/protein for the next month. Hopefully my energy levels will come up and I can start doing some more vigorous exercise. At this point I am struggling to strength train once a week and get my daily walks in. I have missed quite a few walks lately. Maybe going carb heavy will improve my mood too. I still haven't figured out a minimum protein requirement but I am thinking it will be much lower than what I have been eating.

Edit: Today I've had about 1190 calories not including vegetables. My goal was 1500 non-vegetable calories. 92 grams of protein.

Last Edited:
I am drinking the high carb koolaid for the next month or so. I have been doing some version of low carb during most of my dieting life. I am feeling extra low energy after this past weekend of doing high protein and I am not digging it. Lower energy levels should be expected in a calorie deficit but I am feeling super lazy now. Starting with a very low protein diet for this weekend I will continue eating high carb low fat/protein for the next month. Hopefully my energy levels will come up and I can start doing some more vigorous exercise. At this point I am struggling to strength train once a week and get my daily walks in. I have missed quite a few walks lately. Maybe going carb heavy will improve my mood too. I still haven't figured out a minimum protein requirement but I am thinking it will be much lower than what I have been eating.

Edit: Today I've had about 1190 calories not including vegetables. My goal was 1500 non-vegetable calories. 92 grams of protein.
I've had good results recently by cutting way back on carbohydrates and sugar but getting plenty of animal protein and animal fat. Both are very satiating and help me to crave junk food less. Plus meat and vegetables make me happy.

The Okinawan diet prior to the 1960s supposedly aided in the long lifespans. I was reading up on their diet and found that they ate very small amounts of meat and the majority of their diet came from sweet potatoes. This does not jive with the high protein diet. What gives?

"Okinawans ate three grams total of meat — including pork and poultry — per day,"

The dietary intake of Okinawans compared to other Japanese circa 1950 shows that Okinawans consumed: fewer total calories (1785 vs. 2068), less polyunsaturated fat (4.8% of calories vs. 8%), less rice (154g vs. 328g), significantly less wheat, barley and other grains (38g vs. 153g), less sugars (3g vs. 8g), more legumes (71g vs. 55g), significantly less fish (15g vs. 62g), significantly less meat and poultry (3g vs. 11g), less eggs (1g vs. 7g), less dairy (<1g vs. 8g), much more sweet potatoes (849g vs. 66g), less other potatoes (2g vs. 47g), less fruit (<1g vs. 44g), and no pickled vegetables (0g vs. 42g).[2] As proportions of total caloric intake, foods in the traditional Okinawa diet included sweet potato (69%), rice (12%), other grains (7%), legumes including soy (6%), green and yellow vegetables (3%), refined oils (2%), fish (1%) and seaweed, meat (mostly pork), refined sugars, potato, egg, nuts and seeds, dairy and fruit (all <1%).[2] Specifically, the Okinawans circa 1950 ate sweet potatoes for 849 grams of the total 1262 grams of food that they consumed, which constituted 69% of their total daily calories.[2

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top