Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Vegan dies climbing Everest.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by clearconscience, May 24, 2016.

1. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Arleyg, Dyjital and Sgt Nambu like this.
  2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I agree! Sad but kind of goofy!:(:):(

3. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The mere thought of climbing Everest and surviving is astounding. When you are flying an aircraft, you have to be on oxygen above 10,000 feet or pressurized to 8,000.

So how the hell can you possibly climb Everest from 10,000 to 29,000 feet on oxygen the whole time ?? Not going to happen. Hypoxia city baby. Pulmonary embolisim coming right up. Hell of a way to go. No 911 or paramedics up there.

Leave your frozen carcass there for the rest to slip a beer in your hands as they go by.

4. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Hypoxia scares the crap out of me.

Vegan or carnivore.

decklin, PiratePast40 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  5. Goosebrown

Goosebrown Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I saw "Vegan dies" and about lost my breakfast. What the hell is wrong with steel and carbide dies? Who needs vegan dies? Are you serious? Pescatarian dies next?

Bubblegumming Oregon...

6. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I have never understood the appeal.
    You pay probably $70k+, climbing in treacherous environment, horrible conditions, likely die or get frost bite, and be extremely miserable, if you even make it to the top.

On a side note,

Two amputee Vets completed the climb in the last week. Both with a prothetic leg.

That's a bad MFer.

Sgt Nambu and Martini_Up like this.
  7. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Let your ego propel you and don't be surprised if you meet death along the way.
    I have met many climbers who don't listen to their bodies. Granted, altitude sickness can strike anyone, any time.
    It's absurd to think they would improve the perception of vegans by their feat. I know vegans who run marathons, and one who runs ultra-marathons (105 miles).

8. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

I've never understood this. I've never understood how anyone in good conscience would be a mountain climber unless they were single with no dependents.

Dyjital and Hybrid Slave like this.
  9. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I think I heard the odds of dying from Mount Everest one we're something like 1 in every 3. Might be wrong, not something I would ever want to do. I certainly don't look at those who have done it as brave, I look at them as lucky idiots.

mjbskwim and Hybrid Slave like this.
  10. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Hopefully we never have to read of a transgendered dying on that wicked peak.

Sgt Nambu and Stomper like this.
  11. Hybrid Slave

Hybrid Slave Medford Member

No sympathy here. where I come from, non meat eaters (herbivores) are called "prey". It is my opinion that these thrill seeker types have some underlying psychological issues anyway.

I was one of those idiots when I went into the service, and let me tell you, my thrill seeking, addicted to adrenaline days are DONE. What the hell was I thinking!??

I'm not the religious type, but when I hear about these climbers, the story of the Tower of Babel always comes to mind for some reason.

Stomper, salmonriverjohn and Dyjital like this.
  12. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

If you happen to reach the summit, you've got about a 3% chance of dying, according to the latest stats. Better than 1 out of 3, but still. If you don't want to get eaten by a shark, stay out of the ocean. Don't want to die mountain climbing? I know a 100% foolproof way, and I practice it daily.

Dyjital likes this.
  13. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I guess I still don't see the reason some folks need to 'prove' their worth to others, whether it's to somehow 'justify' their chosen lifestyle or it's something else. Just seems a huge waste to me to worry so much about what other people think that, in this case, you're willing to risk your life to do what??? Prove a point??? And what point is that? Vegans can do things too??? WTF is wrong with these people? Maybe a little meat in their diet would have helped straighten out their twisted thinking.

Sad, but sorry, very little sympathy. You put yourself at risk, you pay the price.

Stomper and Sstrand like this.
  14. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I just never lost anything, worth retrieving, on any mountain top! :D

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  15. Goosebrown

Goosebrown Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Oh I know. However I did lose all my guns out of the canoe the other day. That sucked.

Keeping the dies though. Never know when they may come in handy.

16. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Poor little veggie-head probably ran out of strength because of a lack of MEAT in the diet. :rolleyes:

17. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Mountains and nature for that matter doesn't care what you eat. It will kill you all the same.

I have no problems with vegans or vegetarians. Just don't tell you're better than I am. Everything we eat was alive at some point, just because what you eat doesn't have feelings doesn't mean you're not consuming something that was living same as you.

18. jsparks747

jsparks747 Portland, Or Active Member

What's next 'Vegan's Got Talent'!

19. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

She died on the way down--The way down is the easy part!?

20. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

No, ask any serioud climber, the way down is when most die.