JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in the Seattle area and wondering if anyone can steer me and a friend or two in the right direction for some varmint hunting on the east side... We're interested in anything from sage rats to coyotes.

I know Oregon and Nevada fairly well now but have yet to hunt varmints in our state.

Thanks in advance for any help you may give.

The yakima valley is great for hunting rats and yotes but, for best results you need to come farther down the valley like Mabton or Sunnyside. The Bickleton/Goldendale is great for coyotes. There is some state land up there that is usually fairly empty due to how remote it is but great shooting.

There is 12,500 acres of DNR land just south of Creston on Highway 2. The Swanson Lake area. Lots of yotes, rock chucks, rats, bunnies, Badgers. But you can't hunt bunnies and badgers. Quite a few muleys also, until the rifle season starts and they all disappear. We used to go out there for rock chucks. Find some scabrock cliffs and you will probably see some chucks.

Great info guys... Thanks. Will try to find a free weekend soon. This weekend I'm off to the coast for a sea perch derby and we'll try catching a ling cod Sunday as well. After this weekend it's simply a matter of getting another weekend off without having to work.

There is 12,500 acres of DNR land just south of Creston on Highway 2. The Swanson Lake area. Lots of yotes, rock chucks, rats, bunnies, Badgers. But you can't hunt bunnies and badgers. Quite a few muleys also, until the rifle season starts and they all disappear. We used to go out there for rock chucks. Find some scabrock cliffs and you will probably see some chucks.

+1 :s0155: Swanson Lake Refuge used to be my old stomping ground. I took my first coyote just off the road down from the old school house about a half mile. I've taken well over 100 dogs from the Swanson Lake area. The Twin Lakes area(Washington, not Idaho) down by coffee pot is a great spot as well. The Miller Ranch is another great chunk of land for coyotes. You can park next to the ranger station and hike all the way to Fishtrap Lake. You can also cross the road and hunt to Hog Canyon Lake as well. All of that(except for the Swanson and Twin Lake area) is BLM land and is within 10 miles of I-90. There's also some great land just south of Spokane. Make sure you are comfortable with longer shots though. Most of the dogs are pretty skiddish, and when you're hunting that scab land in Lincoln Co. they'll see you from a ways off.

I hope you have a blast. I miss that land more than I want to acknowledge :(

Pirateer... That's how I feel about Oregon.. Better fishing and hunting and more diverse in it's landscapes. I left there in 83 and have spent alot of time wishing I hadn't. Now I'm rooted too deep here in too many ways. We'd both like to retire down there someday. Here you are in Oregon wishing you were back up here!

So until then I spend time traveling around Oregon with my dad when I can and have to settle for that. We sometimes hunt the BLM land east of Steens Mt.. Plenty of yotes there. Usually thats a week or two per year but nowadays I work too much to take time off.

I did have a great fishing experience in Westport last weekend though. I placed in the surf perch derby and came home with 40 lbs of fillets in two days.

Pirateer... That's how I feel about Oregon.. Better fishing and hunting and more diverse in it's landscapes. I left there in 83 and have spent alot of time wishing I hadn't. Now I'm rooted too deep here in too many ways. We'd both like to retire down there someday.

So until then I spend time traveling around Oregon with my dad when I can and have to settle for that. Usually thats a week or two per year but nowadays I work too much to take time off.

I did have a great fishing experience in Westport last weekend though. I placed in the surf perch derby and came home with 40 lbs of fillets in two days.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top