JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking to pick up a bolt action 223 for a while. Mostly been looking at Savage Varmint models and the CZ Varmint.

Does anyone on this forum have experienced opinions on either? How about some alternatives? I'd love to hear people experience, both pro and con...

Thanks,

Bryce

I shoot a Howa 1500 in .223. It is the same barreled action as Weatherby Vangurards. It was the best bang for the buck that I could find when looking for a varmint gun. I am no expert but when you can do this with a rifle at a 100 paces or so, then I'd say its a shooter.

So, a followup question: What size groups are you guys able to get with your rifles? I've got a Rock River varmint AR that can do 3/4" 3-shot groups at 200 yards. I'm hoping to do similar with whatever I purchase in a bolt gun.

Bryce

It's all about what you like / can afford. I think they are making some of the most accurate rifles today then they ever have. If you handload, you can pretty much find a load your rifle will shoot.
I have Remingtons, Rugers, Savages and Winchesters. I like them all. They all shoot under 3/4" MOA.

It's all about what you like / can afford.

+1

Find one you like the looks of and can comfortably shoot. If you want to modify it, go with a Savage or Rem. If you want to buy and shoot, just about any varmint rifle will do. Or...buy a low end model and make it your own. (Stock, trigger, barrel, etc.)

Savage rifles have a good selection of aftermarket barrels, stocks and triggers so you can upgrade it at your leisure.
Or you can buy a LRPV (long range precision varminter) and be done. :)

I'm not as familiar with the availability of aftermarket parts for CZ rifles, but I do like their kevlar varmint model stock. :)

My buddy just wen to the NRA thing in AZ and spnt considerable time talking to the Savage folks about the 223 bolt action. He sold another rilfe to get the Savage. I can't wait to shoot it.

No doubt in my mind if you want to customize get a rem 700.
As they can be made into tack driving beasts!
But as far as buy n shoot
cz 550 American varmint Kevlar
comes with single set trigger hs precision stock
under .5 inch 5 shot groups 100 yards with handloads I'll share the load if you get one!
I just got back from p-dog shooting got one in one shot at 815 yards.
Cz makes an amazing factory rifle!

The browning A-Bolt is also a fantastic option if you can find one. The fully adjustable trigger is really useful and very crisp IMO, and I've shot some surprisingly (for me) good groups with just cheap factory ammo (PMC Bronze, etc).

I was out on BLM land, and had a few golf-balls out at about 100 yards. I was hitting them 9 times out of 10 (and I'm a pretty horrible shooter), and the two people I had taught to shoot that day each were hitting at least 6-7 out of 10.

Not to say the Rem. 700 isn't awesome, which it is, as well as the others mentioned.

I just ordered my Savage 16FHSS with the AccuStock and AccuTrigger yesterday. I talked to a lot of shooters and very few had anything bad to say about the Savage .223. I shot the Savage .17HMR for a couple of days before deciding. The AccuStock is probably not to relevant at .223, but it was there and...I wanted it. Gun buyer logic. I can't wait.

I have a savage model 12. it has a 26" bull barrel with a 1:9 twist. I love the 1:9 twist for shooting 75 gr bullets. it is much more accurate a 300+ yards. At 100 yards I can get 5 bullets in the same hole all day long! At 300 yards I can hit a beer can every shot! It is very heavy. I would not want to carry it around very long. I mostly shoot it off a bench or over the hood of a truck. you might prefer a 1:12 twist thought. it is up to you. you might want to match the twist to your AR so you only have to have one bullet for both guns. If I planed on carring it around and shooting freehand I would look at the howa and the stevens. they are less expensive, but still great guns. you wont get so upset if you bang then up a little. the CZ is a very nice gun, but IMO not worth the money. the remmington VTR has a huge cool factor. I would at least look at one, even know I dont think they are worth the money, you might just becouse they are so cool.
Personaly I would buy a stevens, top it with a BSA scope and spend some of the money you saved on a Harris bipod.

The Ruger stainless varmit 223 is a great rifle ,, i bought one a couple years ago as a backup and so my boy could move up from a 22 lr ,,, its a great set up..

P1010657.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads