JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So after working up a load with Hornady .224 60 gr SP (and absolutely loving that bullet) I decided to try something new. I got a box of Sierra 55 gr fmjbt with cannelure to play with. It didn't say there's a cannelure on the box so I'm assuming all of their 55 gr fmjbt stuff has it? I didn't get very good results with the Sierra 50 gr so I'll try the 55 gr and see what happens.

Anyway, onto my question. I'm looking up load data and getting conflicting info. Sierra's loadings are a lot hotter than Accurate's, but their stuff is listed specifically for the AR-15. I looked up Hornady's info and for their 55 gr fmjbt it matches Sierra's. Here's the differences I'm seeing using AA-2230:
Sierra: 23.3 min - 26.1 max
Hornady: 24min - 26 max
Accurate: 22.2 min - 24.7 max

The huge difference has me a little nervous, and because it's the powder manufacturer makes it worse. Would you guys feel comfortable using Sierra/hornady's info or Accurate's? I inclined to use the former because it's two sources that agree. Thanks guys!

That's why I'm asking. The bullet and powder manufacturers have different data. I just don't know which is more reliable and am hoping that using a 3rd source is a safe way to figure out which to use. Plus there's some old timers here that I'm sure have used this combination before.

I'd be totally comfortable with around 26gr as per Speer & Hornady's data.

I'd probably work up some test loads from around 23.5/24 to 26 and see what works best - keeping an eye out for pressure signs at the higher end but I would think it would be fine.

In fact, I'll probably be doing exactly that in the near future, I've been meaning to try some loads with 2230.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I've got a buddy who uses 2230 and IIRC he gets best results with something like 25.2 with 55s out of a 16" carbine, so that's probably a good range to try.

Accurate Arms publishes data that is intentionally anemic, it's stupid and annoying. I loaded up a bunch of .30 carbine at the "max" AA data, and most of it wouldn't cycle in my newer M1 carbine, but my WW2 era worn out gun would. I do not like AA's data at all, and as a consequence I have largely stopped using their powders.

After looking at the sierra data, and using their load, (which was about 10% hotter) the cycling issues ceased.

If you want a real performer for .223, try western's "Tac" powder, it is incredible what kind of performance that powder can get out of .223 and .308. I highly recommend it.

I'm guessing AA is listening too closely to their attorneys? It's good to know that it's their data that's light and not Sierra and Hornady's being too hot.

When doing research on different loads Tac seems to come up a lot. That's definitely the next powder I plan to pick up. <broken link removed> you're talking about right? It's not a particularly hard powder to find is it?

I load thousands of 55gr FMJ-BT's for my AR using 25.4 gr of AA2230. While this specific bullet isn't shown in Accurate's data it's a long used "rule of thumb" that one can use the data for a heavier bullet as a starting point when the exact bullet is not listed. Accurate shows a load of 25.3 gr for the M-855 cartridge which uses a 62 gr. bullet.

You will be perfectly OK using the Sierra/Hornady data for 2230. For some reason Accurate shows data for just about every bullet sold BUT the most common of all, the military M-193 55 gr FMJ-BT. Go figure.

If you want a real performer for .223, try western's "Tac" powder, it is incredible what kind of performance that powder can get out of .223 and .308. I highly recommend it.

TAC is a slower burning powder than 2230 and more suited to heavier bullets. For the 55gr the 2230 will be a cleaner powder in an AR.

BTW, they both come from the SAME company, just different names. Western Powders Inc owns the brands Ramshot and Accurate.

That makes sense because their websites are almost identical. One last question about the cannulure. If a bullet has it, do I need to seat the bullet deep enough to use it, and do I have to crimp it? I'm not apposed to crimping, but my rifle isn't as accurate when I seat bullets that deep.

You do not have to seat to the cannelure, nor do you have to crimp, if you are shooting an auto rifle it's highly recommended, but for bolt guns is not necessary as the rounds arn't slammed against the feed ramp during the loading process. Some rounds with greater neck tension don't need crimping either even under these circumstances, it all depends on your gun.

The variation between those loads is not that significant, its about 6% on the max loadings. Its typical to find differing published loads, it just depends on where the publisher considers a sign of a max safe load to be. The actual max pressure for failure may be considerably larger, but obviously testers don't to go that far.

As always, its best to start out at around minimum and work your way up to what you're comfortable with.

The variation between those loads is not that significant, its about 6% on the max loadings. Its typical to find differing published loads, it just depends on where the publisher considers a sign of a max safe load to be. The actual max pressure for failure may be considerably larger, but obviously testers don't to go that far.

As always, its best to start out at around minimum and work your way up to what you're comfortable with.

SIERRA has a max of 26.1 and accurate shows a maximum of 23.5. Thats alot more than 6 percent. More like 10% or 2.6 grains. Thats a lot of powder to play with. Be careful what you do with this. You cant go wrong with starting low and working up to a load that works reliably and accurately in your gun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top