Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Vancouver, WA Story Similar to Many Others

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by yurik, Jul 20, 2013.

1. yurik

yurik Vancouver, WA New Member

Vancouver man says shooting followed Biden's advice

By Paris Achen

As of Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Vancouver man who fired a shotgun in the air Monday to chase away car prowlers says he was following the advice of Vice President Joe Biden.

Jeffrey C. Barton pleaded not guilty Wednesday in Clark County District Court to a misdemeanor charge of illegally discharging a firearm.

Outside of court, Barton said, “I did what Joe Biden told me to do. I went outside and fired my shotgun in the air.”

The 52-year-old is accused of firing his shotgun Monday to scare away three men who appeared to be breaking into his vehicles. Clark County sheriff’s deputies were dispatched at 3:30 a.m. to Barton’s home in the 5800 block of N.E. 124th Street for a report of an auto prowl, according to court documents.

On the way, the 911 dispatcher heard Barton shoot his gun repeatedly, the court documents say. He allegedly told the dispatcher that he didn’t aim at the men — but that next time, he would.

In response to a home defense question in February, Biden said Americans don’t need semi-automatic weapons because a couple of blasts from a shotgun will scare off intruders.

Sheriff’s deputies said that’s only allowed in self-defense.

Barton was arrested and then released the same day on $325 bail. His next court appearance is Aug. 13.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Vancouver man says shooting followed Biden's advice | The Columbian

=========================================

1. Comments there..
    2. What is his lawyer's name?
    3. A defense Fund? I would contribute

How to set one up?

Unfortunately, I have to be out of town on August 13, otherwise I would answer my own questions

2. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Idk, I don't think there is ever a good time to discharge a firearm into the air...

4. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

If he is following bidens advice he deserves what happens to him

5. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Goose, duck, pheasant, quail, grouse hunting?

What are you going to discharge your firearm into - a vacuum? Water?

If you are going to shoot a firearm up into the "air" - as in upwards, pointing at nothing but the sky - then a shotgun shooting shot, is probably safer than most other firearms to shoot in that direction. For all we know, it was blanks he was shooting - neither article mentioned what kind of ammo was fired.

That said, I somewhat agree - it is rare that warning shots are justified - but on the other hand, sometimes they are. I generally don't recommend it though - but then I am not the Vice President. :D

6. 44mag2ndamend

44mag2ndamend Round the ole tree stump, Down by the crick Well-Known Member

Interesting, still none the less, somewhat reckless. Maybe firing at the ground? Still would have been arrested?

Things are getting pretty rough.

Joe13 likes this.
  7. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I think shooting down into a lawn would be perfectly safe, assuming it's top soil below it and not rock or gravel under it.

I got to try a friends full auto and silenced Uzi one time by firing a full clip into the ground where some mole's had made some holes.

Now that was GOOD times :)

He has some neighbors but they aren't that close and he isn't in town.