JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an heirloom colt automatic .32 m1903 pistol that is a little banged up. I would like to have it looked at by a reputable shop to make sure it is safe to fire. Anyone know of a gunsmith in Vancouver that would be helpful?

Things I would check to make sure it's safe:

Thoroughly clean the firearm. Find the manual online if you can and perform a full field strip, make sure any and all carbon is cleaned off so you can clearly see the condition of all parts. Re-lubricate it according to the manual.

Check the barrel/chamber for any cracks under a bright light with a magnifying glass.
Check the slide for any cracks the same way.
Look for excessive wear or burrs on the slide or barrel, or inside the action of the firearm
Make sure the action cycles fully, closes all the way. Run a few rounds through by manually cycling the action, ensuring that it closes up properly each time

Take it out to a safe place, put a couple rounds in the mag and with proper eyes and ears on, function check the safety (try to fire it with the safety on), then shoot a couple rounds.

If you note any problems at any of these stages, bring it in.

If you would like someone to take a look a it for you, bring it in to my shop- location and contact info are in my signature line. We'll look at it for free. Ask for Dan or Duane.

Make sure that you use the proper ammunition, and not a more modern, higher pressure variant.

Thanks thebastidge for the advise!!! I will start there and see where I end up. Your location is near my residence, so if nothing else I might swing by and peruse your inventory.

There is a new gunsmith out in Amboy. He supposedly does the Vancouver and surrounding SWAT gunsmith work. I am not sold on him yet in the few conversations, but I am willing to give him a try.

I use John over at Shooters Service Center. It is in Portland but, its close if you're on the west side. He knows his stuff. He's a good gunsmith who also has a gun shop. As opposed to a guy with a gun shop, who does some gunsmithing.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top