JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think they can only shoot lead here anyway

Clark County health authorities are looking into possible lead exposure at an indoor rifle and pistol club after learning about elevated lead levels in the blood of young members of the Orchards-area club.

This week, the health department took voluntary blood samples from about 40 members of the Vancouver Rifle and Pistol Club at 12212 N.E. 76th St.

“We’ve been working really closely with the club,” said Dr. Alan Melnick, the county’s health officer. “They’ve been really cooperative.”

Health authorities say lead dust and fumes can be generated by the combustion of lead-containing primers, the friction of bullets against the gun barrel and fragmentation as bullets strike the backstop. The problem can be pronounced at indoor firing ranges.

The issue came to light earlier this month, when a family that belongs to the club tested for lead exposure.

Melnick wouldn’t identify the people who tested positive for lead exposure, but he said three children recorded levels above the 10 parts per million considered to be a level of concern for children 6 and older. None of the levels measured above the 25 ppm threshold considered to be a concern for adults.

The levels were high enough to require the family’s physician to notify health authorities.

Besides conducting additional voluntary blood tests of club members, Melnick said the health department conducted an environmental assessment of the range. The county could make recommendations such as improved ventilation or ensuring members avoid eating or drinking in areas where dust could be ingested inadvertently.

“Really, the main thing is hygiene,” said Paul Davis, the club’s secretary.

Operating plan

Davis said the club, which has about 280 members, was originally incorporated in the early 1930s. It’s been housed at the 50-foot indoor range in Orchards since 1974.

Melnick noted that the club should come out of the assessment with an operating plan that assures its members’ safety. He said the same assurance can’t necessarily be made with other indoor ranges or garages where people use firearms.

“People can go anywhere to do this stuff,” Melnick said.

Low levels of lead exposure can adversely affect the intellectual development of young children, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Lead can affect almost every organ and system in the human body, according to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. The main target for lead toxicity is the nervous system, both in adults and children.

“It’s a hazardous material,” Melnick said. “That’s why we got it out of gasoline.”

Melnick said a state-operated laboratory agreed to expedite the blood samples, and authorities should get the results as soon as today.

Me and my family shoot there not that often due to the costs of ammo and having firearms where lead cast is almost impossible to find. But I just renewed my membership and will continue as long as the doors stay open. I wish they would figure out some way to put in place a system for jacketed ammo..

Also we still have leaded fuel... go to the Airport you will find 100LL it has Tetra-ethyl lead in it!

They will figure out what to do lots of people like this shooting place I know quite a few guys that shoot here.If i remember correctly i was told they don't shoot jacket ammo because of the closeness of the houses there.

Sounds like the membership has grounds for a lawsuit to allow suppressors. Look at how many 22RF cans are take apart now to allow the deposited lead to be removed. Most cans are not recommended for use with lead bullets for this very reason. So these lead filters by virtue or cooling the hot vaporized lead and it sticking to the baffles are a response to help reduce the amount of airborne lead and OSHA would have to comply with this engineering response to reduce lead exposure in the workplace for the staff, and it might be the foot in the door to open things up for suppressor use.

Sounds like the membership has grounds for a lawsuit to allow suppressors. Look at how many 22RF cans are take apart now to allow the deposited lead to be removed. Most cans are not recommended for use with lead bullets for this very reason. So these lead filters by virtue or cooling the hot vaporized lead and it sticking to the baffles are a response to help reduce the amount of airborne lead and OSHA would have to comply with this engineering response to reduce lead exposure in the workplace for the staff, and it might be the foot in the door to open things up for suppressor use.

A judge faced with such a lawsuit could just as easily order the club to install expensive ventilation equipment, or even shut down.

All irrelevant, because it sounds like a much simpler solution will be found.

We received the test results back on the youth shooters tested by the state.....Almost across the board they are lower than the the pin prick showed (no surprise, we were told to expect that)..and there are changes planned for the ventilation system...

The general consensus is; most cases were from lack of strict hygiene .....Most of it attributed to the air rifles..(pellets aren't coated and rattle around in tins)...

Shooters, please wash your hands thoroughly after shooting in an enclosed area (well, any time really) and limit handling lead as much as possible...

No matter what me and my son would shoot there its a awesome place we don't have idiot's there scratching my hummer with there brass like in the woods.

People are respectful when a beginner is learning and always helps give advice so they can learn spread the knowledge. The discipline my son has learned there has changed him for the better in self confidence and self esteem.

VRPC is the Best $50.00 a year I or anyone can could spend having a safe relaxed place to shoot. I do wish they would allow jacketed ammo as for the calibers I have it's nearly impossible to get LRN loads. But for the kid and his 22 it's the thing and talked the school in to letting him shoot for some extra credit. And comfortable to take a nap on the small couch for a couple hours also to get away from the wife hehehehe...

I know we have not gone there since December but I been working hard then down with a broken ankle I plan on being there weekend of the 9th to let my boy to spend a few hundred rounds. I my self have 150 rounds of .45 LRN to burn then I am out.

Nothing like using discipline to release some stress...

Love VRPC not for me but my 13yr old son.

Thanks Guys.

Contract Pilot; Have you looked into the youth shooting club at VPRC? The club is very active and there are a lot of shooters his age..The instruction is excellent and the folks are fine......

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top