JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm at the Vancouver mall and came in through JC pennys and I looked for an no firearms sign and could not find one nor to the entrance of the mall. So how do you know if you can ccl. And somehow if someone found out what would happen? They will never know though

First off never assume no one will never know. You can made carrying bt several indicators.
IF there is no sign then carry, but since you are assuming you can never be made why are you even bothering to ask?

I did a bid of research on this before, and had to do it again to find the right information, but below is what you are looking for:

Posted from Handgunlaw.us http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

Do "No Gun Signs" Have the Force of Law?

"NO"

Handgunlaw.us highly recommends that you not enter a place that is posted "No Firearms" no matter what the state laws read/mean on signage. We recommend you print out the "No Guns = No Money Cards" and give one to the owner of the establishment that has the signage." As responsible gun owners and upholders of the 2nd Amendment we should also honor the rights of property owners to control their own property even if we disagree with them."

"No Firearm" signs in Washington have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.

This should answer you're questions, but in reality, anyone can ask you to leave. If you don't, the cops would most likely be called.

Also, I would like to point out, the opposite is true in Oregon. The signs DO have the force of law..

Because I do know anything can happen. Someone could fall into me and feel it or I could be made by the trained eye if I wasn't carefull, but I feel safer wearing it and so does my family. Generally I avoid the mall but my wife has made me go because I do carry daily. So I wanted to know the rules here. I was surprised not to see a sign but I don't like jeperdising my chl.

I did a bid of research on this before, and had to do it again to find the right information, but below is what you are looking for:

Posted from Handgunlaw.us http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

Do "No Gun Signs" Have the Force of Law?

"NO"

Handgunlaw.us highly recommends that you not enter a place that is posted "No Firearms" no matter what the state laws read/mean on signage. We recommend you print out the "No Guns = No Money Cards" and give one to the owner of the establishment that has the signage." As responsible gun owners and upholders of the 2nd Amendment we should also honor the rights of property owners to control their own property even if we disagree with them."

"No Firearm" signs in Washington have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.

This should answer you're questions, but in reality, anyone can ask you to leave. If you don't, the cops would most likely be called.

Also, I would like to point out, the opposite is true in Oregon. The signs DO have the force of law..

My knowledge and what is shown in the link above does not say that signs have the "force of Law" in the state of Oregon. If it's discovered that you are carrying a handgun you may be asked to leave. If you don't, then you can be charged with trespass.

Thanks for the link.

I'm not expert...and pretty new well. But sometimes companies will have company wide policy in place that bans guns...but depending on the state, those signs either carry the force of law or not. Such as Target having a company wide policy regardless of state. Or BWW now.

But they can still ask you to leave anyways...it's just in one state the don't have to ask, they already did with the sign.

But from what I'm seeing, you can carry at the Vancouver Mall.

Because I do know anything can happen. Someone could fall into me and feel it or I could be made by the trained eye if I wasn't carefull, but I feel safer wearing it and so does my family. Generally I avoid the mall but my wife has made me go because I do carry daily. So I wanted to know the rules here. I was surprised not to see a sign but I don't like jeperdising my chl.

You seem kinda naive for a HITMAN. You're worried about someone falling into you and feeling your gun??? Hide it next to your junk.
I have never had anyone fall into me and feel my junk. Anybody else here ever had your junk felt by a stranger at the mall? If yes, which mall?

Yea that's not happening, I feel pretty sure that none of that stuff would ever happen to me as I've been carrying for 20 years and nothing close has happened. I was just agreeing that anything could happen and gave examples. I just wanted to know the rules of the mall

I didn't give myself the nickname of hitman my rescue team did. I have always been gunny and my callsign is KE7HIT. So they took HIT and added HITMAN years ago

Really? I thought WA and OR were the same. SIGN > CAUGHT = ASKED TO LEAVE, comply, all good.
It sounds like that, for the most part. Handgunlaw.us says there is a law against "Criminal Trespass While in Possession of Firearm". So as long as you leave when asked, you can't be charged with criminal trespass, let alone "Criminal Trespass While in Possession of Firearm". At least that's my read on the situation.

Yea that's not happening, I feel pretty sure that none of that stuff would ever happen to me as I've been carrying for 20 years and nothing close has happened. I was just agreeing that anything could happen and gave examples. I just wanted to know the rules of the mall

Some people don't play by the rules so you should carry at all times when possible, especially when your with your family.

Went to McGrath's here in Vancouver on Thursday. They tried to seat us in the bar section, I refused (since I was carrying). Wife asked for another place then told the greeter why we couldn't sit in the bar!! Sat there the entire meal waiting for the manager to come over and ask me to leave or the cops to show up on a MWG call. Didn't happen but I sure need to tell my wife NEVER to mention I'm carrying!

I was asked to leave the van mall awhile back for carrying....shirt came untucked while I was washing my hands and guard happened to notice...the kid was courteous & professional, and obviously nervous as hell, but I complied graciously...didn't see any signs, and the kid said they had been taken downing during construction / remodeling, so I gave him the standard lecture on needing to post signs as I was leaving...have been spending my dollars elsewhere since then however. They seem less interested in attracting customers who actually go there to buy stuff, they seem to prefer the teeny bopper / skateboard crowd, or the folks doing laps around the mall with walkers

I'm not expert...and pretty new well. But sometimes companies will have company wide policy in place that bans guns...but depending on the state, those signs either carry the force of law or not. Such as Target having a company wide policy regardless of state. Or BWW now.

Odd - I recall going with my brother to buy his first shotgun at Target not long after they opened in Colorado.

I Carry a fullsize 1911 in my front pocket. Half of the grip hangs out and I have never been asked to leave anywhere. Every once in awhile I'll make sure my shirt is pulled over it.

Even if there was a sign stating no firearms I would (and have) ignore it. My life is worth more than some California owned investment companies policies.

I've never heard of Target selling guns. I've heard of Walmart. But it doesn't really matter. There are enough businesses that do support the 2nd Amendment that we can find anything we need. For those to hate Walmart, they sell the same stuff other stores do. I don't shop there because their prices are higher then other places and I never get helped.

But I carry into any store as well. If something were to come of it, I would leave when they asked. It is really sad that places think that there "No Guns Allowed" signs will actually keep the bad guys out. Whats really sad is after all that has been happening, places STILL think they can keep everyone safe with a little sign...

I do sometimes open carry, and have gotten a few looks, and even a "Oh, that's not intimidating at all..." from one lady. Yea, lady, that's the point...to intimidate some SOB into leaving me alone.

I Carry a fullsize 1911 in my front pocket. Half of the grip hangs out and I have never been asked to leave anywhere. Every once in awhile I'll make sure my shirt is pulled over it.

Even if there was a sign stating no firearms I would (and have) ignore it. My life is worth more than some California owned investment companies policies.

I can't think of a less comfortable way to carry a 1911. How do you sit down? Why no holster?

I've seen signs posated at Van Mall in the past. SOmething about firearms being prohibited on the premises.

As the mall is private property they have the right to ask you to leave (for any reason I would imagine). If a person who is asked to leave refuses, it can then become a trespassing issue.

Keep your gun concealed, no problem. Or, stay out of the mall if you have issues with any of their policies.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top