JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think that is a highly optioned gun, maybe reblued refinished . it is worth more than you think. beware of LOWBALLERS. the stock issue is not that serious, the front sight is strange looking maybe gunsmith made. looks like the sight is dove tailed on the barrel, origional stocks and sights can be found on e Bay. the barrel could be origional or possibly shortend because of damage to muzzle. hard to tell. expert opinion is a MUST

Hare are photos of the front sight. The barrel is 24 1/6 length.
I'll go with the ramp being home made. It appears the dovetail in the barrel is OK and you could probably remove the sight from it, and the ramp from the barrel and replace the sight in the barrel dovetail.

Barrel length is probably correct in that 24" was a common length.

You could probably find an original stock set with an original crescent style buttplate. This and the sight move would really be all that is needed to bring it back to it's original appearance.

My original 1899 Mod 94 .30 WCF "Klondike' Sporting Rifle.
W1 - Copy.jpg

Last Edited:
Even though the gun was manufactured after 1903 I'd still send out for Winchester Factory Records. I'd gamble the $40 in hopes of receiving more info than just a serial number confirmation with date of a manufacture. https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/winchester/
that late of gun the records only have date the serial number was applied. no details of options etc.( i have tried to research my gun from same year.) but letter would still add to value.

the stock issue is not that serious
It's quite serious.
origional stocks can be found on e Bay.
Plenty of non checkered options. But I couldn't even locate the matching stock in the advance search under the completed and sold queries. The chances of landing a checkered and uncut stock on eBay are about zero. If you did it would probably bring $400. GunBroker may better the odds by a few points but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's quite serious.
I agree. Sights & other add ons can be removed or replaced but buttpad replacements on an original crescent stock require it to be cut flat & shaped and essentially render the stock to firewood. I have seen shortened stocks returned to original shape to take a crescent but they are pretty short.

This is really unfortunate as the stock appears to be in good condition with nice checkering.

At least someone didn't D & T and screw on some sort of scope mount ! (I've seen that)

Last Edited:
that gun will never be origional again! it is already modified. I am sure a competent stockmaker can do something with that stock. or maybe reproduce it. there are lots of options. as for barrel length 24" barrels on these winchesters were not common, they were optional. you could special order any barrel length up to 36". reproduction stocks are available from several sources. unfinished of course. origional crescent buttplates are on e bay on regular basis. so gun being already compromised. you can still make it close to origional. any ways that is a very fine rifle, gets my juices flowing. ( i am not an expert but i know more than the average gun guy because i have this addiction to 1894s and research my own guns.) I will be ordering a new winchester 1894 book today to further my knowledge.

that gun will never be origional again! it is already modified.
Technically the only thing that is 'modified' is the stock and IF he could find an original set with a crescent that fits well and can move the sight back to the barrel I'd call it 'original condition' with a stock swap is all.

Otherwise the rest of it looks in nice, original condition.

standard barrel length on 1894 rifles was 26" all other lengths were special order. carbines were 20", shorter barrels were available by special order down to 14"

Technically the only thing that is 'modified' is the stock and IF he could find an original set with a crescent that fits well and can move the sight back to the barrel I'd call it 'original condition' with a stock swap is all.

Otherwise the rest of it looks in nice, original condition.
you are correct but finding one with checkering is one BIG IF.

I have a couple family guns that I take hunting once in awhile, I try to think of those that carried it before me.
1 is a Remington 12C, that I got from an old Armenian woman that lived on my street. She said it was the first new thing her husband bought after coming to this country in 1917. He wasn't allowed to own a gun in the Old Country! I try to get it out and shoot a few Cotton tails each year!
I also have a Pre war Win in 220 Swift that belonged to my Grandfather. It has been rebarreled a couple times, But I just enjoy it for what it is! DR

@rcer , gorgeous rifle. Glad you're going to keep it because I didn't need to be figgering out how to make it mine. If it were mine I would have a qualified person replace that buttpad. Then I'd swab the bore, lube it up and shoot it. It's cool. It's been used. Why not play with it?
If I was looking for an insurance value, I'd say $1500 or so.
If I was looking to sell it, I'd start at $950 and see what the market would bear. You'd get some jackwad like me that would open up their wallet. I'd say easy sell at $600, gonna wait a little at $800. The dang buttbad thing really did hurt the $$ value of this gun, but didn't hurt the practicality of it. Tasteful mods made to a gun "way back when" add character and aren't always detrimental when it comes to value, especially for a gun that's not a completely original sample.

Rifle receiver serial # indicates that it was manufactured 1920. If it has been modified from original, it will likely not command as much of a premium from collectors.

Hi,

Trying to get an idea of value for this rifle. As title states it's a Winchester 94 chambered in 30 WCF with a serial of 904,342.
I believe the barrel was modified to half round from an original octagon. Seems to have non org front and rear sights, butt pad and checkering.
View attachment 1044007View attachment 1044006View attachment 1044004View attachment 1044005
Hi,

Trying to get an idea of value for this rifle. As title states it's a Winchester 94 chambered in 30 WCF with a serial of 904,342.
I believe the barrel was modified to half round from an original octagon. Seems to have non org front and rear sights, butt pad and checkering.
View attachment 1044007View attachment 1044006View attachment 1044004View attachment 1044005
Hi,

i have done some research and find that checkering is rare on straight stocks on 1894s. i found only one with checkering it looks exactly like the checkering on yours. mine does not look origional. but winchester would apply checkering to customers own desire. your gun looks to be a very special gun. with 4 special order options.

Collectors want all-original, otherwise its primary appeal for some is that it's a pre-'64 receiver.

As for it being all original. I do know that Winchester did offer some 'upgrades' that were available and could be ordered from the factory -- IE. checkered stocks, butt pads, peep sights. However, I'm not sure if butt pads were an option in 1920. Often the stock was cut down to accommodate for them as a later retrofit.

I'm sure others with additional knowledge here will chime in.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top