JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had this rifle kicking around for quite awhile, never shoot it, and now I want to put together a precision .223 bolt gun, so something has to go to help pay for it. This is a JM marked gun, barrel band version, metal is good, stock only fair, it was my little brother's gun, and he doesn't treat stuff very well. I put a Williams peep and Firesight on it, other than that, it's all stock. I've tried to Google selling price, but most of what I've found have been newer rifles, and even then, the prices seem to be all over the place. Some help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Dave

Caliber may play a part in value...Is this rifle in .30-30 or .35 Remington?
Bore condition is important as well...If the rifle looks less than well cared for on the outside.. It may leave doubts on the bore or mechanics on the inside

Where and when you try to sell can also help or hinder...Deer season is here or gone and Lever Actions may not be popular where you live...Firearms can be "faddish" or trendy at times.
Just what a 336 will sell for where I live may be different than where you live.

Pictures would be a big help.
Andy

I guess it depends how fast you want to sell it. I recently saw an older 336 in .35 Rem for about $400. Very solid action, but I expect it will sit there for a while, since the chambering is uncommon and expensive.

FWIW, brand new "Remlin" 336 are on sale at Dick's now for $400..

Caliber may play a part in value...Is this rifle in .30-30 or .35 Remington?
Bore condition is important as well...If the rifle looks less than well cared for on the outside.. It may leave doubts on the bore or mechanics on the inside

Where and when you try to sell can also help or hinder...Deer season is here or gone and Lever Actions may not be popular where you live...Firearms can be "faddish" or trendy at times.
Just what a 336 will sell for where I live may be different than where you live.

Pictures would be a big help.
Andy

Will try to post some pics later today, but here's the other details that I should have included in the first place. Rifle is a .30-30, there are the typical dents and dings of a 30+ year old field rifle, bore is clean with sharp rifling. The only reason I said the stock was fair is that my brother did a dumb kid thing, he drilled a hole and drove the bullet case from his first deer with it in the bottom of the butt stock. Not a terrible job, but not great either, but it's always been one of those things I look at and go "Really?!" :rolleyes:. I've considered replacing it more than once, but like I said in my OP, I almost never shoot it, last time was to sight in the Williams WGRS peep and Firesight I installed back in 2010.

As to fads, this is mule deer country, so everyone thinks they need a .300 WM or .338 Lapua o_O. So I get that being a lever action can/will impact perceived value. But this is also forested mountain country, with lots of old-timers still hunting the hills, and that's a place where a lever action shines.

Anyway, I'm just hoping to get an idea of a starting point. And it's not like I have to sell it, if current value is only a couple hundred bucks, I'll just stick it back in the closet. Later, and thanks.

Dave

Will try to post some pics later today, but here's the other details that I should have included in the first place. Rifle is a .30-30, there are the typical dents and dings of a 30+ year old field rifle, bore is clean with sharp rifling. The only reason I said the stock was fair is that my brother did a dumb kid thing, he drilled a hole and drove the bullet case from his first deer with it in the bottom of the butt stock. Not a terrible job, but not great either, but it's always been one of those things I look at and go "Really?!" :rolleyes:. I've considered replacing it more than once, but like I said in my OP, I almost never shoot it, last time was to sight in the Williams WGRS peep and Firesight I installed back in 2010.

As to fads, this is mule deer country, so everyone thinks they need a .300 WM or .338 Lapua o_O. So I get that being a lever action can/will impact perceived value. But this is also forested mountain country, with lots of old-timers still hunting the hills, and that's a place where a lever action shines.

Anyway, I'm just hoping to get an idea of a starting point. And it's not like I have to sell it, if current value is only a couple hundred bucks, I'll just stick it back in the closet. Later, and thanks.

Dave
Older 336's are more valuable if they have cut checkering and walnut wood. The newer versions have pressed checkering and use ash stained to look like walnut. Also, the older guns have overall better workmanship and finish. The metal will be polished and machined rather than stamped. When I went looking specifically for a 336C for my son I chose one from the 1950s for these reasons.

I've had this rifle kicking around for quite awhile, never shoot it, and now I want to put together a precision .223 bolt gun, so something has to go to help pay for it. This is a JM marked gun, barrel band version, metal is good, stock only fair, it was my little brother's gun, and he doesn't treat stuff very well. I put a Williams peep and Firesight on it, other than that, it's all stock. I've tried to Google selling price, but most of what I've found have been newer rifles, and even then, the prices seem to be all over the place. Some help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Dave
Sounds like baiting/spam. Figure out a price like a big boy and then post it for sale in the classifieds instead of "innocently wondering" about a price for a gun you want to sell. come on

Sounds like baiting/spam. Figure out a price like a big boy and then post it for sale in the classifieds instead of "innocently wondering" about a price for a gun you want to sell. come on

Oh, c'mon, Deafie, You probably make as many posts in an hour as he has altogether. Cut him just a little slack will ya?

oh, well. I thought I'd try.:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads