JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The fox tried many times to reach the grapes. But no matter how high he leapt they were just out of his reach. Finally he turned and walked away. Saying to himself ''Those grapes are sour anyways''. :s0140:

I've never "jumped" for a Colt. Why would I spend more for mediocre product? The ONLY reason Colt has even survived as a company is that the government overpays.

Colt fanboys are worse than Glock.

Colt used to be the end all be all when it came to the AR15 platform. Hell they used to have a monopoly on use of the name "AR15" That has not been the case for quite some time. Back when your options where Bushmaster, Colt and Oly Arms and then a smattering of off name copies of those same parts the Colt stood out as the clear winner. (Bushmaster eventually became comparable or maybe even a dead equal and then went downhill but whatever)

These days Colt is no where close to the top of the food chain. They make a solid product but for the most part its the same product that was made 20 years ago. Since then the AR tech has exploded. There have been massive advancements in materials, parts design and evolution of the platform. Colt has tried all sorts of shenanigans to keep there rifle a bit different from the main stream. Way back in the 1980's you had screw pivot pins and odd sized bits. Molested BCG and pined in blockages or weird shape fire control pockets. Now they are making large bore uppers and lowers that are proprietary and dont jive with any other standard. There "advancements" have not been widely accepted and for a decade or more when you where talking about leaders in the AR field Colt's name is not even brought up. When your are throwing around names like LMT, Daniel Defense, Noveske, LWRCI, Nemo/SI-Defense, Mega, PWS you are out of Colts league. For the same money as a Colt you can buy a rifle with far Superior performance and features

Their "standard" AR's, Like the 6920 M4 Carbine that you often see, is priced at a 30% or so premium over comparable offerings. If you look at rifles that are the same price ($1000 range) you can buy a far nicer rifle for the same dough. Most other M4gery's that are built to Mil-spec standards are more $700'ish and the only difference in materials or options is the roll-mark. ( Mil-spec is pretty exacting. Its pretty fair to say they are built to the same standard. After all you have to remember that Colt was the low bidder)

The reality is that Colt is irrelevant in the AR market today. Colt used to BE the AR market, but anyone who thinks they still lead the pack is stuck in the 90's They build a fine rifle, Its just not a contender in the bigger picture and it is still sold at a premium in a marketplace that has passed it by. The reason why you still hear "Its as good as a Colt" is a hold over from when being a Colt meant something.

Sorry Medic.

Last Edited:
When this mint Colt SP-1 was found hidden inside a waterbed frame and then gifted to me, I couldn't believe my luck.
I wouldn't go out and buy a new Colt rifle, but owning this vintage blast from the past is fine with me and if I ever win the lotto, I'm going to buy a lightning link for it. ar-15 colt 001.JPG

I am not saying there are not fine Colt guns. I own a 1989 Colt Sp1 Delta Elite with the little red "delta" insignia. It came with a matching soft case and a rubberized optic that mounts in the carry handle. I have had it since it was new (its currently where it has been for the last 25 years, In my dads safe. I haven't even seen it in the last 15 years)

When this mint Colt SP-1 was found hidden inside a waterbed frame and then gifted to me, I couldn't believe my luck.
I wouldn't go out and buy a new Colt rifle, but owning this vintage blast from the past is fine with me and if I ever win the lotto, I'm going to buy a lightning link for it.View attachment 161893

That's a beautiful thing right there. For as many problems as the old AR designs had, they were amazing firearms for their time.

A Colt is a colt. That's all.

I just don't mind paying a bit more for a gun that has a good resale. That's if it's a well made gun.
I don't want a Colt with oversize pins. Or a shrouded trigger group. Colt has made there flops!

There 6920 is a well made standard AR. That normally has costs too much. But it's a colt. And at$899 I like it.
Resale will be easy. And it could be very profitable. ;)

That's all Colt's AR is to me. Not the best. Just good and always sought after.

I also like all the other AR makers. And all the other handgun makers. If the price is right!
I never dislike a gun just because it's expensive. I will find and spend the money. That's if there is some meat on the bone.:D

You could call me a cheep, name brand fan boy.

I've had a couple nice ARs ("high end") and built some with a $60 lower. In my opinion (which i'm not an expert) most uppers and lowers are all the same. I can't tell the difference. Your money would be much better used on a barrel, trigger, stock, handgaurd, and optic.
The highest dollar amount items in my builds were the barrel and handgaurd.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top