JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm about to order a lower for my next AR. I've got my decision down to Colt or LMT, which are within a few dollars of each other on Gunbroker.

My question is, how much is the value of a build, based upon the lower, to you?

Myself, I wouldn't buy something with a "lower end" lower. I want big name, like Colt or LMT, somebody with a contract.

Honestly the lower is one of the cheaper parts your going to buy most likely. I assume a cheap lower equates to a cheap gun but its not always the case.

I have seen some really high dollar well assembled rifles using Anderson $50 lowers and some absolute junk built with a Noveske Gen III

Its hard for me to comment I guess because the last 10 AR's Ive bought where all built. At this point unless it was a smokin deal I probably would not buy an assembled rifle (that does not mean I would not buy a factory rifle but that is a different critter all together )

If it is a build, the lower makes very little difference to me. Parts is parts.

In a " factory " gun, brand matters a bunch.

$.02

Some of the best fitting uppers to lowers I have seen is from psa. I have shot colts, armalites, s&ws and other name brands who have had a lot of slop between the upper and lower. I know the slop does not mean it is lower quality, but it sure feels cheap in the hand.

Are you building to sell the gun? Why bother with such subtleties if you are just going to shoot it?

I don't care much either way, A basement gun is worth about 30% of what a factory rifle is, It might not be right but it's how I'm wired.

I view a poly lower build about the same level as a Seekins lower build. That might be a bit of a stretch but you get the idea.

Don't get me wrong, I plan on putting together some bargain AR's while parts are cheap or nearly free as they are now for the boys and "rainy day gear" but I won't cut a turd and try to pass it off as fresh baked brownies either. Alas these type rifles have a one way trip as their "Value" is in keeping or giving them away, not selling.

I just added one of the Colt CSR's to my stash for 714.00 from CDNN, If I was worried about names and potential future value I would go with guns like these as you would be hard pressed to build one with equal components for less.

Doesn't matter.
Unless someone knows you and that you have built many ARs, your build is a frankengun.
Best way to go if you are worried about resale is to buy a factory gun. Next closest is buying all the same brand parts or a kit.
But it is still a build. I have a couple guys that I know and trust their builds,but that's only if I'm too lazy to build one myself.
Last is the fact that someone who might consider your frankengun,might,also consider building one themselves.

I have a Anderson that was built for another build. Just for kicks mated it to a billet Mega upper that I have and it fits perfect. The lines even flow together also and looks great. I have a billet Mega lower for that upper and am now thinking is it really worth it.... 60 for the Anderson and over 200 for the Mega....

I have to agree with the others. Unless it is a factory build you are not going to see much of a difference resale value between the 2.

In the case of AR receivers (uppers/lowers) for builds in most cases there is very little difference in quality between the inexpensive and expensive. The exception would be for "special" one like monolithic uppers, maybe some kind of coating, one that takes special mags like Glock or FAL, ect.

My advice. Buy a Colt LE6920, get a stamp, send barrel to ADCO to have it cut down once paperwork comes back. Currently, at $900ish it's the best value out there. In a panic, the Colt LE6920 will triple in value.

I own several lowers, Armalite, Spikes, Anderson, TROS, SAA, etc..
They are all functionally identical. When I squeeze the trigger, the gun goes bang.
Are certain roll marks worth more, yes, but IMHO that is all you are paying for. The roll mark. It will also be more valuable when you sell it, but is it better. Not really.

There are quality, function and feature differences for sure. But they are mostly superficial. Things such as tapered magwells, threaded retaining pins rather than roll pins. intergral trigger gaurds, trigger travel stops and various reinforcements and fences. The difference is akin to a base model vs deluxe fully loaded ride. Both are the same car, to some one is not worth more than the other. They both are the same chassis and take the same parts.

Last Edited:
I always consider the barrel to hold the value of an AR.And a nice trigger.
That's what I believe the accuracy is regulated by,the rest is just furniture.
Heck we have a company up here building ARs with their role stamp and GPS location on the lower.
The bought 80%ers and have them machined up here.Then they build a frankengun,with a bunch of higher mid tier parts.
Then they try,and sell a few, for around $1700,lol.The wooden crate they sell it in must be some real exotic wood.
http://www.fortdiscoveryusa.com/

Agreed, the barrel and BCG really is the AR from a performance standpoint. Sure the trigger and other bits count but you can't make up for a bad barrel with any amount of fancy bits. The BCG is more about reliabity than precision, a crapy BCG can still shoot tight groups.

After Sandy Hook and the potenial AR ban that Obama instigated, any Ar-15 rifle shot up in value.
It didn't matter who made it, put it together or how many rounds were through it.
If you didn't have one, and owning one was your top priority, then you paid thru the nose to get one.
Same thing with ammo.
If you're building your dream SBR, then top quality makes sense, but for a run of the mill plinker, I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks on a blem lower.

Bear with me..

I bought a PSA lower striped locally. Built it then ordered a complete upper from PSA. They fit like a glove and NO wobble.

I then bought a complete TNW upper and a TNW stripped lower at the same time. More slop than a teen girl at a bonfire after too many drinks. So sloppy in fact that I had to put one of those slop pieces in there and it's still there. Probably going to go with different takedown pins, the expanding type.

Point being PSA had a lower and upper fit perfect that had never seen each other until I mounted them.

+1 vote on PSA.

As has already been stated, it's all about the build, barrel, trigger, and bolt. There are only a few different forges that supply ALL the manufactures concerning MILSPEC uppers and lowers. I have an LRB, ATI, and several Essential Arms lowers mated with uppers from Stag, Armalite, Del-Ton, and Essential Arms.

They all mate up nice without ANY slop, but the LRB lower has a slightly "flatter black" finish than all the other lowers, and the Stag upper has slightly "different" lines over the mag-well area than all the other upper's yet the same hued finish. They've all been great and accurate shooters, and I'd trust my life on any of them without any trepidation.

In the end, you're paying for the roll marks on a part that stands a good chance of being from the same source as a different roll marked piece. Concerning the OP's subject, (like it's been stated) "yes" if your looking to investment on resale, and "no" if you're looking for "working kit" to actually use.

I always consider the barrel to hold the value of an AR.And a nice trigger.
That's what I believe the accuracy is regulated by,the rest is just furniture.
Heck we have a company up here building ARs with their role stamp and GPS location on the lower.
The bought 80%ers and have them machined up here.Then they build a frankengun,with a bunch of higher mid tier parts.
Then they try,and sell a few, for around $1700,lol.The wooden crate they sell it in must be some real exotic wood.
http://www.fortdiscoveryusa.com/
For $1700 that rifle better come with a date with Miss Fort Discovery! What a gimmick.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top