JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I tried it with my basic foodsaver & it did a poor job. So stay away from those for mylar. I ended up borrowing my girlfriends hair straightener & it works like a champ! Cheap & easy too! The oxy absorber sucks out all the extra air space in the bag so I don't have a need for a vacuumed seal.

My food saver works very well to seal only. You can get vacuum sealers that are supposed work for Mylar on amazon but they are expensive. I just do the O2 absorber and seal with the food saver (one gallon bags). Anything bigger an iron or hair straightener work great. Good luck!

I tried with my vacuum sealer, it did not work too well. I will admit I have had my vacumm sealer for 14 yrs now, the vacuum sealer still does its intended purpose but will vacuum not vacuum out the air on mylar bags prior sealing, not what it was designed for. I bought a mylar heat sealer on amazon and O2 absorbers if is properly sealed and the O2 absorbers used for the right size mylar bag it works really well.

Remember, if the bag isn't real full when you seal it with the proper 02 absorber, or if the contents have a lot of air space around the parts, it may not suck up tight. That's perfectly OK. The air is only 20% oxygen and that's all that gets absorbed. The rest of the gases, mostly nitrogen with some argon, are inert and won't let your food spoil.

All you need to do is to remove the oxygen part. If you used the right sized 02 absorber and the bag is sealed, you're golden.

I buy the gallon bags from <broken link removed>

Cut to size using craft paper cutter, seal all but top, insert ingredients. add O2 absorber and heat seal end. Usually one 100cc o2 abosrber is plenty for anything under a 1/2 gallon, if I were doing a gallon bag I may use two 100cc O2 absorber. Everything I have done so far has been based on a hefty meal for two or less and one 100cc o2 absorber worked perfectly.

As gunner pointed out if everything else is done correctly it works perfectly. I usually do mine while listening to the idiot box in the vening, I let them set until the next morning or if during the week the next evening and go through them you tell by looking at them if all worked well or not, on occasion I found one or two of of a hundred or more that did get properly, meaning I most likely screwed up somewhere, I just cut open the pouch and use another and redo it.

Byw, I use a laber writer as well or a permanent marker and either place a label or write on the package right away so I know what is in it later

100cc Oxygen Absorbers 3 Packs (100 per pack) 300 Total: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

6" Portable Hand Held Heat Sealer (Model KF-150CST) For Mylar Bags For Long Term Food Storage - Amazon.com

I started using the zipock mylar bags for my smaller portions. I love these. They cost a little more, but for me it was worth it for the convenience. I recently did 100 pounds of rice in quart size bags and shoved them in 6 gallon buckets.

My Food Saver has the rubber tube attachment that is used for canning jar lids.
I just insert the tube into the Mylar bag opening that has been 99% sealed and use it to vacuum out any remaining air, then quickly seal the rest of the Mylar bag.
A couple of O2 absorbers do the rest.

I bought a vacuum sealer and some cheaper bags at Bi-Mart it works OK for food but you must use care when placing the bag so the vacuum does it's job right. I have a large roll of HD clear construction plastic sheeting and I have used this material with the heat sealer to make my own custom sized bags for LTS dehydrated foods and even loose ammo. cut the material to size and fold, heat seal 2 sides, fill with stuff. The thicker material is easier to place in the Vacuum sealer and the air is sucked out quite well. You can use any heavy plastic sheeting to practice.

I also use my foodsaver to "seal only" my mylar bags. Works great! Oxy absorber inside and get as much air out as I can then seal it up... a day later its "vacuum" packed and hard as a rock... Good luck!

I do mine with a venturi style vacuum generator running off my air compressor. I used a blow gun nozzle for a valve and replaced the tip with a 1/8" pipe nipple to go the generator pressure side. A length of 1/4" poly tubing from the vacuum side is inserted into the bag and a hair straightener is used to seal the bag. It is working great and for well under the cost of a food saver. I packed some instant potatoes today and it pulled a really tight vacuum. I redid my 5 gallon buckets too.

You seal most of the top and then put your tube in and seal up next to it. When you are ready to seal off the hole you left for the tube, leave the vacuum on and pull the tube out half way and seal under it. Then you can finish the seal and not lose any vacuum.

Don't borrow the wife's - Trust me :(
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Revlon-Perfect-Heat-1-Straightener/14282406

This is the vacuum generator
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9997k15/=zmohz7

The hair iron method

The food saver method

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR