JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"My wife wheelied her bike ....and it fell back on her........"

If people talked to my friend who did this on a dirt bike and has been a paraplegic for over 45 years perhaps safety might become more of 'front of mind' before tackling hills or dangerous terrain.

I asked my friend about what it was on the Raptor 660s that were problematic, and he said it was the '01 & '02 transmissions that was the issue, so if you go with a 660 (being notably cheaper than 700s), then you might want to avoid those years.

I'd question the use of tracks on a solid rear axle. The tread runs on bogies that will conform to the terrain somewhat but I'm not sure how it'd work on trails. Flat ground probably not an issue. My 2 cents.

I've been taking in what y'all been giving me.And been watching the locals
I think the UTV thing is out the window and will concentrate on a newer ATV 4X4. Probably a Yamaha,unless the Honda can be had for less money.
Just haven't seen much good on the Artic Cats and that's the only other brand in town. Otherwise shop trips are an all day excursion or a whole other day to come back. Every other dealer is 2 hours away.
A 500 class machine should be fine and save me $1500+-. If it isn't big enough,I'll wait and get a bigger machine later. Not like you can't get rid of a machine around here.
Which scares me on buying used. Too many guys around here, USE there machines a lot.
So many things to do with a quad,they do get used for every thing. Farms,hunting,trap lines hauling wood,you name it. Some even use them for recreation!:eek:
Again thanks for the info. Gave me lots of stuff to consider

Maybe a good way to compare Honda vs. Yamaha prices it to look on eBay. But - a lot of guys pour a ton of money into add-ons so that needs to be factored in. If you're going to ride at night or even in a dark forest get a big LED light bar. They really help.

If I was spending your money I'd buy a 600cc or larger Yamaha Grizzly. They really know how to build ATVs & parts are readily available.

Anything wrong with building an off road CJ2A Jeep? Bout the same size as some of these UTVs........ oh, you want independent suspension, roll cage, and maybe more fuel economy....... how bout the Suzuki Samurai from the 80s? Or the old Geo Trackers?

EDIT: I see you've already dismissed the UTV angle and is going for a simple ATV Quad. Well that's awesome :) I can't say much for the conventional ATVs other than they were fun when I was down in Cabo San Lucas with family for a bit... rode a Honda 500cc thing I think, can't remember..it was back in the late 90s when I was a kid.

I just think a CJ2 tub, a simple V6 from the 80s-90s, maybe even current FWD cars, a 5 speed trans with adapter plate, again depending on what the V6 came from.. and maybe give it independent suspension based on the UTV components but beefed up... kind of like a lifted/beefier M151 Mutt...... would be pretty sweet rig to use, and be bombproof. as for roll cage, just the simple CJ2 jeep roll bar system will be fine. maybe a little boring, because there's quite a few CJ2 and CJ3 jeeps for sale on craigslist from $500 for just parts to $5 grand for a running driving one....

Last Edited:
Anything wrong with building an off road CJ2A Jeep? Bout the same size as some of these UTVs........ oh, you want independent suspension, roll cage, and maybe more fuel economy....... how bout the Suzuki Samurai from the 80s? Or the old Geo Trackers?

EDIT: I see you've already dismissed the UTV angle and is going for a simple ATV Quad. Well that's awesome :) I can't say much for the conventional ATVs other than they were fun when I was down in Cabo San Lucas with family for a bit... rode a Honda 500cc thing I think, can't remember..it was back in the late 90s when I was a kid.

I just think a CJ2 tub, a simple V6 from the 80s-90s, maybe even current FWD cars, a 5 speed trans with adapter plate, again depending on what the V6 came from.. and maybe give it independent suspension based on the UTV components but beefed up... kind of like a lifted/beefier M151 Mutt...... would be pretty sweet rig to use, and be bombproof. as for roll cage, just the simple CJ2 jeep roll bar system will be fine. maybe a little boring, because there's quite a few CJ2 and CJ3 jeeps for sale on craigslist from $500 for just parts to $5 grand for a running driving one....
I would love a jeep but the ride and the gas mileage combined is why I didn't buy one after wrecking my truck last year. But I would love one. I had a cj7 back in the 80's and it was a blast. But after running a backhoe all day,it wasn't the ride I needed.My then wife cried when I sold it
And the ride is kinda why I dismissed the UTV as my get around vehicle.
The Suzuki came to mind. It's a nice little 4X4 and gets fairly good mileage
But I'll look at the yamyhaaas today and see what's the haps
JUST SAY NO to ebay. Every time I get near a ebay sight my computer starts flashing this code page on the screen and it some ebay crap.I'm sure i miss out on good deals but I have never bought anything from there

Someone was able to get 31mpg at alt in Colorado with a cj2 or cj3 built with a turbodiesel engine and a 3 speed trans. The ride.... i understand. Just dont think itd be too hard to do coilovers and double As from say... a mustang 2 iifs on all 4.. actually I think thats a lot like the M151 Mutt setup,

The Benz 4cyl diesel is a good swap as is the VW diesel. It think there are a lot of kits for both engines in most smaller suvs
I would guess someone has made kits for the suspension like you are speaking of.
The other thing with Jeeps is everyone seems real proud of them.

So after deciding to look at used and all of them being 2 hours away,I went with a new Yamaha Kodiak special edition. Which makes it a Grizzly with smaller tires
Has 4x4 lock up,power steering and auto trans.
It would have come to this after spending a entire day looking at a couple used ones I didn't trust,either the quad or the seller.
So i pick it up this after noon. And I'll ride it till the tank runs out:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top