JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I sometimes rent utility trailers from U-Haul for different projects that I am working on or when I need to move something. I may rent one for 2-3 days at a time and maybe 6-8 times a year. So not a huge amount by any means. But I often find myself planning out my rental time down to the minute so I can get as much done as possible while its in my possession. I never looked into buying one as I assumed they were really expensive and just not worth it. Until I came across an advertisement for Olympic Trailer in Olympia. I came across an ad for a 5x8 utility trailer and its only $1600, which appears to be the normal price for this type of trailer at most dealerships.

2018_Eagle_Trailer_Falcon_4x8_Utility_Trailer_RiKLi4.jpg

This has got me thinking, I wouldn't be buying it to save on the rental fee. I would be buying it to add convenience. To have one at a moments notice, rather than save up my to do list and do everything at once while I have a rental.

This would not be used for construction or anything just general hauling so I wouldn't be competently beating it up. I am wondering what the life expectancy for a trailer like this would be if is stored outside and uncovered. Are we looking at 5-10 years?? Or Longer??

I have had mine for over 15 years. Two years ago I replaced the wood on it and bought new tires four years ago. It is almost brand new. I use it for hauling bark dust and gravel and most anything that needs more room than the bed of my truck. It will be going over to eastern oregon with me this year for elk season. It's only a 5x8 with a one ton axle. I keep it in a three bat pole barn it was money well spent.

Last Edited:
Keep the bearings greased, keep ahead of corrosion, and keep it clean and it should last indefinitely. I bought an enclosed cargo trailer 5 years ago. Still looks and performs as new.

And yes, it's extremely handy to have available with no notice or pre-thought.

The down side? You'll have more friends than when you didn't have a trailer.:cool:

I had a Big-Tex 30SA trailer (5x14) that I used to haul my ATV's on. Used to store it outside year-round. After about 10 years I replaced the wood deck. Not because it absolutely needed replacing, but because I have OCD and thought it looked ugly. The following year I sold it. :oops:

If you store it outside, as you can imagine, store it hitch up if possible so the rain, snow, etc run out the back. Also, expect it to start getting surface rust and rust areas. A sander or grinder with sanding disks and some heavy duty spray paint helps a lot. Also keep the bearings greased yearly too. ;)

I didn't have any problems and it was always handy for making dump runs, helping people move (mad face), etc. It sure did make it easy for doing "projects" on my time, not dependent upon rental times/days.

You can usually find good used ones on Craigslist, etc. They may look ugly from use, but are probably very sound and have many years of life left in them.

Good luck!

:s0090:

With your own trailer you could customize it....Drill holes for eye bolt, mounting things etc. Note that a lot of utility trailers get stolen. Buy a real good system to keep it from rolling away without you. My foster son got lucky with his flatbed toy hauler after putting in a lot of work searching craigslist and found his stolen trailer out Estacada way. He fabed a long steel bar that went side to side through the wheel spokes with a serious lock to secure it.

Don't buy the Homedepot/lowes cheapies, they have terrible welds. I bought a small on years ago and had to take it in to have better welds and a cross beam. Every serious trailer I have owned I had built. It cost more but you end up with a life time trailer.

The original Canadian made 6x4 trailer "SnowBear" is a pretty good light duty trailer that can be taken apart in sections and stored against a wall. Takes about an hour to assemble. The side, front and rear panels are easily removed if you need a flatbed only. Storing it inside when not in use greatly extends the lifetime.
One good feature was that you can extend the tongue and lay down the front/back gates and then have a 10' bed.
The Harbor Freight replicas are junk.
I sold mine to a friend and borrow it every now and then for special hauls.
Here's one for sale on Craigslist up near the border.

2007 Snowbear 6X4 utility trailer - $850 (Abbotsford)

image 5 of 5
00505_1vZrXHWVXa8_600x450.jpg
01313_lGal0bjbWRr_600x450.jpg
00k0k_4OKxnS0Xmu1_600x450.jpg
00909_22gqUQlZAg0_600x450.jpg
00w0w_8TpV9pbC0hq_600x450.jpg
00505_1vZrXHWVXa8_50x50c.jpg 01313_lGal0bjbWRr_50x50c.jpg 00k0k_4OKxnS0Xmu1_50x50c.jpg 00909_22gqUQlZAg0_50x50c.jpg 00w0w_8TpV9pbC0hq_50x50c.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

condition: excellent
paint color: black

2,000 gvrw. trailer is in excellent condition. Used only a few times.. selling as I have a new truck and it doesn't fit anymore.

I have a snowbear my stepdad gave me because he hated it.
I've used it a ton over the last 5 years owning a home.
It's a cheap trailer but I've abused it a lot and pushed well past the stated load limit and it just keeps on going.

It's got some rust on it so I've been waiting to grind it down and repaint it. Just haven't had time.
I've wanted to buy a heavier duty trailer but it keeps on trucking

I know a big step up, but I bought a 5x10 dump trailer and it's one of the best buy's I ever made. The time it saves dumping, use it as as an on site dumpster, yard work, landscaping, all kinds of loading, and you can rent it out and it more than pays for itself.
Little box that prints $$.

I know a big step up, but I bought a 5x10 dump trailer and it's one of the best buy's I ever made. The time it saves dumping, use it as as an on site dumpster, yard work, landscaping, all kinds of loading, and you can rent it out and it more than pays for itself.
Little box that prints $$.

Gotta love dump trailers!

My utility trailer is say 20 years old and going strong. It's stored outside propped up so it has roughly a 30 degree slope causing rain water to run out. I put a coffee can over the jack assembly so that water does not get into that mechanism.

I've swapped out the plywood siding once due to weathering and the floor panels twice in that time. Just normal maintence otherwise. Grease and adjust the bearings and hit the rusty spots with a wire brush and rattle can as soon as you see the paint suffering. I've never done a full repaint … but it probably could use one.

Last Edited:
Keep the bearings greased, keep ahead of corrosion, and keep it clean and it should last indefinitely. I bought an enclosed cargo trailer 5 years ago. Still looks and performs as new.

And yes, it's extremely handy to have available with no notice or pre-thought.

The down side? You'll have more friends than when you didn't have a trailer.:cool:

No kidding, my neighbor continued the tradition of nothing but Chevys on my trailer that's being towed buy a Ford!!!
After the third time he come over to ask to borrow it I mentioned the old buy one cry once & get the trailer you want and do it..... now.;)
20180708_133302.jpg

I've had my 18' trailer since 2012 & it is in FINE shape.

20170625_125353.jpg

i've had one my dad gave me 20 years ago he found at a yard sale for 50.00 We used to make custom ones at our shop but unless you need a custom one go to craigslist and yard sales and find one that has a good frame and a good axle that takes common tires/rims. As long as the bones are good you can just take some new plywood and use that for the floor and sides.

Life expectancy? Indefinite.
Mine started as a travel trailer, then cut into a toy hauler, then planked as a flatbed. Next year I hope to redeck it and do a beaver tail on it then add some legit ramps.
View attachment 507632 View attachment 507633

Nothing pretty but it hauls stuff, the brakes work, the tires were new (including the spare) and I only paid $300. Watch CL for deals.

Life expectancy? Indefinite.
Mine started as a travel trailer, then cut into a toy hauler, then planked as a flatbed. Next year I hope to redeck it and do a beaver tail on it then add some legit ramps.
View attachment 507632 View attachment 507633

Nothing pretty but it hauls stuff, the brakes work, the tires were new (including the spare) and I only paid $300. Watch CL for deals.

I found mine on C/L brand new just before Christmas (dealer wanted to sell 10 ASAP) $998.....:cool:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top