JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is the Utah concealed legal in Oregon?
Mine is good for 2 more years
I just noticed my Oregon concealed expired a year ago
Do I have to go through the whole thing again or ????????
Thanks

Oregon does not recognize any other states permits. As far as renewing yours it's a crap shoot if your county will require the whole process or not.

Is the Utah concealed legal in Oregon?
Mine is good for 2 more years
I just noticed my Oregon concealed expired a year ago
Do I have to go through the whole thing again or ????????
Thanks

If you still have your paper work that you took the class and passed you are good to go on that end. You will have to fill out some paper work and pay and you be on your way.

Does anyone know or know of someone that that has been able to use another states CHL as proof of completing the required class and just filled out the paperwork and paid the county?

Does anyone know or know of someone that that has been able to use another states CHL as proof of completing the required class and just filled out the paperwork and paid the county?

If your training was taught by an NRA instructor or LE instructor and included a component on handgun safety, you should be fine.

Here's the OR training requirement:
ORS 166.291*(1)*(f) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:
***** (A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;
***** (B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;
***** (C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;
***** (D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;
***** (E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
***** (F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or
***** (G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

FWIW, My wife's CHL had been expired for over a year. She went in to the sheriffs office, showed them the expired
permit, paid the fee and renewed--no problem. Yamhill County.

I took no classes to get mine, Not sure about any other county but Columbia accepts dd214's as proof of training.
If your DD214 shows evidence of handgun qualification, yes. If you were rifle-only, no. A medic friend of mine never qualified on the M9, and they turned him down.

Could be the county though. - Clackamas

Yamhill County; come-on in conservatives, "the water is fine"!

"I hear" they accept DD214s and other military records if the word "pistol" is mentioned. Sheriff Crabtree also stated that he will keep CCW records private.... so I hear. :s0155:

Depending on where you received your HG training, you may still be in their database.
I had a list of authorized/acceptable training, but I gave it to my dau.

Columbia county will be the one I have to apply in, I currently have my AZ chl (moved back to OR in 2011) and AZ required an 8 hour class that included a live fire section. I know that there is no reciprocity on the permit, but I am hoping that they will accept the permit as proof of already having completed the training.

This does not exactly answer your question but it is close. I live in WA. I took a single class that qualified me for Oregon and Utah. I sent away for the Utah permit by mail, and drove to Oregon to apply for the permit there. I had to do some research to discover which county in Oregon would be receptive to me doing this, since I do not live in OR. I ended up at Columbia County, which allows out of state people to apply for CHL if they submit a letter explaining why they want one, and that they frequently enter or pass through Oregon.

Since different states have different training requirements, and it can vary widely even within one state, there can be no 100% answer to your question. My recommendation to you is that you pick up the phone and call the places you'd like to obtain the permit from, and ask their policies/requirements. You'll learn very quickly who is friendly/helpful and who is not, and what the real procedures are, regardless of what policies may be posted on websites.

As an example, the first county I called in Oregon not only disallowed out of state permit applications, but they also refused to tell me which counties would allow it. They were openly hostile to me on the phone. Columbia county was friendly and helpful.

When I called, the person I spoke to couldn't answer my question and basically said, submit and see if it flies. I asked here just to see if by chance someone else has gone the same route as I have.

For Washington county, I had let my permit lapse and didn't renew. That was in 2004. I went in last year and reapplied. They considered it a renewal and didn't ask for any other info. I've since moved to Washington State and applied thru Wash. County for a Non-resident permit. Again everything from before applied and I got it without any issues.

Deschutes county is very friendly to out of state applications. I have several friends that live in Washington that have got there permits in Deschutes county.

I had to do some research to discover which county in Oregon would be receptive to me doing this, since I do not live in OR. I ended up at Columbia County, which allows out of state people to apply for CHL if they submit a letter explaining why they want one, and that they frequently enter or pass through Oregon.

As an example, the first county I called in Oregon not only disallowed out of state permit applications, but they also refused to tell me which counties would allow it. They were openly hostile to me on the phone. Columbia county was friendly and helpful.

I've had my OR permit from Multnomah County since I first got it many years (and renewals) ago. At that time you had to take the OR approved course, have a letter from the WA Health Dept that your weren't and adjudicated mental case, a letter from your employer stating it was OK to have a permit, and a letter stating why you wanted it (as I remember). Training was done in a room at the Sheriff's office. Letter from the Health Dept was no problem, just had to request it, letter from employer was easy since I had a business, same with the letter as to why I wanted it.
As I remember this last renewal I just needed a letter with the reason stated.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top