JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I say, strap him to the chair, and build a fire under him. His victim did not decide how he got to die.

Barring that, yeah, spend $6 worth of bullets and let him die.

Remember Gary Gilmore? He chose execution by firing squad in Utah in the late 1970s. I think the choices at that time were firing squad or hanging. That would have been an even easier choice. Norman Mailer wrote a great book about the Gilmore story.

Trivia Question: What did Gary Gilmore request, and receive, for his last meal?

The night before, Gilmore had requested an all-night gathering of friends and family at the prison mess hall. On the evening before his execution, he was served a last meal consisting of a steak, potatoes, milk and coffee, of which he consumed only the milk and coffee. His uncle, Vern Damico, who attended the gathering later claimed to have secretly smuggled in three small, one-ounce Jack Daniels whisky shot bottles for Gilmore which he supposedly consumed.

Gilmore had requested that, following his execution, his eyes be used for transplant purposes. Within hours of the execution, two people received his corneas. Most of his other organs were used for transplants, as well. His body was sent for an autopsy and cremated later that day. The following day, his ashes were scattered from an airplane over Spanish Fork, Utah.

I wonder if they will alcohol swab the bullets so they are sterile when they enter him. Like what the do with a lethal injection?

I have always found it rather amusing that we as a society claim to go to such great lengths to execute inmates in a manner that is "humane".

Electric chairs, gas chambers, gallows and lethal injections exist for one reason; so that those who do the killing are supposedly "spared" the sight of any blood or gore.

By any reasonable standard...the most effective,foolproof and instantaneous method of execution would be a single shot to the back of the head with a high-powered rifle at point blank range.

Unfortunately, as a society we lack the gonads to conduct executions in such a manner. Instead we create hideous devices such as the electric chair or the gas chamber to do our dirty work for us and then justify their use on the grounds that they are somehow more "humane".

I am personally opposed to the death penalty; not on moral grounds but on the basis that our legal system is still too flawed to allow the state to be the arbiter of a persons life or death. But if we are going to use capital punishment, we need to at least have the courage to do it correctly.

soberups I think a lot of our execution methods are designed to be easy on the executioner. The firing squad is the easiest by far, 12 shooters 6 blanks. Those 12 shooters should never be assigned to that task again. Big pool to draw on, local police department, sheriff's department, state police, department of corrections, national guard.

i would choose firing squad over injection, less chance of pain and mistakes.:s0155:

on another note.....i hope they do it in the desert or something, cause that will be a terrible mess for someone to clean up.

soberups I think a lot of our execution methods are designed to be easy on the executioner. The firing squad is the easiest by far, 12 shooters 6 blanks. Those 12 shooters should never be assigned to that task again. Big pool to draw on, local police department, sheriff's department, state police, department of corrections, national guard.

The whole "load one gun with a blank" custom is rather foolish. Anybody with any experience at all shooting high-powered rifles will be able to tell by the recoil (or lack thereof) whether they just shot a 165 gr. bullet or a blank cartridge. And on a deeper level, if the intent of an execution is to administer justice in a fair manner then there shouldnt be any reason to try and "spare someones feelings" or "lessen their guilt" by loading one gun with a blank. If they have any moral reservations about what they are doing, they shouldnt be doing it in the first place.

I would also disagree with the idea that no one should ever be asked to perform an execution more than once. If they have a moral objection to participating, that's OK; if they dont, there is no reason why a professional marksman who is at peace with what he is doing should be limited to one execution. If anything, we would be better off using men who are experienced and know what to expect.

That's not a problem as much now since we have Intra-Osseus if a vein can't be found.. Where they essentially shoot a needle right below your knee cap into your tibia.

And it's about as effective delivery system as veins.

Veins aren't the only problem, seems like the drugs do different things to different people... Intra-osseus line or not, I'd rather take 4 bullets to the heart.

i would choose firing squad over injection, less chance of pain and mistakes.:s0155:

on another note.....i hope they do it in the desert or something, cause that will be a terrible mess for someone to clean up.

When an inmate is electrocuted, he often catches fire. It is also normal for the body to void its bladder and bowels, and for the fluids in the body to boil and leak out thru various orifices.

The gas chamber is pretty nasty also. After the condemned is pronounced dead, the cyanide gas within the chamber must be vented. The staff must then enter the chamber (wearing respirators) strip the deceased naked, and spray ammonia all over the body to neutralize any remaining poison. As with electrocution, the body voids its bladder and bowels.

Regardless of the method used, someone has to clean up a mess.

I have always found it rather amusing that we as a society claim to go to such great lengths to execute inmates in a manner that is "humane".

Electric chairs, gas chambers, gallows and lethal injections exist for one reason; so that those who do the killing are supposedly "spared" the sight of any blood or gore.

By any reasonable standard...the most effective,foolproof and instantaneous method of execution would be a single shot to the back of the head with a high-powered rifle at point blank range.

Unfortunately, as a society we lack the gonads to conduct executions in such a manner. Instead we create hideous devices such as the electric chair or the gas chamber to do our dirty work for us and then justify their use on the grounds that they are somehow more "humane".

I am personally opposed to the death penalty; not on moral grounds but on the basis that our legal system is still too flawed to allow the state to be the arbiter of a persons life or death. But if we are going to use capital punishment, we need to at least have the courage to do it correctly.

Wow, could be the Absinthe, but I couldn't agree more. Especially the last paragraph.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top