JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last Edited:
Geez....how about supporting one of the supporting vendor's of the forum-huh? Seriously, we have some openings in this Friday's class. Call Vivian at 541-451-5532 or email her at [email protected]. You can peruse our course schedule at www.oregonfirearmsacademy.com

If you choose not to train with us or don't want too then by all means give Roger Moore a call. Roger is really good people and super squared away.

from
<broken link removed>

Any law-abiding citizen with a valid Utah CCW Permit, even a Non-Resident of Utah, may legally carry a Concealed Firearm in the following 27 States: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming. While some States have Reciprocal Agreements, others will honor out-of-State CCW Permits based on their own Concealed Firearms Laws.

Thanks for your interest in my classes. Here is the info about the next class. Please follow the registration instructions therein and bring your lunch and photo ID.
Hope to see you there!

GunSmart - Firearm Training UT/OR CHL Classes in 2009
The class schedule is listed at gunsmartfirearmtraining.com/Schedule.html and new classes are added regularly. Classes with openings are scheduled on April 11
and April 25 in Clackamas. I try to fill the classes on the closest date first. I may add more depending on the demand.

Unless stated otherwise, there are still openings in all listed classes so please notify your friends, family, and co-workers who may have expressed interested. The
classes have been filling up about 2 weeks in advance so if you do want to register, please do so in a timely manner.

Permit Requirements:
You must be at least 21 years old with no felony, domestic violence, or alcohol related criminal convictions and legally able to own a firearm to attend this class
and get the permits. Oregon permits are only available for legal residents of Oregon and those states that border Oregon. Utah permits are available to US citizens
and legal aliens that meet the criteria. Note that the Utah permit is valid in Washington but you need an Oregon permit to carry concealed in Oregon. This class
qualifies you for both permits.

Class Location:
Saturday classes will be at the Comfort Suites Hotel at 15929 SE McKinley Ave in Clackamas, OR. Their phone number is 503-723-3450. They are located about 1 block
WEST of I-205 at exit 12 or 12B, depending on whether you are approaching from the south or north respectively. Classes in Everett, WA are held at Sam's Gun Club.

Course Information:
As of July 1, 2006, all applicants for the UT permit must take the entire class because Utah does not recognize previous training. Also, you must apply for the UT
permit before 6 months have elapsed after you took the class or you will have to take the class again.

The class meets the minimum Utah and Oregon CHL training requirements covers these topics:

1. Basic Handgun Safety
2. Gun handling exercise
3. Utah and Oregon laws on weapons and deadly force
4. Concealed carry equipment and techniques
5. States where the Utah and Oregon permits are recognized.

The photographer starts taking pictures shortly after 8 AM to 9 AM. Please do not arrive before 8 AM, however. The lecture is scheduled tenatively from 9 AM - 4 PM,
the actual starting time will be the earlier of 9 AM or when all students have been photographed and are seated. The ending time is dependent on the number of students
and the number of questions. Signing certificates and applications may take a bit longer.

You must successfully pass the gun handling exercise to pass the class!

Cost and Registration Info:
Registration is required before attending a class. The cost of the class is $75 per person if you pay ahead of time. If you pay the full amount at the door, the
cost is $85 per person in Clackamas and $95 in advance or $105 at the door in Everett. There may be a fingerprint taker, notary, and photographer at the class.
If you choose to use those services, please bring another $30 total. You are not required to use those services but eventually you will need to get those services
from someone to get the UT permit.

Registration is not complete until a payment is received and you have contacted me with the way you want your name to appear on the completion certificate.
The registration form is found at http://gunsmartfirearmtraining.com/GunSmartRegistrationFormMarch2009.pdf. Registration requires sending your name, address,
phone number, date of your first and second choice of classes, email address, statement that you've read the refund policy, and check or money order in the proper
amount made out to me at:

Roger Moore
PO Box 2069
Estacada, OR 97023

However, if you have contacted me but do not have time before the class is scheduled to mail a check so that it will arrive on time, please arrive by 8:30 AM for
registration. But, you must confirm your attendance before coming because attendance is limited, and the right number of student packets and course completion
certificates must be printed.

Refund Policy:
There are no refunds for student cancellations. However, if you cancel with more than 2 weeks before the class your entire deposit will apply to another class. If
you cancel with more than 1 week but less than 2 weeks before the class, half of your deposit can be applied to another class. If you cancel with less than a week
before the class, none of your money will be applied to another class unless extenuating circumstances apply. If you pay but just do not show up, your course fee
will not be refunded or applied to another class unless extenuating circumstances apply. In all cases, the instructor will determine if extenuating circumstances
are valid. If the instructor cancels the class, you will be given a choice of getting your money back, or applying the deposit to a different class.

What You Should Bring:
Please bring your government issued photo ID, lunch, note taking materials, and for classes in the Portland area another $30 (if you choose) for the photography,
printing, and notary services. Costs for those services may be more expensive in other locations. By bringing your lunch, I can continue to lecture while you eat
and that typically shaves an hour off the length of the class.

What You Should NOT Bring:
You should NOT bring any firearms, ammunition, and recording devices of any kind.

Information for Non-Residents of Oregon Who Want the OR Permit:
Residents of states that border Oregon can get the Oregon permit, but will need to provide a letter from the state?s Dept of Mental Health 1 stating that the
applicant has not been judged incompetent, etc and should have a business purpose typically in the Oregon county where the application is submitted. The letter
may not be required if you already have a CHL from your state. The sheriff where you apply will determine that. Some OR counties are more friendly than others
for out of state applicants and may not require a business purpose. These may include the sheriffs located in Astoria, St. Helens, Lakeview, and Hood River. Your
experience may vary of course.

1. DSHS/MENTAL HEALTH DIVISION
<broken link removed>

1115 Washington Street/P.O. BOX 45320
Olympia, Washington 98504-5320
FAX: (360) 902-0809 or 902-7691
Office of Consumer Affairs: 1-800-446-0259

Send a fax or letter to them with your signature requesting your history be released. You must include an accurate address.

Applying for the Permits:
Assuming you successfully complete the class by passing the gun handling exercise and taking good notes, you will receive a course completion certificate and
an application for the Utah permit that will have my instructor info and signature on them. A copy of the course completion certificate is what you would use
if you apply for an Oregon CHL at your local sheriff's office. Make sure you copy both sides of the course completion certificate. Application for the OR permit
must be done in person at your local sheriff's office.

All students should apply for the UT permit through the mail within 6 months of taking the class. Send them the original application. After getting the UT
application notarized, you will send it to Utah along with a check for the application fee (currently $65.25), a passport quality photo with your name written
on the back, a copy of your driver?s license, and a completed fingerprint card. I'd suggest sending a copy of any other CHL that you might have also, I believe
doing so has sped things up in the past for other applicants. The aforementioned letter from non-residents of Oregon is not required when applying for the UT permit
because the UT background check includes the mental health check.

If you have any questions about the class, please call me at (503) 348-7354 or send me email at [email protected].

Hey Jason

Jim Jacobe gives the class here in Salem.You do need your oregon concelled first. If you have any more questions here is his# 503-362-0584.

No Oregon required to apply for the Utah. I called Jim before posting this thread. I wanted to check for myself since I indeed took the class 2 months ago without having an Oregon. Jim informed me its taking about 90 days from the time they cash your check or run your debit, not from the time you mail it.

I have found it actually more beneficial to get the Florida permit, which was very easy to obtain, since I already have a WA and OR permit. You might want to look into the Florida one depending on where you travel. :)

Go to the following website http://handgunlaw.us/ and on the left is a button titled Create License Map, click on that and then click on Utah, Florida and Washington/Oregon which ever applies and you will see all of the states that you will be legal in.

The Florida license seems to cover more states. With the Utah license I would only gain MN.

Play around with it and find what is best for you.

from
<broken link removed>

Any law-abiding citizen with a valid Utah CCW Permit, even a Non-Resident of Utah, may legally carry a Concealed Firearm in the following 27 States: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming. While some States have Reciprocal Agreements, others will honor out-of-State CCW Permits based on their own Concealed Firearms Laws.

There are fewer states now. Take Nevada off the list. It would be better to look up the law of each state you may be visiting rather than relying on non-state hosted web sites.

Dual Smoking Gunns LLC offers Utah classes every month. I took mine there last month. $100 covers everything you need to send in...picture, fingerprints, application, etc...

The class was to last 3.5-4 hrs...we were out of there within 2 hrs.

Next day I mailed in everything including a check for $65.25...now I'm waiting to get my license.

Hope this helps...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads