JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Utah's Episcopal Bishop Scott Hayashi knows how it feels to have a bullet rip through his flesh.

Decades ago, the future clergyman was a 19-year-old clerk in a Tacoma, Wash., record store when three robbers stormed into the place. One hopped over the counter and demanded the young Hayashi give him all the money in the cash register. It was $9.

As the young clerk turned his head, the thief thrust his gun at Hayashi's abdomen and fired.

"Even though I had been shot," the Utah bishop says in a video produced by the Episcopal Diocese of Utah, "I did not feel any pain."

He laid on the floor in shock until others found him. A few months and multiple surgeries later, Hayashi emerged from his hospital bed forever changed.

At no time, though, did he wish he had a firearm at the store.

"There was nothing I could have done to stop what was happening," he says in the film. "If I had had a gun in my possession, it would have done me no good and most likely it would have been used against me or stolen."

To this day, the leader of the state's 5,000 or so Episcopalians remains convinced that the solution to violence is not more guns — especially not in churches — even in the aftermath of a massacre at a Texas Baptist church, where a single shooter gunned down 26 worshipers in the latest attack on a faith community.

Continue Reading: Utah churches grapple with a scary scenario: What to do if a shooter shows up?

Any group concerned with self defense would benefit from taking copious notes from how Israel has defended itself from extremeism since 1948.

That is not to say Israel is perfect; and do not expect (or be weary of) a "Saul to Paul" experience...:D
but spending some time looking into their defensive measures may help.

Mormons I know, and shoot with, are not pacifist in the least.

That is what I've noticed too. I'm not of the LDS faith, but have lived in areas where there were a lot of adherents to said religion. I don't recall a single Latter-Day Saint that was anti-RKBA. Many were active in personal and community preparedness, which is a quality I admire in any person, religious or otherwise. But, that is another topic.

Last Edited:
That is what I've noticed too. I'm not of the LDS faith, but have lived in areas where there were a lot of adherents to said religion. I don't recall a single Latter-Day Saint that was anti-RKBA. Many were active in personal and community preparedness, which is a quality I admire any any person, religious or otherwise. But, that is another topic.

I am not of the LDS faith either but I know some people and they store food rations, water, and of course firearms. We live in an earthquake zone I have a earthquake kit, food rations, water. I bet a lot of people are totally unprepared for any disaster being earthquake, riot, etc.

Utah CCW laws you cannot carry in some places of worship or a least that is how I read it.

Utah State Legislature

I find it an interesting phenomenon that most conservative states have the most clusterbubblegum of gun control laws. It leaves me with an impression that many pro-gun conservatives don't really understand what gun rights truly means.

this is just an observation and I could be wrong... I certainly don't know all the laws in all the states... but the issue recently came to light with the debate on churches being gun free zones in the Texas shooting.

That is what I've noticed too. I'm not of the LDS faith, but have lived in areas where there were a lot of adherents to said religion. I don't recall a single Latter-Day Saint that was anti-RKBA. Many were active in personal and community preparedness, which is a quality I admire in any person, religious or otherwise. But, that is another topic.

I have Morman family & friends in Florida that are ALL Pro gun & the nicest people you would ever meet. They value their rights to privacy and RTBA and I would hold up with them in a SHTF situation if I was down there.

I am not of the LDS faith either but I know some people and they store food rations, water, and of course firearms. We live in an earthquake zone I have a earthquake kit, food rations, water. I bet a lot of people are totally unprepared for any disaster being earthquake, riot, etc.
im not mormon but have friends that practice mormanism. they are EXTREMELY prepared and extremely pro gun. last people on earth i'll tell ya.

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This morning as all Sundays, I carry my Glock 23 and a extra mag. I'm always in the last row with a sight line on the two entrances into the chapel. Could a perp make it like Texas? Maybe so, but I'm not the only one carrying. I know many of you enjoy our Bishop storehouses for food storage and I encourage you to do so. Good basics are available and yep, we prep!

I'm becoming more and more convinced that pacifism is a mental disorder, and furthermore the article further cements my disdain (and lack of use) for organized religion.

:rolleyes:

Believe it or not (for those who know me) I was raised in a JW household. Its the same way, hence one of the same reasons Im not a Jay Dub.....

I WILL defend myself and my family by any means necessary. I WONT lay there and pray and "hope" nothing happens to me or us.

Me and my gmaw got into this exact same conversation a few years ago. It didnt end well, especially for her....I felt bad but I was only speaking the truth. I just couldnt comprehend how she and her fellow followers could just lay there and be beat to death by some A-HOLE.....it boggles my mind...my whole fam is like that....I dont get it...self preservation is what Im talkin about. AND THEIR life preservation, if the situation arose.

Riddle me this, If I went back to the church with her and something happened, and I (or who ever) happened to stop the situation by means of taking another persons life but saving countless others, why does that make me the bad guy? Cops carry guns....."oh but thats ok, because they're protecting us".......

Believe it or not (for those who know me) I was raised in a JW household. Its the same way, hence one of the same reasons Im not a Jay Dub.....

I WILL defend myself and my family by any means necessary. I WONT lay there and pray and "hope" nothing happens to me or us.

Me and my gmaw got into this exact same conversation a few years ago. It didnt end well, especially for her....I felt bad but I was only speaking the truth. I just couldnt comprehend how she and her fellow followers could just lay there and be beat to death by some A-HOLE.....it boggles my mind...my whole fam is like that....I dont get it...self preservation is what Im talkin about. AND THEIR life preservation, if the situation arose.

Riddle me this, If I went back to the church with her and something happened, and I (or who ever) happened to stop the situation by means of taking another persons life but saving countless others, why does that make me the bad guy? Cops carry guns....."oh but thats ok, because they're protecting us".......
good post dude man.

a cops job is to enforce the law. how can someone think that police are there to protect us. its impossible to be omni present. only "the individual" can have the ability to protect themselves at all times.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top