JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings.

I am wondering. I just moved to Washington on July 5th. I just received my driver's license dated for August 9th. Now, Washington law indicates that handguns purchased are subject up to a 60 day waiting period UNLESS you have a CCW (9.41.090). I can provide a lease and utility setup agreement as well as a letter from my employer to satisfy proof that I have lived here 90 days consecutively (9.41.092)
However, it does not distinguish if a UTAH CCW is sufficient which I have. I have tried google and have not come across this situation and I don't want to go to a gun store, plop down the cash and then be told that I have to wait.
Why am I asking this? Because if I wait until I can get a Washington CCW (even though I have a Utah one) I am looking at an additional 10 days after October 5th if the dealer accepts the above proof or waiting an additional 30 days for a Washington CCW if I wait till October 5th to apply. And I have my eye on a nice VP9sk which I would like to carry out.

Your Utah permit is recognized here. Concealed Weapon Reciprocity | Washington State

However, RCW 9.41.073(b) says: "This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state." I believe that means that reciprocity does not apply to you because you are a resident of WA. Thus, you need a WA CPL to carry concealed and bypass the waiting period on handgun purchases.

In WA, we call them CPLs, not CCWs. Just a difference of nomenclature.

WALawyer, Thank you. Good catch. I did not review that portion but you are absolutely correct. I spoke to my local police station and they told me to come on down. The lady is willing to waive the 90 day period since I have a license and they understand the difficulty in getting the enhanced license. So looks like I have my appointment for the 25th. Thank you everyone!!!

Your Utah permit is recognized here. Concealed Weapon Reciprocity | Washington State

However, RCW 9.41.073(b) says: "This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state." I believe that means that reciprocity does not apply to you because you are a resident of WA. Thus, you need a WA CPL to carry concealed and bypass the waiting period on handgun purchases.

In WA, we call them CPLs, not CCWs. Just a difference of nomenclature.

This one^^^

If you live in WA you have to have a WA license to carry.

Update:
So the police were really nice. They understood that it takes me a month to get my extended license. In addition, they asked for my offer letter and I brought my lease agreement. They processed the license and I just received it. So off to obtain my VP9SK.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

WALawyer; Thanks for the Post. I didn't see it the first time around but I've now book marked the site. I had it at one time but changed browsers. KKG

Greetings.

I am wondering. I just moved to Washington on July 5th. I just received my driver's license dated for August 9th. Now, Washington law indicates that handguns purchased are subject up to a 60 day waiting period UNLESS you have a CCW (9.41.090). I can provide a lease and utility setup agreement as well as a letter from my employer to satisfy proof that I have lived here 90 days consecutively (9.41.092)
However, it does not distinguish if a UTAH CCW is sufficient which I have. I have tried google and have not come across this situation and I don't want to go to a gun store, plop down the cash and then be told that I have to wait.
Why am I asking this? Because if I wait until I can get a Washington CCW (even though I have a Utah one) I am looking at an additional 10 days after October 5th if the dealer accepts the above proof or waiting an additional 30 days for a Washington CCW if I wait till October 5th to apply. And I have my eye on a nice VP9sk which I would like to carry out.
As a dealer of weapons in Washington state, I have had to deny people I know who use recreational pot to purchase a weapon. It is not a fun thing to do, but federal law requires it. If you lie on the form and it happens like what is going down in hawaii, it is a bad thing. The state government is using the medical and recreational pot card to take away any person who has a weapon. They have 30 days to comply are go to jail. After 30 days if you have not turned in your weapon to the state, they will come to your place and take it from you. Just remember that when you go to the pot shop, you are on a camera watched by the state. Your medical card is on state records. If you lie and they catch you it is a felony and you are done for a long time. You can get your gun rights back, but it takes about 10 years.

As a dealer of weapons in Washington state, I have had to deny people I know who use recreational pot to purchase a weapon. It is not a fun thing to do, but federal law requires it. If you lie on the form and it happens like what is going down in hawaii, it is a bad thing. The state government is using the medical and recreational pot card to take away any person who has a weapon. They have 30 days to comply are go to jail. After 30 days if you have not turned in your weapon to the state, they will come to your place and take it from you. Just remember that when you go to the pot shop, you are on a camera watched by the state. Your medical card is on state records. If you lie and they catch you it is a felony and you are done for a long time. You can get your gun rights back, but it takes about 10 years.

:s0025:

What's that got to do with the price of tea China?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top