Utah CCW and New Washington Resident Cash and Carry

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by paliceag, Aug 17, 2017.

1. paliceag

paliceag
    Seattle, WA

Greetings.

I am wondering. I just moved to Washington on July 5th. I just received my driver's license dated for August 9th. Now, Washington law indicates that handguns purchased are subject up to a 60 day waiting period UNLESS you have a CCW (9.41.090). I can provide a lease and utility setup agreement as well as a letter from my employer to satisfy proof that I have lived here 90 days consecutively (9.41.092)
    However, it does not distinguish if a UTAH CCW is sufficient which I have. I have tried google and have not come across this situation and I don't want to go to a gun store, plop down the cash and then be told that I have to wait.
    Why am I asking this? Because if I wait until I can get a Washington CCW (even though I have a Utah one) I am looking at an additional 10 days after October 5th if the dealer accepts the above proof or waiting an additional 30 days for a Washington CCW if I wait till October 5th to apply. And I have my eye on a nice VP9sk which I would like to carry out.

2. WALawyer

WALawyer
    Tacoma, WA

Your Utah permit is recognized here. Concealed Weapon Reciprocity | Washington State

However, RCW 9.41.073(b) says: "This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state." I believe that means that reciprocity does not apply to you because you are a resident of WA. Thus, you need a WA CPL to carry concealed and bypass the waiting period on handgun purchases.

In WA, we call them CPLs, not CCWs. Just a difference of nomenclature.

Slobray, Joe13 and No_Regerts like this.
  3. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Though the law says how many days something can take, it seems that it rarely takes that long. I'd apply for CPL and do the paperwork on the gun you want. You should have both in two weeks or less.

4. paliceag

paliceag
    Seattle, WA

WALawyer, Thank you. Good catch. I did not review that portion but you are absolutely correct. I spoke to my local police station and they told me to come on down. The lady is willing to waive the 90 day period since I have a license and they understand the difficulty in getting the enhanced license. So looks like I have my appointment for the 25th. Thank you everyone!!!

5. paliceag

paliceag
    Seattle, WA

Thank you for the heads up. I will see how long it takes from the 25th. Take care!!!

No_Regerts likes this.
  6. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

This one^^^

If you live in WA you have to have a WA license to carry.

7. paliceag

paliceag
    Seattle, WA

Update:
    So the police were really nice. They understood that it takes me a month to get my extended license. In addition, they asked for my offer letter and I brought my lease agreement. They processed the license and I just received it. So off to obtain my VP9SK.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Alexx1401 and Joe13 like this.
  8. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington
    Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

WALawyer; Thanks for the Post. I didn't see it the first time around but I've now book marked the site. I had it at one time but changed browsers. KKG

9. Alex V

Alex V
    Portland, OR

It took them about 4 weeks to get my license to me and I'm out of state. Washington or Clark County at least is very efficient in my book.