JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone. I was looking for USPSA Master/ Grand Master coach suggestions. My two go to local guys in the region are unavailable. Looking for another coach that doesn't break the bank but is a great / well above average coach / shooter. That being said not all great shooters make great coaches. Looking for recommendations. With your recommendation please include YOUR Current classification in your division of choice. ( obviously unclass/ d/c shooters evaluations will be weighted differently than A/Masters.) Looking for Dec/ Jan timeline.

Keith Tyler is not doing classes till Feb... LOL. I was just talking to him about classes before I posted this lol. I was hoping to catch a class Dec/ Jan so I can work on skills and such before the spring classes.

Yup, I hate to break your determination... But I already have those. + dvd's+ fractional size metric targets pasted around the house. I am a former Marine, several years USPSA experience, former Private Security contractor. I just am at a plateau and want to break through. I have all of Ben's books and DVD's. At the point where the things I need to fix are going to be things that Ben and Keith will see that I am doing and help me correct (marginal gains). Then I go back and dry fire/ live fire train to dial those changes in, Rinse and repeat. If I can't get a stand in coach I will just continue my process, but I figure I will make more progress with someone doing intermittent evaluations of my progress and adding the things I need to fix into my routine.

If you don't find the training you need, self study accuracy first. Typical shooters are not very accurate. They want to learn how to run and gun but lack the skill to consistently hit a 25 yard popper at slow paced fire. If you can shoot accurately you will improve points and reduce stage times.

Haven't shot USPSA in many years... can't afford the ammo it takes. The two best shooters I knew were a guy we called 'Rocket".. he was either on or off on any particular day. He shot Open with a .38Super and practiced with about 4000 rounds per week. Said it was all about timing the transitions. The other was a 75yr old Grand Master that said it was all about accuracy.

So yeah, I got nothin for ya.

Limited D :D

I am decently accurate in slow fire, eyes are going on me. I did my annual qualification last sunday and only dropped 3 rounds outside of the 10 ring (knees were killing me so was distracted and rushing the trigger and not getting a good press. So jerked those low and left into the 9 ring like a proper right handed shooter.
I have the skill to easily hit 25 yard poppers, I am at the point where I can execute the fundamentals but when I start to speed up to match A pace I drop too many points. I more or less know what I need to do, but having a coach/ program will help me stay on track and learn faster. I am gearing up to do multiple pistol disciplines and less three gun. Might do bullseye, speed steel and USPSA for 2020. Idea is to be a well rounded shooter and be able to execute at any given time. Speed is pointless without accuracy... But finding the blend between timing near, medium and far targets is probably my weak point, typically in matches I have high target scores but the relative lack of speed is what has kept me from my first match win.

I think you are on the right track with shooting different disciplines. I have found that I'll reach a place I get stuck at and get frustrated because I can't "break through" to the next level. I'm a pretty good shot but will never be an Olympic level shooter. I shoot for fun rather than for league standing and enjoy it much more. I show up at local club events randomly and do the best I can at whatever the game is that day. Generally, a speed steel station, bowling pins and a dueling tree will be set up. I like to bring different firearms to change it up a bit and stay proficient across the board and shoot in different classes. If you want to try something totally different you might shoot a round of Cowboy action, I found it to be good fun as well.

They probably require you have a cowboy action gun tho right? Lol. I don't own a single lever gun or revolver. Technically I own a 357, but it's DA/SA and I know I would have a hellova time wrestling it from my cousin.

The first time I did it I had the 2 single action revolvers and a lever rifle but no shotgun, I was planing on not shooting the shotgun stages but a good ol' boy told me to follow him and I could use his 20ga double barrel coach gun. Not saying that'll happen to you but it might.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top