JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I'm really starting to get in "the groove" with my Open gun. Shot my 5th match in Open and in this match I decided to "let er' go", with good results.

After the IDPA championships this year I've been really working on "0 downs/Alphas." This match I went back to my roots and let it hang out. Finished 2nd place, 93% in Open behind a really good Master shooter and beat a couple of veteran A class shooters whom I always watch and try to pace myself with shooting wise.

I think I'll do well if I can stick to one gun and ride it out. I'm really enjoying myself in Open and I think I'll stick with it for a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-7Mb...e=channel_page

My Vio POV1 head cam is in the mail, which means POV hoser cam in the very near future! stay tuned.

Nice shooting! I went out that day to see what this is all about and I think I was following your squad around. Did you have a buddy that was taking turns with the video camera? I'm gonna try and get started soon. I have got thursdays to the marksman twice for the practices.

I need to get a better setup with mag pouches though. Where is a good place to get them at a decent price? Any gear recommendations for a newbie to uspsa?

Jared

Nice shooting! I went out that day to see what this is all about and I think I was following your squad around. Did you have a buddy that was taking turns with the video camera? I'm gonna try and get started soon. I have got thursdays to the marksman twice for the practices.

I need to get a better setup with mag pouches though. Where is a good place to get them at a decent price? Any gear recommendations for a newbie to uspsa?

Jared

Hi Jared,
I was happy to see there was actually quite a few new shooters, as well as spectators that day. Yes, my buddy, Craig and I take turns recording each other.

Gear depends highly on what you plan to shoot. I would always recommend starting off with the pistol you "currently" are the most familiar with. A very common misconception with "getting into" USPSA is that; a. You must have some highly modified, custom pistol. and b. You have to be a very accomplished shooter.

Neither are correct, the hardest part of the sport... is waking up and competing at your first event. After that, you kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

For a good economical start, I would suggest shooting in Production, and buying 2 dual mag pouches from either Uncle Mikes, or Blade Tech. They will generally run you around 15-25 per dual mag pouch. And 2 duals, to hold 4 magazines is sufficient.

For holsters, any open top holster would work great. What you want is a holster that will retain the pistol well, covers the trigger guard and can be easily re holstered with one hand. Kydex is usually preferred, and what I would recommend.

Again, I would recommend either Uncle Mikes, or Blade Tech. Blade Tech is actually located just off Steele Street in Tacoma/Lake Spanaway area. Bullseye has a good spread of Blade Tech gear.

I am shooting at Paul Bunyan this Sunday. Please stop by and introduce yourself and we can chat, ask me questions, bs, etc. I look like the guy in the video above, and I'm usually the only guy named Aristotle on the range. :s0155:

Thank you for the inspiration. What exactly does one need besides a pistol and a holster?

For someone getting into USPSA and IDPA, what do you recommend?

SF-

It depends on what pistol you want to shoot. But generally, what you should bring with you are:

a. Gun
b. Magazines (depending on your division for USPSA, 4-6 magazines are recommended. For IDPA, you only need 3)
c. Ammo ( I'd recommend bringing 250 rounds for USPSA, most matches are anywhere from 130-180, but it's nice to have extra. For IDPA, 100 rounds in my range bag is usually more than enough.)
d. Eye and Ear protection.
e. Open top holster, see explaination above
f. 4 mag pouches, this can be accomplished economically by buying 2 dual mag pouches. That way you can shoot both IDPA and USPSA. IDPA, you only need to put 2 magazines in your pouch on your waist, and 1 in the gun.)
g. The willingness to wake up and want to shoot and have a good time.

Again, this is actually an open invite to anyone here. I will be shooting at Paul Bunyan this Sunday. Please feel free to introduce yourself and we can BS. I love these sports, love sharing what I know, and love getting new guys started.

My match in Renton will start off on the 22nd. We hold USPSA matches in Renton at Renton Fish and Game club (www.rfgc.org) every 4th Sunday of the month.

If you guys have any more questions on wanting to get involved, feel free to email me at:

[email protected]

:s0155:

Thanks for the advice, I have most of what I need already it looks like. I bought a springfield XDM 9 mm a couple months ago and have I'm getting pretty comfortable with it. I'm waiting on one more double mag pouch and two mags from the company and then I'll be set.

Unfortunately I'm gonna be out of town this weekend so I'll miss the feb. competion. I will be there for the march one at Paul Bunyon. I'll defanately look for you when I come.

Thanks again for the advice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top