JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The USPSA Nationals are going to be held in Vegas this year and I'm guessing that since its going to be nearly in our backyard, there will be quite a few people going this year.

But not me! Dammit. Went to Missoula in 07 and had a blast. This
year's dates are the first week of fall term. My wife works at the local
college, and absolutely CAN NOT get away then. Having the Nationals
during the school year is not my idea of good planning.:(

Bill
TY46179

I think thats one of the juggling acts that the USPSA has to play when picking a date for the Nationals. Having it during the summer months in many states turns into an unbearable experience. Last year (and the year before) the USPSA tried to put it in Tulsa in September...but when it rains on the USSA range in Tulsa...the range deck goes to crap.....literally.

This will be my first Nationals experience...and I'm looking forward to it.

WOW I watched that video and that looks like fun. I really want to get into competitive shooting. I am not going to lie I am a TERRIBLE shot and expect nothing but last place but I have always wanted to try something like this. My friend did something like this. I think he called it practical pistol so I am assuming its the same. He came in last place but said everybody was very helpful and he would love to do it again. There was a schedule page but what clubs are in the area? Are there any dates set for the portland/eugene area and how do i look those up.

I am not going to lie I am a TERRIBLE shot and expect nothing but last place .... There was a schedule page but what clubs are in the area? Are there any dates set for the portland/eugene area and how do i look those up.

I started off as a TERRIBLE shot also. Ranked as a D class shooter when I started in 1993....took a few years but I made Master. I can guarantee you that you WILL become a better shot and you will improve your gun handling skills by getting involved in practical pistol shooting.

Regarding clubs in your area. You're in the Columbia Cascade section (they've got a great introductory program down there...like a Practical Shooting 101 type program). You can also go to the USPSA webpage and click on the Club Finder button. Put in your zip code and it will find clubs in your area that participate.

The only bad news I have for you....it is a habit forming addiction! :)

http://www.columbia-cascade.org/

Thanks for the info!
Currently I have a Colt Commander size 1911 in .45ACP, Hi point 9mm(wouldn't consider using this lol) and a HK USP .40 S&W. It sounds like the HK would be my best bet for starting, I have 2 13 round magazines and 1 10 round magazine and a laser sight on it. I would only need one more magazine and a holster that covers the trigger? Is this what you would start with if you are me? I also have a P22 but it looks like you need 9mm or larger rounds right?

When I started playing in '92, I was using a Colt Commander also...using 7 round magazines while everyone else was using mags with more than twice my capacity...but I didn't care.

Your H&K sounds like your best bet (yes..9mm and greater). You'd be shooting in production division where you can only load 10 rounds into your magazines (regardless of the amount of round they can hold). You can't use a laser in Production (leave it turned off). I'd recommend having 4 or 5 magazines total. Its not unusual to have some 32 round stages in a match and there are times where you may shoot 6 - 8 rounds and then drop the partially loaded magazine on the ground.

If it's a rail mount laser you should take it off. It acts as a "weight or device to control
recoil". You probably won't get any flack about at at a club match, but it is
outside the rules.

You could also shoot your commander in L10 or Single Stack.

I do have a 10 round magazine and 1 6 and 1 7 round magazine for the commander. So I guess either will work but I am a little better with the .40 thanks for all the info.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top