Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

USMC Adopts A New 1911

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by idRATHERbeOUTDOORS, Jul 25, 2012.

1. idRATHERbeOUTDOORS

idRATHERbeOUTDOORS Yamhill County Active Member

2. idRATHERbeOUTDOORS

BTW: This is not replacing the M9 it is replacing an already in use rail gun (m45) for special forces.

3. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

It's not an awesome decision. It's a stupid decision. 1911 is a pistol that's fine for target/comp shooting but not for the field. Why? Field stripping. It's a pain. There are handguns that are easy to take apart and clean. 1911 is not amongs them.

4. idRATHERbeOUTDOORS

Like I said, it's not going to be a standard service weapon. It is for special forces and certain branches of the MC.
    Also that is not my video...

5. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

That's funny. I could (back in the army days that is) strip it down and put it back together in less than 3 minutes in the dark.....what's so hard about a 1911????

Stomper, Nickoftime, EMP9596 and 3 others like this.
  6. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Takes me about 5.

7. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

That's a long time to field strip a handgun considering it takes 10-30 seconds to field strip a m9,glock and most other newer pistols

8. idRATHERbeOUTDOORS

Yes. But this isn't replacing the m9 or like pistols. It wasn't even tested against those. It is a replacement for an already existing m45. I believe it is replacing the springfield made m45.

9. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

If you are an combat veteran and have had hands on experiance with the 1911 and current military pistols I would like to hear more on your experiance and the plus and minus's of them.

The 1911 is a close quarters weapon like all other military pistols and it has stopping power. Like any other combat pistol, it's use is primarly to be used in an uptight situation, or as they say: "To fight your way to a long gun or safety". If SF is going to use it, they most likely have a good reason. I carried the 1911 with the M79 in part of 1967. If you had been unluckey enough to see the .45 work in the "real deal' situation you would most likely become a believer, as it is a one shot stops weapon in most cases. I sure as hell would not have wanted a 9mm back then. I now have three family members that are current Army multi tour combat veterans and even though I am 67 I have contact with current serving members of my service unit which is the 101st Airborne. The word from them? "The nine don't get it"
    "Please" don't knock what you don't know.:thumbup:

10. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

I never said it was just stating that you would think they could modernize the 1911 a little bit with a similar take down to newer pistols and higher capacity magazines I realize the 1911 is a battle proven weapon and I love the 1911 platform myself but there are some room for improvements :twocents:

11. andreys21

andreys21 Milwaukie, OR Active Member

Wasn't USMC using the Kimber Warrior and replacing it with Colt Rail Gun? Lame.

12. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

After several combat tours, with both the m9 and the 1911, I spent my last year in the Marines as a shooting instructor, specifically the pistol. I can definitely say that the m9 is not a gun I would ever trust my life with. Ive seen these guns constantly jam and break every week. However, these aren't replacing any M9's sorts really a non issue. These are replacing 1911s put together at Quantico because its difficult for those Marines to have so many weapons on their plate.

13. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

The M9 is a piece of excrement. Beretta has made some good pistols but it ain't one of them. Good to see the 1911 is getting the much needed rail. Springfield made a model at one time but I believe they discontinued it

14. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I think they should have designated it M1911A2...

They do a tough job, if they want to carry an old school 1911, let them. At the very least its made in America.

15. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Takes me about 30 minutes and none of the parts seem to fit right LOL! (Hopefully a gunsmith will help with that)

Anything I consider buying anymore must be reviewed first via a 'field strip' video on Youtube before purchase. I'll only want toys that are easy to take apart, fix, clean anymore.

16. idRATHERbeOUTDOORS

I agree jordanvraptor, If it is up for personal preference. I think if I where after the .45acp power I would put it in a very simple and reliable glock. + you get more rounds. But that's just me I understand the 1911 nostalgia, but I will take what I feel can serve my needs best and 7rnds for me just isn't enough.

17. Barone20

Barone20 Damascus, Or Active Member

they have 8-9-10 round mags too. i agree in the sense that you could just carry another .45. not sure what's wrong with the HK.45 or the Sig also, but i guess if the SF chose this overall it must be for a reason.

18. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I used to carry a custom 1911 with the 10 rd Argentinean mag, that made it an 11 shooter