JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I didnt know that Colorado has a similar or identical law to Washingtons I594.

Apparently, according to this article I stumbled upon they interpret it quite literally...
http://downtrend.com/71superb/cops-take-gun-from-car-crash-victim-refuse-to-return-it

involved in a car accident Sara Warren had to go to the hospital. Police took custody of her lawfully carried concealed pistol but according to the law are not allowed to give it back since the police dept doe not have an FFL.

Technically whoever took possession of the firearm without an FFL transfer committed a crime...by Colorado's own law. So whoever has the firearm at this exact moment has committed a crime since there are no exemptions for Law Enforcement (exept in situations deemed to be contraband).

All they really have to do is walk the gun and her down to a store, ask an FFL to do a BG check then hand her the freekin gun...

It's probably a matter of ego and "pride" for them now, so it'll be the "long road" for her to get it back.

More like a mater of political correctness...any DA should be able to read that thing and realize "oh crap, we have her gun and no transfer was made...we should just make sure she can have it back then give it back." But instead, the same people that probably wrote the damn thing (that would rather everyone not have guns) are saying "well, it says in the law we should do a transfer...and since we don't have an FFL set up to do them- I guess you're screwed."

Technically whoever took possession of the firearm without an FFL transfer committed a crime...by Colorado's own law. So whoever has the firearm at this exact moment has committed a crime since there are no exemptions for Law Enforcement (exept in situations deemed to be contraband).

All they really have to do is walk the gun and her down to a store, ask an FFL to do a BG check then hand her the freekin gun...
Who pays for it? What they really need to do is recognize an unconstitutional law and not follow it.

This came up right after it passed a year or two ago. Confiscating the gun initially was deemed to be, "in the process of their duties." I thought the AG decided returning a firearm was also the same. I could be wrong though, but I remember this has happened before in Colorado.

I dunno about you but if it meant getting my firearm back I would be happy to throw down a $20 just to end the ordeal. Should I have to? No. But so what. The cops had to do something with the gun if she was unconscious or seriously injured. I dont fault them for gathering it up. But they should also make it as simple and painless as possible for her to get it back. I have picked up several firearms from the police (stolen ones that where retrieved) It was a simple matter of showing my ID and signing a form. Possession by LE should be irrelevant as long as ownership is not in doubt. To say that firearm was "transferred" is asinine. Its amazing how little common sense is exhibited by those supposedly with our best interests at heart.

I dunno about you but if it meant getting my firearm back I would be happy to throw down a $20 just to end the ordeal. Should I have to? No. But so what. The cops had to do something with the gun if she was unconscious or seriously injured. I dont fault them for gathering it up. But they should also make it as simple and painless as possible for her to get it back. I have picked up several firearms from the police (stolen ones that where retrieved) It was a simple matter of showing my ID and signing a form. Possession by LE should be irrelevant as long as ownership is not in doubt. To say that firearm was "transferred" is asinine. Its amazing how little common sense is exhibited by those supposedly with our best interests at heart.

FYI

Per the law, an FFL cannot charge more than $10 for the call...

It is the intention of the laws' authors to cause these types of problems. When they use the phrase "common sense", this is exactly the type of scenario that they mean.

Mmmm guess everyone will need to get an FFL and carry paperwork with them that deems something a legal transfer. Or just pack a gun you are not worried to lose. Good case for buying more guns, tell your wives you better stock up:D

It is the intention of the laws' authors to cause these types of problems. When they use the phrase "common sense", this is exactly the type of scenario that they mean.

By their own definition, they took possession of her firearm without a transfer or official cause. EMTs handed it to her, and the cops should have dropped it off to her or a family member.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top