JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I was to use up all the random powder for bulk ammo and load them all to the published, say 2600 FPS range, would the POI be significantly different for range ammo from one powder to another considering the different burn speeds?
I'll have to dig for the article on ladder tests in determining accuracy. The author asserted, confirmed by experiment : same bullet, same MV, same ES & SD, your POI will be the same. Doesn't matter what powder got you there..
Physics and common sense would say that is an accurate statement.

I'll have to dig for the article on ladder tests in determining accuracy. The author asserted, confirmed by experiment : same bullet, same MV, same ES & SD, your POI will be the same. Doesn't matter what powder got you there..
Physics and common sense would say that is an accurate statement.

I would think that different powders would cause the barrel to whip differently and where the bullet exits the barrel in the whip would cause different POI. How much, or would I even notice, I guess I'll find out. Assuming I can get similar velocity throughout several powders.

My thought is you are going to make loads out of powder (s) you don't want to use anymore then match grade load development is a waste of time, might as well make middle of the road shootem' up ammo. Shooten' them up will still be mo' betta, that fertilizing the roses with the powder.

My thought is you are going to make loads out of powder (s) you don't want to use anymore then match grade load development is a waste of time, might as well make middle of the road shootem' up ammo. Shooten' them up will still be mo' betta, that fertilizing the roses with the powder.

That's where my head is at. Just wanted to run it by some more knowledgeable folks to see if there was a reason I was missing not to.

I think there's more than speed at play. Otherwise you could use any powder and get the same speed and poi. In real life, it doesn't work that way. Some powders are inherently better than others in certain calibers. Harmonics come into play.
Of course. That's why I suggested to load 5 of each.

In this test, were all of the powders the same, or was it all one type of ammo and only one powder?

I only ask because different powders are also going to leave a different residue in the bore which has been shown (or so I've read by F-class shooters) to make a change in poi until several rounds with said powder have been put down range.

I loaded up 119 rounds today with 42.9 grns of RL15 and 168 grn SMKs (it must have not been a full pound).

For the hell of it, and out of curiosity, I'll keep loading until I get all the powder used. I'll shoot groups with each batch loaded to published data that should be around 2550 FPS, then I'll shoot some groups of mixed.

I'll post up the results. I'll see if I can get a chrono in the meantime.

I only ask because different powders are also going to leave a different residue in the bore which has been shown (or so I've read by F-class shooters) to make a change in poi until several rounds with said powder have been put down range.
Different powders, shots to foul the barrel before testing, same cartridge/bullet/target MV, etc.
I believe the article is one of the ones I've listed above. I printed out the one with the pertinent information, but I'm too darned lazy to a) find the article and b) re-read it.
You'd think we had more time with this C-19 BS, but I am busier than ever with work, home remodeling, honey-doos and family drama.
And all I want to do is be a low-priority American and go shooting.
I read the articles because I still like to improve and practice, but long ago I gave up on the notion that I was a good shot.

Kinda off topic....sorry for the thread drift.
But my post does have "random powder"...

As some of you may be aware ...I enjoy shooting muzzleloading firearms....:D
I have some older books from the 1930's that have data for what they call "Duplex-Loads"...
Which in these books are a mix of smokeless and black powder.
The idea here was to prevent the corrosive effects of using all black powder....
Please do not attempt to duplicate these loadings....Dangerously high pressure may be the result.

Again sorry for the thread drift.
Andy

A different point of view. Ah ... the joys and $economical$ benefits, (?) of hand loading. If it were me I would drown, destroy, burn, etc., etc., all your powder odds and ends. Perhaps you can find a good use for it. This depends upon how much of each you have.

I for one would hesitate shooting off anybody's hand loads. Some times I hesitated shooting off my own hand loads. Weakening that chain of events leading up to disaster may not be a good idea. Sometimes one has to chuck loose or unneeded odds and ends.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top