JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Over the years, I accumulate powder that I bought for rifles I no longer own or cartridges I'm no longer interested in. I've got 8208 XBR, H 4895, IMR 4064, RL 15, and RL17.

There is load data for each of these powders for .308 in 168 grain. If I was to use up all the random powder for bulk ammo and load them all to the published, say 2600 FPS range, would the POI be significantly different for range ammo from one powder to another considering the different burn speeds?

Basically I want to load it all up and dump it all into ammo cans.

I would hope the shots would be within a 3-4" impact area if you're holding the same speeds. I've honestly never tested your theory though.

If all of the loads used the same bullet, seated at the same depth and they had a velocity spread of 100-150fps, I would expect little variation in overall group size.
But, if ya wanna do a little experiment you could segregate in batches by powder type and see if one stands out as the best.

I should expand on my original comment, #7 above.

To do what you suggest would involve a lot of variation to begin with. Book values vary. Temperatures vary. Atmospheric pressure varies. To get a better picture, you'd have to ladder several loads of each and shoot them across a chronograph to get them all within the desired range of velocity, then compare point of impact.

Having said the foregoing, for "good enough" shooting, using book data you'd likely wind up good enough for deer hunting. After all, it's not unknown for hunters to take a box of 20 or this and another box of 20 of that afield. Obviously those two boxes are gonna print different POI even same bullet weight.

Over the years, I accumulate powder that I bought for rifles I no longer own or cartridges I'm no longer interested in. I've got 8208 XBR, H 4895, IMR 4064, RL 15, and RL17.

There is load data for each of these powders for .308 in 168 grain. If I was to use up all the random powder for bulk ammo and load them all to the published, say 2600 FPS range, would the POI be significantly different for range ammo from one powder to another considering the different burn speeds?

Basically I want to load it all up and dump it all into ammo cans.
How much of each do you have left? Perhaps a trade could be made to get you more of one kind of powder. Still not ideal but it could get you closer.

How much of each do you have left? Perhaps a trade could be made to get you more of one kind of powder. Still not ideal but it could get you closer.

I have a pound and a half of 8208 XBR and RL 17 and full pounds of the rest. Im just trying to simplify my life and get to one load per cartridge and hopefully overlap some powders. There is a local forum I could throw them up on. It's hot right now so they might move.

I load for .223, .308, 6.5 CM, and 7mm mag.

Any ballisticians in the house? I would think that, setting internal ballistics aside, exit (muzzle) velocity would be all that matters. Easy enough to load up 5 of each and put them to the test.

Any ballisticians in the house? I would think that, setting internal ballistics aside, exit (muzzle) velocity would be all that matters. Easy enough to load up 5 of each and put them to the test.

I think so. Like stated, I think the question is the accuracy of the of the published velocity and I'm currently chronographless. My brother has a lab radar I could use, I'm just busy and lazy.

I think there's more than speed at play. Otherwise you could use any powder and get the same speed and poi. In real life, it doesn't work that way. Some powders are inherently better than others in certain calibers. Harmonics come into play.

... Harmonics come into play.

This!

Different powders have differing burn rates and resultant pressure curves. So the barrel harmonics will be different for each load, even with identical bullets and muzzle velocity. How much difference? Not much for your intended purposes. If you are on your hind legs shooting at that tennis ball you probaly would not notice it at all within 100 yards or so of range.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top