JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OMG......I guessed I learned it wrong (from watching the TV set).

I mean....

Left hand grabbing the waistband of my pants to hold it up. And, using the right hand......I'd be.....holding that gat horizontally, pushing it way out in front of me. Pulling trigger (aka: firing) and all the while yelling, "You ain't bad!"

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake"

Aloha, Mark

I find that training exclusively with any one weapon, or method of sighting, makes for a one-trick pony. I truly hope I never find myself in a dire situation involving firearms. But since emergencies don't happen when we want them to, or go as planned, I drill for the following:

- Either eye.
- Both eyes open.
- Single handed with either hand.
- Moving evasively/advancing.
- Fast reloads.
- Iron sights, scope, red dot, peep, point and shoot.

Are some/most of these awkward at first? Hell yes. Extremely! But with a little practice, none of them, in any combination, will be totally foreign if that's how reality one day presents itself. Then, with any luck, I'll be the better-prepared player when things go sideways.

Besides... it's fun.

I cannot see my rear sight, so I don't bother trying, I shoot instinctive relying on muscle memory and training, and I can consistently put all rounds in a 6 inch circle, 30+ years of doing it has gotten me here!
I usually alternate between Weaver and 3 point, but i'm usually angled more toward weaver, I never stay stationary, i'm always moving ether to engage, or a "Fighting retreat" to cover! One habit I have yet to break from all my years of Mil was a low ready hold, having the pistol below line of sight and then snap to full arm extension and shoot! Doing a few training sessions the instructors didn't like me doing that and tried to train me to draw and bring the pistol up to the eye, I still revert to my low ready, I guess you cannot train enough to break habits for good or ill!

With the asshattery over, my personal preference is a front sight focus or keeping eyes on the target. I don't do well with a rear sight focus.
I just really was wondering if anyone else ever trains with this type of drill. I love to train but want drills to be useful ya know.

I cannot see my rear sight, so I don't bother trying, I shoot instinctive relying on muscle memory and training, and I can consistently put all rounds in a 6 inch circle, 30+ years of doing it has gotten me here!
I usually alternate between Weaver and 3 point, but i'm usually angled more toward weaver, I never stay stationary, i'm always moving ether to engage, or a "Fighting retreat" to cover! One habit I have yet to break from all my years of Mil was a low ready hold, having the pistol below line of sight and then snap to full arm extension and shoot! Doing a few training sessions the instructors didn't like me doing that and tried to train me to draw and bring the pistol up to the eye, I still revert to my low ready, I guess you cannot train enough to break habits for good or ill!
Thanks for that "insight" and I understand the military habit - I've seen it in many vet shooters

I just really was wondering if anyone else ever trains with this type of drill. I love to train but want drills to be useful ya know.
if you think about precision shots, you should focus on the sight, if it's draw and go, you should have trained enough to hit Minute of Man target out to 20 yards with a point and shoot.

Any additional training is always a good thing. Don't forget about weak hand dominance too..:D

I file the front sight down on all my guns. Gives me a 1/2 second drop.

(I'm trying to remember what movie this is from :D)

if you think about precision shots, you should focus on the sight, if it's draw and go, you should have trained enough to hit Minute of Man target out to 20 yards with a point and shoot.

Any additional training is always a good thing. Don't forget about weak hand dominance too..:D

You are right!
Work your shooting with the other hand. Many times in paintball, the best cover will make shooting with you other hand necessary.

Yep, I'm the worst offhand shooter - train train train

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top