JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like an idiot i primed 50 223 cases with small pistol primers today. As luck and routine would have it i discovered this error when i was shifting over to charging. I gingerly de-capped the primers (yes i was wearing safety glasses) and sat them aside and finished up my loads. What are the chances that these primers will work in some light 38spl loads? The anvil is slightly deformed but looks like it should work. I'm trying to avoid loading 50 pistol rounds only to pull a squib and disassemble a bunch of rounds. And of save 50 primers too.

I got lucky today, ALWAYS double check your work, components and records at each reloading step!
Stay Safe,

Yep - a couple years ago I was using SR primers to load .357 for my Winchester Trapper. Only because I had a lot of SR primers and no other 'small rifle' rounds to use them in and I saved my SP primers for 9mm & .38. Now I have a .223 so they will be shared.

In have done this, I'm not sure I would use the for hunting, but target shooting I would feel ok, the worst that can happen is dud

WRONG! THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN IS A SLOW PAINFUL DEATH. It's just not that likely in this case :)

Yea, you can use them, be careful when re-seating them, and also make sure they havn't been so warped by the process that they just fall out of the case. If primers weren't in such short supply right now I would say "pfft, why bother"

Thanks guys! i figured id ask to be on the safe side as well as share my failed to pay attention story. Those beat up primers will find a good home under some Trailboss and 125gr cast 38s.
I'd hate to toss primers when there are none on the store shelves.

WRONG! THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN IS A SLOW PAINFUL DEATH. It's just not that likely in this case :)

Yea, you can use them, be careful when re-seating them, and also make sure they havn't been so warped by the process that they just fall out of the case. If primers weren't in such short supply right now I would say "pfft, why bother"

Before I found out on the Internet that I shouldn't, I reused primers I had to remove for one reason or another for years. They seat a little easier but the cup expands instantly when fired to provide a good seal (that is if you have cleaned the primer pockets properly).

Even today, with the shortage, I don't really bother with recovering primers I've improperly installed. I just take extra effort to make sure I'm using the right one.

I used to call up one of the local gun shops periodically (that had a high turnover) and say I was looking for rimfire primers. I would almost be assured a lot of frantic looking, confusion and cursing. It was kinda like the time I was walking around REI and one of the salesman was bugging me, so I told him I couldn't find the back azimuths.

I used to call up one of the local gun shops periodically (that had a high turnover) and say I was looking for rimfire primers. I would almost be assured a lot of frantic looking, confusion and cursing. It was kinda like the time I was walking around REI and one of the salesman was bugging me, so I told him I couldn't find the back azimuths.

One time in Bi-Mart I asked for a DVD rewinder. :s0114: The clerk looked and looked and looked. Then she made a call over the PA for the department manager. When she arrived she looked and looked and looked also. Finally she told me to try Best Buy. :huh:

When we got into the truck the wife said I should feel guilty for putting them through that. I asked her when they will realize what it was I asked for? :D

Regarding the primers. As long as they are used only for the range, then I don't see why small pistol and small rifle primers can't be used interchangeably. FWIW I've used small rifle primers in 9mm with no discernible difference a lot of times. But I don't load my plinking loads anywhere near the max. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top