JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
61Ogy7szvRL._AC_SL1010_.jpg

Close range blunderbuss and black powder cannon anti personnel loads.

Mix of change jar , junk drawer and bent nails won't fly far ,or with much accuracy. But I wouldn't want to be on the recieving end.
Even better then that, wad up a bunch of change in a tin foil wad mixed with black powder and rolled into the tightest ball you can get it, puncture and insert canon fuse and tape to the "Shell" with just enough free fuse to stick out to light. You can apply a slow match or fire from a canon or big bore blunderbuss, makes for a nasty daisy cutter shell/grenade! Also works with small rocks, gravel!

There are true copper pennies still to be found in circulating coinage. Not a great many but they are there if you keep your eyes open. Have you priced copper washers lately? Copper pennies with a hole drilled through the center are a lot cheaper.

Coinage will be worthless as currency, the only reason why it has any value at all now is because it is guaranteed by the government to be accepted everywhere. If it weren't for the government making that so, there would be no guarantee that another random person would value it at all compared to goods they are interested in obtaining or goods they already have.

Only with a system of government in place is fiat currency of any value. If we are talking a reset of society type of situation, there wouldn't be a government to make the coinage have any value, and who are we kidding, the enemies of the US would not sit idly by with America in ruins, they'd be happy to gobble it up.

In terms of an alternative use for coins: They fly pretty good out of a wrist rocket.

Cheaper than buckshot out of a 12 gauge, but you gotta warp them first

I watched a movie yesterday (News of the World) where Tom Hanks smoked a couple of baddies with a gauge full of dimes.

Short movie review:
Texas. A western. Quite boring. Only two gunfights. Both decent enough, if unnecessarily drawn-out with scenes being repeated... Hanks also has a Remington 1858 revolver which he fires w two hands, a rare sight in Hollywood.

There are true copper pennies still to be found in circulating coinage. Not a great many but they are there if you keep your eyes open. Have you priced copper washers lately? Copper pennies with a hole drilled through the center are a lot cheaper.
1982 was when they changed from solid copper alloy to a zinc slug with thin copper overlay. Just sit and rub a modern penny long enough and you'll rub right through the copper...

Melting coins for bullet casting would be a waste of time and energy. There will be lots of lead in dead car batteries which will be much easier to collect, melt down and mold into bullets

Ever tried this?
Yep
Gotta be careful of the acids and don't breathe the fumes as you start melting the lead for ingots. The smelting burns off any acid residue
Best to do it on a breezy day in your backyard or in a very well ventilated area. I didn't know how dangerous fumes from melting the lead battery plates would be so outside on a breezy day with a gas mask and thick gloves for the whole process. I dumped all the liquids from the battery into a large glass pickle jar, then I left the battery open to the air for a couple days then sawed the battery open> I had a bucket of water with baking soda mixed to use if I got acid on me, or spilled acid as well as for throwing the plates into to neutralize the acid. I tossed the "clean" plates in my cast iron kettle with some paraffin and put it on my 30K btu burner.
I had a Lee 2 ingot mold which was slow to use so I found an old cupcake tin to use as well and with an old steel ladle, I poured the lead into the molds. I made a bunch of ingots which then gathered dust till I sold them all at our house sale prior to moving up here.
It was more work than it was worth at the time but I proved to myself that I could do it.
The lead in batteries is pure, so you need to add some tin to harden it for bullets
Lead wheel weights OTOH are hard enough and you can melt them down and cast bullets straight from the melting pot, but battery lead needs alloying/hardening before you use it for centerfire bullets, unless you enjoy really scrubbing your barrels.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top